Helix autochart use on the ice

• Connor Erhardt

I have a few lakes i want to fish this winter that you cant graph in the summer and i saw that you could do it with the ice ducer. My question is how much range does this cover when using the 21° at lets say 20 feet. Normally your cone range at 20 feet is only a couple feet so do you have to drill holes every 15 feet to map it out well?

BackwaterICE

it’ll tell you the bottom coverage in the flasher menu – you’re gonna have to drill a lot of holes! I mapped my small pond using a rowboat, could you not do the same in some of the best looking spots on these lakes?

Connor Erhardt

Yeah thats what i was afraid of. Ill probably rig some mount for my canoe and take it over there and graph the spots i fish. Im not going to be that guy drilling 40 holes to find out the best spot is where i already knew it was.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Why can’t you just take your helix out in the summertime make an auto chart map and save it? Then you can just use the GPS part of it in the winter time, that works doesn’t it? I’m planning to do that on the upper Mississippi where there are very few maps.

Connor Erhardt

I would have to do it with a kayak or canoe that i could hike in 2 miles atleast for some of the spots. Its not an easy walk without the kayaks since its in the adirondacks but theres some good trout and none of the lakes are mapped so i was hoping to make a few maps up there and have more knowledge then anyone has ever had on the lakes. Ive never heard of anyone getting a kayak up there and with the way the trail is in the summer you wouldnt make it 100 yards.

Connor Erhardt

With my luck id loose the rc boat and the helix unit lol

Deuces

Hope for clear first ice, keep the ducer wet and mapping on top possibly?

BackwaterICE

through ice mapping would only work if you were making constant contact with the ice…you’d have to slide the transducer across the ice to keep a steady, non-0, return. The map would show false positive high spots (

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.