Helix 5 vs Elite 5…..Help Wanted

• jeff henry

Hey guys looking for some input on both of these graphs to be used primarily on hard water with the potential to use on the boat. I have been ice fishing for a few years mainly sight fishing for perch where I could get away with out any electronics.
    This year I am gearing up for some lakers and white fish in 100 plus FOW where electronics are a must.
    I am very fond of the “Graph” style. I am thinking either the Helix 5 Or the elite 5. Can anyone recomened one over the other?
    I fish with a buddy who runs a Ice 55 or 35. and another guy who just purchased the helix 5 ice. want a unit that will not interfere with these. any help would be appreciated

JoeMX1825
    MN

I used the Elite-5 for years, great on the ice! I would use it on my ATV handlebars for mapping to spots, then attach it to the Lowrance Icepack and use in the flipover… I prefered the graph over the flasher dial…

Jon

I have a Helix 5 SI if your interested. Like new, $350

612-502-4622
    Jon

404 ERROR
    MN

I have an Elite-5 mounted in my SXS for mapping in the summer on trails and it is really nice. I cannot comment on the flasher or lakemap side of things because I do not like Navionics and I don’t have a transducer mounted. I also have a Helix 5 Ice and it is great. It isn’t as fast as a traditional flasher, but it gets the job done. The best thing about the Helix, IMO is Lakemaster compatibility.

At those depths, I would be more concerned about cone angle and reach…a flasher style unit with a narrow beam might suit you better. Both the Helix and Elite-5 have a 20 degree cone angle, which at 100+ FOW is around a 35′ reach…If you got a unit with a 9 or 10 degree angle, your reach would be around 15-20′. Fishing at those depths with a wide angle transducer will drive you insane at times. You will be wondering why the fish you’re marking aren’t responding to your movement, only to find out they’re 40′ to the side of you. Getting used to the unit and being able to differentiate mark sizes in relation to fish location are huge in that depth.

Any way you slice it, you will be happy with just about any unit you decide to snatch up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.