Please explain Hummingbird models

• nebrwalleye

Well….original trolling motor on boat (2003 Maxxum) quit working so I went all the way when I replaced it. Terrova with IPilot Link. So I figure the day is near when i need to replace my 2 old Lowrance X15’s with new birds so I can take advantage of the compatability between the two. But I’ve been out of the sonar market I need a bit of help.

I want everything except 360 imaging. But so many of the units i’ve looked at only say they’re a “SI combo” or a “DI combo”. Is this all determined by the transducer you buy? Or the units only “SI” or “DI” specific? I want a 1198HD, with SI, DI, and Switchfire and I’m not seeing that. Thanks for any help explaining this to me.

jfricke72
    Northfield, MN

1198c has SI and DI. The down imaging with the 1198 isn’t as good as the 1158di bc the the transducers are different. The 1198 di isn’t as clear as the DI unit bc the transducer is designed for side imaging. Some one correct me if I’m wrong but to have switch fire sonar all you have to is add the high speed transducer(which is not supplied with either the 1198 or the 1158di) and a y-cable. You will not have 2d sonar without adding one either.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

You want an 1198 HD SI. This will do side-imaging, down-imaging, regualar sonar, and run your iLink. The side-imaging transducer is capable of SI and DI. The DI units come with a DI transducer and therefore cannot do side-imaging.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Any of the units that have SI combo will have side imaging, down imaging and 2D. When looking at DI units make sure they also have 2D some units don`t me personally I would want to keep 2D with DI..

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Any of the units that have SI combo will have side imaging, down imaging and 2D. When looking at DI units make sure they also have 2D. Some DI units don`t have 2D. Me personally, I would want to keep 2D with DI.

ivy2013tx
    Texas

Your comment is so useful. Thanks for your share

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.