hummingbird onix

• nebrwalleye

Ok….so who has on hands experience with the new HB product? Was about to pull the trigger on a 1199SSI when I see the Onix. Aside from the touch screen aspect anything “bigger & better”?

Ron
    Victoria, mn

It’s brand new this year, so the only people who have experience with it are HB employees and their pro staff, who get paid to say nice stuff about the product. Go to the Humminbird website and research it.

rogerr
    Maplewood, MN

Hi,
    You can see some snippets of the HB ONIX in action on YouTube videos (search for Humminbird ONIX (unfortunately most are in French! >>> there was a Electronics Expo held in Paris in mid December 2013 (where ONIX and ION were announced)). What you can see is a VERY sunlight viewable screen and menu manipulation (screen selection/performance) to die for!
    What you have to consider is that ONIX (or unlikely ION) can ONLY “talk to” to other ONIX’s or ION’s (and NOT to “old” HB technology). You will also be switching to digital sonar (yet to be determined what that means >>> but all new transducers!) as part of this transition.

You decide >>> BUT I can hardly wait!!!!

Take care,
    Roger

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

I have the onix on my new boat. It just got delivered last Thursday. I had the 998 on my old boat so I’m excited to learn all the goodies on the onix. auto chart is what I’m waiting to use. Being able to make my own maps of lakes that’s not charted yet. way to go humminbird!!! that why there the leader and lowrance follows

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Ok….so who has on hands experience with the new HB product? Was about to pull the trigger on a 1199SSI when I see the Onix. Aside from the touch screen aspect anything “bigger & better”?

I was able to have some hands on playing with one last fall at the dealer show. I wasn’t able to test and try everything but the touch screen being the biggest change. You can zoom in on maps and such by using the touch screen just like your phone. I really liked that. Also like someone mentioned you have the auto chart option. You can record and create your own maps of whatever water body you want. You don’t have to send it in to Humminbird either. When you create it, it yours and you can choose who you share it with.
    One other thing is if you have 2 onix units and they are networked together they will share 1 map chip!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Not sure why Hbird did this but the Onyx series will not Ethernet with legacy units.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

One other thing I will add with the ONIX. If you get the SI model it now has its own DI transducer built into the SI ducer, so its not using the si to get DI.
    The detail of DI will be better than previous years when running it through a SI ducer.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Quote:

One other thing I will add with the ONIX. If you get the SI model it now has its own DI transducer built into the SI ducer, so its not using the si to get DI.

The detail of DI will be better than previous years when running it through a SI ducer.

Any idea if this is an upgrade to the original HDSI ducer, or is this a different ducer specifically used with the onix?

Nevermind, doubt the nontouch units could utilize the third element anyway.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Quote:

Not sure why Hbird did this but the Onyx series will not Ethernet with legacy units.

Are you sure they won’t, or do they need an Ethernet adapter? Even the 99 series need an adapter to Ethernet to previous models.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure they won’t, or do they need an Ethernet adapter? Even the 99 series need an adapter to Ethernet to previous models.

The onix WILL ethernet with older units. They only thing they wont share between the 2 is a map chip. They can share any other info!

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

The onix does have auto chart speed?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The onix WILL ethernet with older units. They only thing they wont share between the 2 is a map chip. They can share any other info!

Now I am totally confused according to every thing I have read…. said Onyx will not share any information with the legacy units.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now I am totally confused according to every thing I have read…. said Onyx will not share any information with the legacy units.

Im waiting to hear an answer directly from humminbird but that is how I understood it.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Directly from humminbird the Onix will NOT ethernet with any other model other than onix

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

The onix does have auto chart speed?

Yes

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I wonder if this has anything to do with the WIFI capability of the unit? Why ethernet if you can WIFI the same info. to phones and tablets. Just speculating here.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Quote:

Eric,
    Do you think this will become the standard for all SI units in the future or just the Onix? I’m willing to hold out 1 year to get the better technology next season..

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Quote:

My guess is no on that. I do believe over the coarse of the next few years you will start to see everything move up to the touch screen technology but I don’t foresee any major changes like that to the current 8, 9, 1100 series units.

Eric,
    Do you think this will become the standard for all SI units in the future or just the Onix? I’m willing to hold out 1 year to get the better technology next season..

castle-rock-clown

I dropped a nice chunk of cash on h-bird this year, a 999si HD, an I-pilot Link, a 788ci HD a few transducers, external gps puck, weather sense, cables, mounts, and even a modified powerdrive converted to a transducer bow mount. While I appreciate some of the price drops, I don’t appreciate the discontinuing of some models that make obsolete some accessories. Maybe it’s easy for me to say, but I’m boycotting the ONIX, besides, I hate fingerprints on my screen.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I agree with the touchscreen in a boat arguement, although it might prove those who don’t catch fish, have clean Onix screens

reddog

Onix has both touch and buttons. Either will work.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.