Hard water fishing without a shelter

• Gilgetter

Just curious more than anything. The last ten years or so my fishing has been primarily a winter venture. I recently purchased a boat and now have the ability to spread my fishing over the whole season. I’ve always tried to stay mobile when ice fishing but lately I’ve pretty much strayed from a shelter all together. I have been fishing pretty much early season and late season. It seems like mid season I constantly fight weather fronts and pressure and the fishing is usually subpar anyways. It seems like the days I’ve gone out when it’s below zero and the wind is 20 mph are not very productive days and since I’m able to hit the water in the spring and fall now I no longer feel the need to ice fish on wicked weather days. I sold my shelter and I am thinking I might not even replace it. Am I the only one with this view point or are there other ice guys who almost never use a shelter when fishing?

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

There’s no wrong answer as long as you’re catching fish. Not having a shelter to tote around increases your ability to stay mobile but on the other hand, if you were to find a school of hungry crappies, the shelter will allow you to stay on that school longer in colder weather. I would say as long as you are getting out, having fun, and catching fish then you are doing the right thing for you.

Coletrain27

I’ve only used mine once so far this year. The weather has been nice when I’ve been out and it’s a lot less weight to pull around

adam borgstahl

I use mine off and on. If its crazy windy, I find myself bringing along the shack. Also if my kids are coming with, they like to have the option. Otherwise I pack up my sled and drag my gear out and just kneel on the ice and fish. I find some of the crazy cold days have made for some good fishing.

Rick Janssen

Well, my shelter is a flip over so it IS my sled that hauls my stuff. I think the key is to stay portable. There have been many days that I just use my shelter as a wind block, but I really like getting inside. I feel like I can see my flasher better that way and I like to make it warm enough that I can take off my gloves. If I can fish outside without my gloves, then no need to flip it up, but it is so easy – why not. Just stay mobile is the key.

TipUpFishOn

I have a pop up and my shelter use is primarily weather based. Sometimes I’ll bring it on nice days if I’m fishing with a group of people. Normally as long as it’s not crazy cold and/or wind isn’t blowing hard I leave the shelter at home. If I was like you and had a boat and could fish all seasons I’d also be less inclined on ice fishing those really bad weather days.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If I was like you and had a boat and could fish all seasons I’d also be less inclined on ice fishing those really bad weather days.

Seems like there is a pretty dedicated group of anglers on here that try to fish open water here almost all year round. Pool 2 is very popular in the winter as long as they can launch their boat.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

My portable shack has more turned into an expensive sled for transporting and storing ice fishing gear. I usually only set it up when I am really on the fish or really cold, or having a really slow day and have drilled tons of holes and am just ready to sit down for a bit and relax. Most of my fishing consists of drilling 10-15 holes, checking them with flasher, fishing each one that shows something with a few different presentations for a minute or two, Nothing there, then moving on to another series of 10-15 holes, repeat until fish are found.

Ryan Wilson

I very rarely use my shelter. I’ve had it for almost 9 years and some seasons I don’t even get it out. Most people hate fishing with me because I can fish without a shelter in -15 temps with 10 mph winds and not even think twice about a shelter. I have a Shappell WideHouse 5500. Great hub in my opinion. I wouldn’t mind a decent 2 man flip over though for me and the boy. I already drag a sled, If it had a flip-shelter attached to it I suppose I’d be forced to use it lol.

Gilgetter

My portable shack has more turned into an expensive sled for transporting and storing ice fishing gear. I usually only set it up when I am really on the fish or really cold, or having a really slow day and have drilled tons of holes and am just ready to sit down for a bit and relax. Most of my fishing consists of drilling 10-15 holes, checking them with flasher, fishing each one that shows something with a few different presentations for a minute or two, Nothing there, then moving on to another series of 10-15 holes, repeat until fish are found.

That sounds exactly how I’ve been fishing. I pretty much go to a fishy looking spot on the lake map. Drill it out and check the holes for fish. If I don’t mark anything I move. If I mark them and they won’t bite I downsize or otherwise adjust if that doesn’t work I move. If I am catching fish but not the size I’m after I move. If nothing else, the activity helps pass the time. I enjoy being outside in the fresh air more than inside also.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I spent my informative years without a house so I spend the majority of my time outside. I do have a flip up and like others mainly use it as a sled. I’ll use the house to warm up or if I’m sitting on fish. Sometimes I just raise the back to serve as a wind break or to watch tip ups. Most of the time I do enough moving so I often don’t bother setting up the house.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have two portables but don’t use them. I have, especially when it’s a planned trip and I’m going even if the weather is bad. For the most part I only go when the weather is decent enough to fish outside. I have noticed lots more people using shelters when gill fishing even in decent weather. I keep moving and find my fish while they enjoy their shelters. They are still there enjoying their shelters when I’m back home cleaning my fish.

BLW500

Some of you are far more dedicated to catching than me. I personally love sitting in my hub, coat off, heater cranked, hoping I setup on a good spot, because once that first beer is opened I’m not moving. With that said, I do know the lakes I fish pretty well and almost always come home with enough to eat.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

My hardwater fishing has completely changed since getting a cabin.
    I used to go on trips only and sat in a house. Now I’m one manning it and mostly fishing out on the ice with no shelter. When it’s below zero, forget it, too cold. I have had to pretty much change everything, the biggest change is no braid and all mono.
    Once again for me it’s just the fact I’m fishing, catching is a bonus.

I’m still trying to figure out the best situation for a shack because I want to bring the FW out.
    Our lake doesn’t have plowed roads so after a couple years hard water fishing I’m figuring it out a bit. I’m thinking I call pull out a small aluminum skiddy or a tiny wheelhouse with the S x S and all is good.
    or
    I might just stick with the Otter Hub when she comes out.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

No fish house here even with owning 2. Pain in the butt to haul around and all the gear piled in it. Ice fishing is a reason to get out of the house in the winter. Makes no sense to sit in another house. Never understood why they called the shelters portables when most people set them in one spot and never move.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

99.5% of the time in a shelter. Either my spear shack or flip over.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Some of you are far more dedicated to catching than me. I personally love sitting in my hub, coat off, heater cranked, hoping I setup on a good spot, because once that first beer is opened I’m not moving. With that said, I do know the lakes I fish pretty well and almost always come home with enough to eat.

I’m certainly more in this camp.

I have 3 portables of various sizes/situations and reality is I rarely use them. Likely because I do most my ice fishing in a sleeper house where I’ll be out for 2 days minimum in my pajamas with the heat cranked and the beer flowing. laugh

Hot cooked breakfast in the morning and chili simmering in the afternoon only elevates the experience all the while fishing, all day and night. Different strokes…for the young and old I suppose? blush

I’ll likely hang on to my portables, they’re paid for and there’ll always be an occasion to break them out. Not as big a deal for a day outing, I most always go out on drivable ice and I can load everything in the truck. Not much PIA hauling it out and setting up with everything right there.

Becoming a somewhat “older gentleman” eek , I don’t have the drive (or energy) anymore to go out and beat myself up drilling 50-100 holes and then running and gunning to catch as many fish as possible. It doesn’t matter anymore, I can be happy if I catch 5 fish instead of 30 fish.

More and more I’m just thankful I can still get out there at all.

catmando
    wis

I have an Ice Castle, 2 flip overs, one hub, and I still find myself hole hoping with just a rod ,kdrill, and a small fanny pack, most of the time when I do this, I don’t even carry flasher around, for me catching a fish the old way is fun.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I don’t even carry flasher around, for me catching a fish the old way is fun.

The old way wink

Bring a bottle of bourbon and a deck of cards and you’ll know how to fish the old way is fun. razz

Attachments:
    1. ice-fishing.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I never fully understood why people don’t move if they aren’t catching any fish. How long would you sit there in a boat, 10 minutes? Just doesn’t make a whole lotta sense to sit over dead water for hours or days at a time.

Gilgetter

I never fully understood why people don’t move if they aren’t catching any fish. How long would you sit there in a boat, 10 minutes? Just doesn’t make a whole lotta sense to sit over dead water for hours or days at a time.

My thoughts exactly. I get setting up on structure and waiting for the fish to cruise by when it’s just too cold to move but since I’ve gotten set up for mobility if it’s nice enough to be moving I don’t have much patience for inactivity. I usually spend no more than 10 min without activity or I’m moving.

BLW500

Ice fishing for me is more about relaxing than catching fish and there’s no chance I’m going to fish on the ice without a shelter.

catmando
    wis

I have always said Ice fishing is a poke and hope deal…. hope a fish swims by you.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

I have always said Ice fishing is a poke and and hope deal…. hope a fish swims by you.

Haha. That might not be far from the truth.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I do have a small clam pop up just for those really cold and windy days, or if i’m sleeping overnight but I would say I prefer fishing without setting up a house just because it’s so nice being mobile. When I do set up my house I usually drill a lot of holes first and fish without a house and find an area where I want to stay.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

I almost always have a shelter, either my Kenai flip or small otter hub. I know the lakes I fish pretty well, pop holes until I find a spot worth setting up on.

Last a buddy and myself did a little NoDakistan style fishing that was fun as heck. Drive around pop a hole next to your car, fish in the drivers seat with door open.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Die hard flip over guy. yes, like others above it is more often a glorified hauler and doesn’t get set up often.

However I would rather have it available and not need it than stay home. Here’s when I use the shelter:

Cold enough so hole freeze up is an issue, set it up. No fish and still motivated, super easy to drill and move.

Switch from active fishing mode to relaxing mode, set it up. Turn on some tunes, crack a beer, cook a brat, etc…

Bringing the fw, she has no interest in being cold what so ever grin

zooks

I grew up fishing out of the truck, outside on a bucket and even though I always bring my flip over with me, I usually prefer being outside.

I have my limits RE: weather but I fished yesterday from 1pm-7pm and the only time I was in the shack was to heat up my chili for 10 minutes at 4pm and for the last hour after dark. Even with the breeze, the sunshine felt pretty nice.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I have two shelters, and haven’t used either in over three years. I just don’t sit still long enough, and I own good cold weather gear. Even when with a buddy who brings his out on cold days, I never seem to manage to sit in it. Of course, I’m also known as the guy who’s left biting fish to go see if I can find BIGGER biting fish, and so on…It could simply be a lack of grey matter.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

You sound exactly how I was a few years ago. Ice fishing was everything to me because I didn’t have to rely on my buddies with boats to take me out (which they rarely could because of young kids).

I have always owned a flip over whether it was a Clam or an Otter. I usually bring it on most trips mostly as a place to warm up or get out of the wind. However with how good all the ice suits are these days I have found myself grabbing my small sled more than my flip over (which is now a Clam Yukon, and heavy). More mobile, can fit plenty in it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.