Helix 12 Mega Si Question

• SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

In the description of this unit it says that it is side imaging and down imaging compatible. Will it do these functions with the transducer provided? Or is it a trick use of words that means I have to buy something else in order to make it work?

Red Eye

Pretty sure they sell em both ways. With and without transducers. Should say in description and on the box.

Kevin Yopp

Pretty sure it does si and di right out of the box, at least my helix 10 SI did.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Pretty sure it does si and di right out of the box, at least my helix 10 SI did.

Thanks Kevin, the provided transducer does these functions then?

Smellson

Yes, provided transducer does both

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Mega si comes with ducer capable of si, di, 2d.

Mega di …. ducer for di and 2d

Mega c?….ducer for 2d.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Do you have anything currently?

The latest birds can steal capabilities through networking. You used to have to buy all si, to get si on all. But not now! Good way to save $1k especially when Playing with the big screens. I would have to read up on whether that started in gen 2 or 3. Best thing they could’ve done if they’d done that year’s ago I be oodles ahead!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Just a brand new 21′ North River Seahawk so starting from scratch.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Well, I believe you could get a 5″ gen3 networkable in SI, and network it to a 12″ ci and save some big coin, and end up with 2 units both displaying SI. Of course you’d need to upgrade si ducer as I believe the small units come with lesser divers.

Food for thought

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Not sure if the 5s work for that, but I believe the 7s do now. Someone probably knows the answer.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Any Humminbird you buy make sure it has the N in the model number as that means networkable. I do not believe a 5 is and some 7`s are not either unless designated as such.

You have to be sure the transducer is included, as they do sell head units only, it will tell in the designation.

J.E. VanNatta

In the description of this unit it says that it is side imaging and down imaging compatible. Will it do these functions with the transducer provided? Or is it a trick use of words that means I have to buy something else in order to make it work?

There are no “tricks” from Humminbird. Plug and play with the exact features indicated.

The latest birds can steal capabilities through networking. You used to have to buy all si, to get si on all. But not now! Good way to save $1k especially when Playing with the big screens. I would have to read up on whether that started in gen 2 or 3. Best thing they could’ve done if they’d done that year’s ago I be oodles ahead!

Shared via ethernet not “steal” you have been able to share on networked units for years. All SI unit include SI/DI/2D. All DI units include DI/2D.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>

There are no “tricks” from Humminbird. Plug and play with the exact features indicated.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

Shared via ethernet not “steal” you have been able to share on networked units for years. All SI unit include SI/DI/2D. All DI units include DI/2D.

Never before could you display si on a ci. Now you can if done properly. Display and steal are one in the same as far as this discussion.

mojogunter

FYI helix and solix do not share sonar via ethernet. It has to be helix to helix, or solix to solix. I had a gen 3 helix 10 mega SI networked to a gen 2 helix 10 DI, and got SI on the DI unit. I am told though it wasn’t mega imaging on the DI unit. I was told it was 800 but I don’t know if that is true or not, but the SI did work on it. Changed the SI helix to a solix 12 and I can’t get them to pair now.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Can fish finders get anymore complicated! Ill be looking to upgrade next year to SI and my head spins just trying to examine the options within one manufacturer never mind compare what one offers to the others. Feel like i need a PHD just to make heads or tales of which unit is the best for me,. I digress

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Can fish finders get anymore complicated! Ill be looking to upgrade next year to SI and my head spins just trying to examine the options within one manufacturer never mind compare what one offers to the others. Feel like i need a PHD just to make heads or tales of which unit is the best for me,. I digress

A large part of me doesn’t even know if I will use SI but am willing to try it. Bets are that I use 2d like I always have.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

If you get it figured out, let me know. I will be shopping for a new boat in the coming year.

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

A large part of me doesn’t even know if I will use SI but am willing to try it. Bets are that I use 2d like I always have.

once you use it…you will use it all the time!!!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Haha. I was chatting with the griz Monday. Last time I saw he’d updated to a helix 9. (From something built 50yrs ago ) )

Monday I asked jokingly if he figured it out… he’s like, its easy… all I want is the depth. Don’t use anything else…I said… so your going to the same spots fishing the same way and hammering fish eh! Lol. He’s one that knows what he wants and is quite content there!
    Man he’s slowing down though.

Hbirds started getting complicated once they started lowering the price point to appeal to the masses. Most people won’t spend $400 on a unit… so they had eliminated features to accomplish this.

I don’t keep up with that crap because they’re a fraction of what you get by sticking with the higher end variety.

And yes, solix has always been the ugly stepchild that don’t play with the family.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>J.E. VanNatta wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

Never before could you display si on a ci. Now you can if done properly. Display and steal are one in the same as far as this discussion.

Not one and the same. I have this set up in my boat. You can display on any screen, but you can’t control it from the display unit. And for whatever reason it doesn’t look the same. I have a Helix 12 SI G2N that I display on either my Helix 9 G2N or on my Helix 12 G3N. It doesn’t look nearly as good on the display units. It’s functional, but not the same.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Superdave,

SI is good for shallow water trolling. I find it completely useless for anything more than 15ft, but maybe that’s just me. I can see those walleyes 40 ft out to the port side but it doesn’t mean I can put them in the boat LOL

My Helix 7 si GPS G2 came with the correct Si ducer out of the box. The catch was (maybe still is?) if you want the image shown on the box advertisements, you need to buy a better “HD” transducer. I have no need for better resolution on a 7″ screen anyway so I stuck with the “compact side imaging” transducer it came with.

Good luck

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Not one and the same. I have this set up in my boat. You can display on any screen, but you can’t control it from the display unit. And for whatever reason it doesn’t look the same. I have a Helix 12 SI G2N that I display on either my Helix 9 G2N or on my Helix 12 G3N. It doesn’t look nearly as good on the display units. It’s functional, but not the same.

Good to know, didn’t know that. I just have two big si units and haven’t felt the need to go to a mega just to turn it off anyway. Again. Thanks.

J.E. VanNatta

Solix and Helix units will share waypoints and that is all.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.