Helix 10 Ulterra tm disconnecting & reconnecting

• Phillip Ames

Guys, I have a Helix 10 g4n msi at the console, and a 24volt Ulterra w/msi at the bow. When running the Helix, the Ulterra will show connected, then a short time later wil pop up as disconnected. This usually results in the motor breaking connection with I-pilot, causing the motor to lose connection and stops prop, and disconnecting with auto pilot/spot lock or what I am doing. I have a Helix 9 g4n msi that I swapped in today and same problem. I can shut off the Helix and the motor runs flawless. I am going to get it on the water next week and call HB CSR. I am wondering if any of you have run into this before, and what you did to correct.
    Thanks
    Phil

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Do both have the latest software updates that’s the first question they will ask you?

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

After they ask you about the software they will ask whether you’ve tried a different ethernet cord and helix dongle?

I have an issue on my network, but I’ve isolated it to the Helix 12 on the bow since it will only happen if that unit is involved no matter where I move it to. Any unit I swap out for it works just fine.

Since you tried swapping units and it still happened it could be software, ethernet cord, helix dongle or I suppose it could be an issue with the trolling motor itself.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Also the trolling motors can be very voltage sensitive. I was having all kinds of issues and realized that the previous owner did not upgrade the plug and receptacle when he went up to an 80lb ultrex. Since I’ve upgraded that, I have had far fewer issues.

Now the only issues I have with my trolling motor are if I leave my Helix 12 networked. I mainly use that for 360 so I just took it off the network for now.

Phillip Ames

The soft in my Helix 10 is upto date. I am pretty sure that the I-pilot is upto date as well. I tried to reinstall it to make sure, but motor kept kicking in and out this morning. The Helix 10 is the only unit on the boat. I have mega live with the network box.

Karry Kyllo

I had the same problem with my Helix 9 G4N and Quest Ulterra in the past. I found that my ethernet cable wasn’t completely tight at the trolling motor and tightening the connection pretty much solved the issue for me. If it does disconnect and it still does but very rarely now, rebooting the display always solves it.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Have you tried bypassing the network box, and connect the HU directly to the TM and see if there’s a disconnect?

If you can; go Network cable from TM, dongle, Helix.

If problems persist, then you know it’s either the cable or box.

Then, or first(before what I mentioned first), try a different port on the network box, one at a time, first move trolling motor, same issue, then try HU.

This stuff can be fun to trace, but the best start to process by elimination.

Phillip Ames

Guys, thanks alot. You have given me some things to try.

Tom schmitt

I had this exact issue with my units, assuming you are running a network box.
    My issue was the power cord to the network box was bad. Intermittent connection. New power cord. Problem solved.

Phillip Ames

So was the whole unit going down? I am not losing my depth finder or gps, just the troll motor becoming disconnected, then reconnecting within a few seconds. But, enough that it shuts prop off, cuts my auto-pilot/spot lock. Very frustrating.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.