HB Mounting Questions

• PaulV
    Eagan, MN

I finally decided to update my antiquated electronics (Lowrance LMS350A and X-75) with new HB units. I am planning to put a 998c SI on the console and a 788ci HD DI on the bow. Questions: 1)Is it really necessary to get a separate high-speed transducer and a y-cable for the 998 in order to get good sonar readings on plane? 2) Can I use the same external gps antenna for both units with a y-cable? I understand that some people have had issues with the internal antennas taking a long time to lock on to satellites and not giving accurate speed readings at low speeds, but I’m not sure that would really be an issue for me with the 788 in the bow. 3) Other than sharing waypoints, is there any benefit to linking these two units with an ethernet cable? 4) Would you recommend swapping the 788 transducer for one of the trolling motor transducers that I understand are now available, just using the HB trolling motor bracket, or maybe a transducer shield and saver (pretty pricey). http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/home/transducers?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=5

Sorry for the long list of questions, and thanks for any help you can give.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Quote:

I finally decided to update my antiquated electronics (Lowrance LMS350A and X-75) with new HB units. I am planning to put a 998c SI on the console and a 788ci HD DI on the bow. Questions: 1)Is it really necessary to get a separate high-speed transducer and a y-cable for the 998 in order to get good sonar readings on plane? NO
    2) Can I use the same external gps antenna for both units with a y-cable? You need the Ethernet cable
    I understand that some people have had issues with the internal antennas taking a long time to lock on to satellites and not giving accurate speed readings at low speeds, but I’m not sure that would really be an issue for me with the 788 in the bow. 3) Other than sharing waypoints, is there any benefit to linking these two units with an ethernet cable? Transducers
    4) Would you recommend swapping the 788 transducer for one of the trolling motor transducers that I understand are now available, just using the HB trolling motor bracket, or maybe a transducer shield and saver (pretty pricey). I would if you don’t have universal transducer in trolling motor! http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/home/transducers?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=5

Sorry for the long list of questions, and thanks for any help you can give.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.