shopping for new locator

• garysignet

I am contemplating getting a new locator/gps and trying to choose between a Lowrance HDS or a Hummingbird with side imaging. Looking for opinions on what you like and dislike about your unit, and would you buy that unit again? Thanks.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I am not sponsored by Johnson Outdoors/Humminbird and this is just my humble opinion.

I have run a H-bird 1197 for the last few years as my primary locator, and had until this spring a 997 also. Both units have performed well above my expectations. Previous, I had been a hard-core Lowrance LMS-350 A user. Without a doubt, the humingbird is the leader in technology, user friendly, and variety of featured units in different budget ranges. If and when anything ever happens to my 1197’s, I will replace them with the equivilant H/Bird products.
    I have had a couple of clients now hire me to go out in their boat and instruct them on the use of their electronics. What a couple of guys thought would take them days to figure out, actually only took a few hours. That included time on the water to capture tons of screen shots (as well as review all the menu features) and time to work with the H-bird PC software to edit waypoints, updates, integrated Google Earth, creating back up files, and most importantly – learning more about the structure they fish from reviewing the screen captures.
    If you get an opportunity to get on the water with a Hummingbird owner, take advantage of it to check out how easy this technology is to use!

garysignet

Thanks Randy. I plan on moving my lowrance to the front and started researching their hds, but kept on hearing good things about hummingbird.
    Good fishing to you kind sir.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Gary, Welcome to In-Depth Outdoors!

I personally use a Lowrance unit on my boat but I’m a big fan of what Humminbird is doing. Lots of good comments from customers and guys here at IDO. I don’think you can go wrong with either. The one thing that has come up a lot recently is the issue of customer service. It does sound like it’s a little easier to get in touch with Humminbird customer service than Lowrance right now. That means a lot to many of our folks who are planning to spend large chunks of cash on a new unit. The most popular SI unit for us right now is the 998C.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.