Helix 5 & 7 Glass Size

• Shawn U

Why is the 7 glass size so much bigger proportionally from the 5? The 5 has little unused glass around the edge but the 7 has much more unused glass. I keep looking and trying to decide if I go with a 5 or 7 for ice fishing, it’s really driving me nuts!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have a 5 and a 7 and use the 7 ice fishing.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

7″ user here. Used solely for ice fishing. Never regret the size even though it can look excessively large on the showroom shelf.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Son-in-law has a 5 inch on his pontoon and I have a 7 on the bow of the boat. Also use the 7 for ice fishing and would buy a 7. When running dual screens GPS and sonar or flasher and 2d or 2d and 2d zoom or whatever split screen you choose the extra real estate is nice to have.

Shawn U

I’m planning on mounting this to a Marcum Shuttle. The 5″ fits well with the 7″ getting pretty wide. I believe the two units are identical other than screen size? Also I will be mounting this to my kayak in the summer.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

I ice fish/kayak with a 5, would rather have a 7 most of the time for what its worth.

Shawn U

Mat
    That is the type of feedback I am looking for. I’m 50 and now wearing glasses for reading so perhaps the bigger screen is a better choice.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

If you want to use the circular flasher view while the helix is sitting on the ice and you are in a shack, I would highly recommend the 7 over the 5. I use the graph view on ice so its pretty easy to see from a distance.

The smaller size of the 5 is a little better in the cramped kayak but that’s about it

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Def go 7″ for split screen mode. Also helps when standing or sitting back a ways from the graph. IMO it’s money well spent for the jump to the 7″. I’m also running it on the Marcum Lithium Shuttle and really like it.

Shawn U

Good to hear Jamin, I kept leaning toward the 5″ but just haven’t heard anyone say they wish they had gotten the 5 over the 7. It is a $200 up charge to go to the 7 but if its worth it.

Now to wait and see what goes on sale! Hoping some new models come out and they blow out last years models.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

2g’s should be cheaper since they have g3 out

CN

Hi Shawn, I run the G2 7 inch on a shuttle for ice fishing, boat hopping and even on a kayak. Glad I went to the 7 inch vs. the 5. You will like it and want the larger screen. The only thing I am not a fan of is when ice fishing putting the shuttle in a bucket. The larger screen not a great fit. I have it in a seperate protective case for it. My brother has the 5 inch screen promarly on a mount on his kayak. He wished he had gone 7 for the larger screen. Better for slit screen and better viewing. Hope that helps for picking.

Shawn U

Chad, Thanks for that input. As reserved as I was about going bigger this has been great feedback. I will be going with the 7 based on the input from everyone on this thread.
    How’s the battery life with the 7 on the shuttle? I would also be running a Marcum Recon and supplementing its power with the Shuttle.

Thanks Again Everyone!

CN

The shuttle battery life is great. I can get a full day of power running it and I have an old iPod screen running off it as well. Not sure haw the Recon will affect it as I will be getting one of them myself this year to use.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Better for slit screen and better viewing.

blush Welcome to IDO! But please, this is a family website. wink

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.