Helix 7 MSI GPS G3N Update to 2.930

• Chris Hackett

Hey All-

Any help with getting this unit on the latest firmware? Somehow I was able to successfully update the unit to version 2.280 AND updated the basemap to 2.010 (even though I use Navionics.

Now for the life of me, I can NOT get the unit to recognize an SD card with the update on it. I belive that prior to 2.280 you were supposed to insert the SD card with the update on it BEFORE you power the unit on, but now you’re supposed to power it on and THEN insert the SD card. Either way, all that happens is that my unit will freeze up and become unresponsive.

I’ve seen various suggestions to do a quick format of the SD card (fat 32) and to make sure it’s 32gb or less in size. I’ve seen people suggest formatting it, then inserting it into the unit to get the “SD card successfully encrypted” message on it, THEN transferring the .bin update file to the SD card. I’ve tried that and still, the unit just freezes, whether I insert the card after it’s booted or before.

This is really driving me nuts. Should would appreciate some help is anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
    Chris

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

You probably checked this, but another common issue is not downloading the correct version of the update. The version has to match your unit exactly. I.e. HELIX 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N if yours is as described in your post title. Otherwise your troubleshooting with the SD card is what I would’ve done. Could try a different SD card??

Chris Hackett

You probably checked this, but another common issue is not downloading the correct version of the update. The version has to match your unit exactly. I.e. HELIX 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N if yours is as described in your post title. Otherwise your troubleshooting with the SD card is what I would’ve done. Could try a different SD card??

I appreciate the response, thank you. Yeah, I have to admit that for a while I was using the wrong update file, but I believe I got that sorted. I will triple check to be sure though.
    I have tried multiple SD cards. According the the Humminbird/JOhnson Outdoors website, the SD card has to be “Class 10” and it has to be 32gb or less. I have several and have tried all of them. I’ve tried doing “quick format” and a full format on them, but with no luck.
    I’ve opened a support case with Humminbird, we’ll see what they have to say.

Thanks!
    Chris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.