GPS puck location

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I think my Dad’s boat may have been rigged incorrectly. I was under the impression that the GPS puck should be placed on a horizontal surface.

Does this location look like it will pose an issue?

jhalfen

That’s a lousy spot for a mount, in my opinion. Facing backwards like that is going to provide for weaker reception from satellites that are off the bow, and as the boat turns, the reception from satellites that are off the stern will decrease. In addition, the transom/gunwale will interfere with reception from satellites that are low to the horizon.

If he’s short on flat surfaces, consider using the RAM antenna mount which will allow the puck to be flat, as well as elevated to the extent that the transom and gunwale will be less obtrusive.

RAM antenna mount

walleyejoe
    Litchfield, MN

I guess you really can’t fix stupid. Bad spot and angle. Looks to me that some one just didnt want to go the extra mile and do it right the first time…

alumanator
    New Hope, MN

Here is a quick fix with out drilling more holes mount one of these brackets to hold the puck vertical. Click here

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I think it’s 100% fine, in fact I kind of like it. I’m confindent to say you’ll have no issues with the install, I have mine on a ram mount that’s often of kilter and weird angles, never, never an issue with SAT signals.

Seriously don’t sweat it one bit.

Edit just realized this was a bird (I run Lowrance), still I don’t think it’s an issue

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Seriously don’t sweat it one bit.

I’m with *Nick* on this one. It is not like the antenna is directional.

justlikefishing

Just a thought….I have an H20 hand held I carry around my neck or take with me in the car or boat. This thing is at every imaginable angle and seams to work ok!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I don’t think Jason’s point was the direction of the puck but that the location of it increases the possibility of satellite signal being obstructed. I would agree that the location may lead to poor satellite reception, especially from the transom and gunwale. However, he could simply test it out before making changes. Get the rig out on the water and pay attention to satellite reception at various times of the day. If there are times that the reception is poor it is possibly due to the loaction of the antenna. If that happens then I would change the location and mount it somewhere that it is not set down inside the boat so far, and so near the gunwales or transom.

justlikefishing

As for me I meant No disrespect toward Dr Halfen what so ever ……and I hope none was taken….. I was just making an observation…If it were my receiver I would move it.

reddog

I just spent 3 days trying out a 1197 on the bowmount. (ASGR50) I did not permanently mount the puck. It laid on the casting deck a minimun of 12 inches below the gunwale and usually within 4 inches of the side of the boat. One time I looked down and it was actualy upside down with no loss of signal…. ever. I dont have any idea how long it was upside down, but it was and yes, I uprighted it.

Id say give it a run first.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

That’s a lousy spot for a mount, in my opinion. Facing backwards like that is going to provide for weaker reception from satellites that are off the bow, and as the boat turns, the reception from satellites that are off the stern will decrease. In addition, the transom/gunwale will interfere with reception from satellites that are low to the horizon.

If he’s short on flat surfaces, consider using the RAM antenna mount which will allow the puck to be flat, as well as elevated to the extent that the transom and gunwale will be less obtrusive.

RAM antenna mount

I have to agree with Jason I would find a better location then what you have there. They recomend a clear veiw of the sky when mounting the puck and that is not a clear veiw.

jhalfen

Guys, I can’t tell you how much equipment dissatisfaction that I encounter….dissatisfaction that is quite often directly related to inadequate installations. Issues like:

“my GPS takes forever to lock”
    “my GPS won’t keep locked on”
    “my position jumps all over the place”
    “I can’t get a clear side image on one side”
    “my fish don’t show up like nice arcs in 2D sonar.”

The first place I look for solutions to all of these issues is GPS puck or transducer installations. Fixing those problems (or simply having them comply with the manufacturer’s recommendation) usually makes the equipment work precisely as advertised. Good-bye user dissatisfaction.

We make considerable investments in resources ($$$) to acquire these pieces of technology. It’s worth our time and effort to ensure that they are installed according to the manufacturer’s recommendation, so that they perform up to our expectations.

Now, that original GPS installation may be workable. However, I’m certain that, over time, some of the issues I noted above would creep into that user’s experience…and that would impact the user’s satisfaction with the equipment.

Just my $0.02!

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

my dad has same boat same spot no issues at all. maybe same boat rigger put it in. He has had it 2 year not a problem with signal loss or anything. I say give it a go. check to see as Jason mentioned but I am pretty sure you wont have any problems.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

As for me I meant No disrespect toward Dr Halfen what so ever ……and I hope none was taken….. I was just making an observation…If it were my receiver I would move it.

justlikefishing – I do not believe anyone took offense to your post or any of the posts here.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Did you choose to do anything with it? Let us know what you do decide.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Nothing yet. It’s dad’s boat and he lives up in Grand Rapids. I told him to test it out. So he pulled it out into the driveway and powered everything up. I haven’t looked at it yet, but he tells me it seems to work. Not sure if he’s looked at the satellite page though. Not that I’m a Humminbird expert, but I do have more experience than dad.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

I saw a Lindners show this weekend and they had a Humminbird GPS antenna mounted in almost the exact same spot on their boat. I think you’ll be fine.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I saw a Lindners show this weekend and they had a Humminbird GPS antenna mounted in almost the exact same spot on their boat. I think you’ll be fine.

Unless I’m mistaken that’s the same dealer Linder and the Glorvigens get their boats. That would make sense.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.