Heggies is Frozen Pizza Champ

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If anyone cares to share a recipe or technique for making them yourself at home I’m all ears. I’ve tried several times to make our own as a fun family thing and the kids have a good time but I’ve never had a homemade pizza I thought turned out good

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I have never had a home pizza turn out well either.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Worlds best………………..

Ritz cracker.
    Add a dob of pizza sauce.
    Add slice of pepperoni.
    Sprinkle cheese of your choice on top.
    Pop cookie sheet into the oven and melt cheese.

yay grin

Ice Cap

Worlds best………………..

Ritz cracker.
    Add a dob of pizza sauce.
    Add slice of pepperoni.
    Sprinkle cheese of your choice on top.
    Pop cookie sheet into the oven and melt cheese.

yay grin

That sounds like a great snack and easy to make. What do you run the oven at 350? Five to 10 minutes in the oven?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Until you burn your tongue on the cheese & sauce. grin

I would think 5 minutes on 325 should do it.

Brad Dimond

Go to the Food Network and do some searches. So many ways to go on this question.

For the dough, I’ll go with this one from Bobby Flay.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe-1921714

-J.

That’s very close to the recipe I use. I don’t mess around with the 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp for olive oil, just go for three Tbsp. As written above, I add spices to the crust for additional flavor. Also, use an olive oil spray (Pam or something similar) for the bowl. I let it all rise in one bowl, then divide it in to three pieces. One gets rolled out immediately, the others are frozen.

Pizza sauce
    1 15 ounce can Hunts No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
    1 6 ounce can Hunts No Salt Added Tomato Paste
    Basil, oregano and garlic to taste
    Heat is a sauce pan on low for 15 minutes

Ladle ½ of the pizza sauce onto the rolled out crust. Cover with toppings of choice.

Bake in a hot oven (450-500 degrees F) until cheese begins to brown (10 minutes or so). Remove from oven, let rest 5 minutes before slicing.

Tip – spray olive oil on the pizza pan before putting crust on the pan. Use of a pizza stone delivers a more evenly baked crust.

AnotherFisherman

Red Baron
    Pizza Corner
    Lotzza Mottza
    Screamin’ Sicilian (brand not type)
    Jack’s
    Digornio moon

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yep. Heggies is by far #1 for me. Six Pack or Inferno all day!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Jack’s on the grill when you find them for 5 for $10 are the best value when you add what you like.
    Hedgies are great on the grill. Absolutley hate latsa Matsa. Tasteless.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

These are the best tomatoes I’ve found for any Italian sauces.

Dump the can in a blender along with a few cloves of garlic, oregano,a couple tablespoons olive oil,cayenne pepper to adjust the heat. Simple and fantastic!

And use real mozzarella cheese, not the preshredded stuff.

Attachments:
    1. 15862144539626239714770985270013.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Dump the can in a blender along with a few cloves of garlic, oregano,a couple tablespoons olive oil,cayenne pepper to adjust the heat. Simple and fantastic!

Where do you get that?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If anyone cares to share a recipe or technique for making them yourself at home I’m all ears. I’ve tried several times to make our own as a fun family thing and the kids have a good time but I’ve never had a homemade pizza I thought turned out good

We have a pizza box…..look them up. Just basically a bar style pizza oven.

Kowalskis pizza dough, red savoy sauce, fresh mozzarella, shredded mozzarella, fresh shaved Parmesan, a little garlic salt and pizza seasoning. Add spicy pork sausage, mushrooms, and tear up some prosciutto. You’ll never do frozen pizza again.

Attachments:
    1. D5ACEB2A-E88A-4B85-9C65-C5B1649D2B22.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Matt,
    Do you preheat your stone?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Matt,
    Do you preheat your stone?

We just use the stone to cut the pizza. We make them in this. It’s just two oven coils and the tray spins. I can’t believe it actually works but it’s amazing.

Attachments:
    1. 7E661953-DCBF-4485-A470-AFF1DEFA901C.jpeg

2. EFE5C796-875A-409D-B8CA-47F3D8D9AF6E.jpeg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

Where do you get that?

most stores carry them. The Walmart up here has them. Cost a little more but the difference in taste very noticeable.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Pizza Corner puts heggies to shame

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Pizza Corner puts heggies to shame

My in-laws are from ND. My wife even worked at Pizza Corner in high school. Pizza Corner is a religion to them.

I think Pizza Corner is above and beyond the worst frozen pizza ever. And when you thought it couldn’t get any worse, they got bought out and it somehow got even worse. It tastes like baked cardboard with some cheese sprinkled on – and it is expensive.

Literally anything else please.

Lund4Life

For me it’s a two pizza rotation 1. Lozza Mozza and 2. Bellatoria.

The best part is that Costco sells both of these pizzas in 3 packs.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Try throwing a Heggie’s or Lotza Motza in the pellet smoker. 325 degrees for about 45 minutes in the Green Mountain Daniel Boone. The crust and smoked cheese turn out fantastic.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Try martha white pizza dough mix you can get a county market
    That’s what we use on a pizza stone and heat pizza stone to 475-500 In the kamato joe

Coletrain27

Try throwing a Heggie’s or Lotza Motza in the pellet smoker. 325 degrees for about 45 minutes in the Green Mountain Daniel Boone. The crust and smoked cheese turn out fantastic.

i do that alot on my traeger. cheese turns nice and yellow and nice smoke flavor. i usually start mine slow at 180-220 to get more of the smoke flavor

Gitchi Gummi

I can’t eat even a slice of Heggies crapola because of the absolutely massive amount of salt/sodium in these things. It’s basically a slice of instant, sodium-induced high blood pressure.

Why’s it gotta be this way? Why in the hell would you need to add 950 to a whopping 1200 MG PER SLICE of sodium to a FROZEN pizza? Yes, that is correct. 950 to 1200 MG for every slice. That’s about 50% of your recommended daily sodium intake for each slice.

Get this, guys. If Heggies pizza started with no sodium whatsoever, to get it up to the 1200 MG per slice that the Deluxe contains, you’d have to sprinkle a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of Morton’s table salt over EACH SLICE to get it up to 1200 MG. There’s basically a whole salt shaker worth of Morton’s table salt on every pizza.

My goal in life is to live well beyond 65, but man I can’t see how anyone even makes it that far with the high sodium food that’s absolutely everywhere these days. And for no reason that I can figure out.

It’s not just Heggies, almost every frozen pizza has out of control sodium amounts. I make all our own pizzas now.

Grouse

+1 on the sodium comments and its not just related to pizza.. the sodium concerns are in every type of food out there these days… This is kind of related but for the same reasons grouse mentioned, I started making my own taco seasoning due to the insane amount of sodium in store bought taco seasoning and the fact that I eat tacos just about weekly. Now its to the point that if I eat tacos made from the store bought stuff, the sodium is much more noticeable and I can hardly handle eating it.

Homemade taco seasoning recipe with zero salt (for 1 LB of beef):
    1 TBSP Chili powder
    1/4 TSP Garlic Powder
    1/4 TSP Oregano
    1/4 TSP Crushed red pepper
    1/2 TSP Paprika
    1 1/2 TSP Cumin
    Fresh ground pepper to taste

Sylvanboat

You want to argue about pizza? Come on down to Chicago.

JEREMY
    BP

Ive always liked cold spaghettios out of the can but don’t eat them anymore because of all the sodium. Never paid attention to frozen pizza but holy crap is it really that bad. I don’t even like salt on my French fries I cant believe I eat that much from pizza.

Deuces

If anyone cares to share a recipe or technique for making them yourself at home I’m all ears

Chef boyardee for us, nothing special, add a bag of mozz cheese. Maybe it’s just an acquired taste

Lunch is served!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200407_131506494.jpg

Reef W

You want to argue about pizza? Come on down to Chicago.

We’re talking about pizza, not casseroles or soups served in bread bowls devil

JEREMY
    BP

We normal folks like our cheese on the top not the sauce.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.