Has anyone tried Dropshotting, NED Rig, or Floating Jig when icefishing?

• usmarine0352

Dropshotting and the NED Rig are both normally bass techniques but could be utilized for icefishing and with live minnows instead of plastics. But plastics could work also.

The floating jig head would just be used with a live minnow and weight.

Has anyone used these common bass techniques for icefishing before with success?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220227-122305_Chrome.jpg

2. Screenshot_20220227-122210_Chrome.jpg

3. Screenshot_20220227-121944_Chrome.jpg

brandmoney

I can tell you right now the ned wouldn’t work in most cases. It is not meant to be a vertical presentation, as the line tie is at a direct 90 degree angle. Through an ice hole, the bait would likely sit horizontal in the water column.

A drop shot could work, but is pretty impractical. Other than maybe getting the bait down deep faster, there’s not much of an advantage over a regular jig.

Deuces

Before the fancy tungsten ice flies I would dropshot trout flies, 2 on 1 line typically

kayl

I’ve done some dropshotting and it will definitely work. I tried this rig I saw on youtube and really liked it:

Aboxy17

I’ve seen guys use a drop shot on deadsticks for walleye before can’t really see the advantages over just an octopus hook and split shot. Think there was maybe a video of tony roach drop-shotting walleye through the ice a couple of years back as well.

Alex Fox

Drop shot definitely works. A friend of mine uses it almost exclusively while ice fishing live bait.

Adam Steffes

Dropshot might pin the minnow in place a little better than swimming below a weight does, even with a short leash. Might work better on extreme lethargic fish?

usmarine0352

I’ve done some dropshotting and it will definitely work. I tried this rig I saw on youtube and really liked it:

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”NEW Ice Fishing Technique for Perch, Walleye, and Crappie CLACKSHOT (Rig set up and UNDERWATER EAT)” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/QruU80Ay3ME?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Thanks.

We’ll see how my homemade one works.

Attachments:
    1. 20220301_104801-1-scaled.jpg

2. 20220301_104801-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What are you drop shooting for ? That’s a big presentation. I use a weight that’s the size of my pinky nail.

usmarine0352

What are you drop shooting for ? That’s a big presentation. I use a weight that’s the size of my pinky nail.

Whatever bites but Walleye and Crappie.

I listened to the video and he said 1/aught hook and that’s what this is.

Would be a lot smaller I guess if I used a plain dropshot hook or circle hook but the guy at the shop recommended this.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The rattle idea is kind of Cool. I may have to try that on the summer Dropshot set up.

usmarine0352

This is a bottom presentation, the large rattles use their sound to bring the fish in and then it hopefully sees the helpless little minnow that has nowhere to go and isn’t moving around much.

usmarine0352

The rattle idea is kind of Cool. I may have to try that on the summer Dropshot set up.

This is what I was going to get but out of stock and the Thorne Bros. version is atrually cheaper anyway.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220228-143855_Chrome.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

This is a bottom presentation, the large rattles use their sound to bring the fish in and then it hopefully sees the helpless little minnow that has nowhere to go and isn’t moving around much.

I understand what this is, I been drop shoting for a long time. I just prefer a smaller profile drop shot weight, so I don’t snag every weed on bottom

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I understand what this is, I been drop shoting for a long time. I just prefer a smaller profile drop shot weight, so I don’t snag every weed on bottom

For summer fishing with plastic baits I 100% agree with you. I normally fish with as light of a weight as I can get by with. Normally no more than a 1/8 oz. I can see how in winter using it with a minnow ( Depending on size of minnow ) you may want to go with a heavier weight. You would not want the minnow moving that weight around much.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I agree with Ron, dropshot seems to be a finese technique…maybe it’ll work, post the results

robby
    Quad Cities

Mini Drop Shot works!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.