harbor freight 2000 inverter generator to power onboard minnkota battery charger

• NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

Hello

I have been on a few fishing trips now where we don’t have access to power to charge our boat batteries. I have a minnkota MK440pc onboard charger and it has a power input of 660 watts. I was thinking about getting the harbor freight 2000 invertor generator as it has a 1600 watt running capacity. I believe I am fine on the wattage to run this.

The one question I have is the sine wave the generator puts out. Harbor freights website states, “our inverter Predator generators use an advanced super-quiet inverter technology able to produce a pure sine wave power curve for safe operation with sensitive electronics.” My minnkota manual says the generator must have clean output. I called minnkota and they said the generator needs to put our a “normal” sine wave, not modified. The guy couldn’t speak to the harbor freight line of inverter generators. I called harbor freight and the guy I talked with couldn’t really explain it either. Said it should be fine.

Just wondering if any of you use this generator to plug into an onboard charger to charge boat batteries. I am 99% sure everything should be fine, but would rather ask for advice before I make the investment.

Thank you for your time. Nate.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

pure sine wave is clean power. You should be fine. If your generator was listing as modified sine wave there may be a question.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You’ll be fine with the HF generator and by all I’ve heard from actual owners, they are terrific units. I’ll be buying one for my off the grid cabin when we get far enough to need it.

One thought though.

When charging off a generator, it may make sense to take along a higher amperage charger rather than using the on board. If I’m doing the math correctly, your charger has a max rate of 5.5 amp hours. And that’s if charging only a single battery.

If you have or could beg/borrow/steal a 15 amp hour charger, you’d run the generator less and get faster charges. 5 ahr is a pretty slow charge if you’re discharging the battery quite a bit.

Just a thought if that’s an option.

Grouse

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

Thank you all for the reply’s so far.

My charger has an output of 10 amps per bank so we are just planning on running the generator at the end of the day back at camp. probably let it run overnight till the gas runs out if we don’t get up early enough.

ThunderLund78

Well I know several people that have bought Predators for this very reason and have heard no one speak ill of them. Can’t speak to your particular model, though and I’m not an expert on sine wave effects. Harbor Freight is hit/miss on a lot of their power items but I’ve heard nothing but great things about Predator generators.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

One thought though.

When charging off a generator, it may make sense to take along a higher amperage charger rather than using the on board. If I’m doing the math correctly, your charger has a max rate of 5.5 amp hours. And that’s if charging only a single battery.

Grouse

Grouse, the 660 watt draw is on the 120V AC side, the 12V DC output, like mentioned before, is (4) x 10 amps each.

HRG

tswoboda

Have you looked at a DC alternator charger for the boat?

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

Thank you everyone.

I have thought about the alternator, but I don’t make very long runs with the big motor so I am not sure I would get very much charge. Also I don’t necessarily have the space in my boat for one because it’s a 17 foot.

I am hoping the predator generator is the ticket. Worst case scenario I can use it camping to keep the minifridge cold with beer.

I appreciate all the responses so far. Thanks again.

Kurt Selje

NateR

Just an FYI. Don’t know where you will be using this, but some parks/campgrounds have a generator sound rating not to exceed 60dB.

nu98walleye

I have the HF 2000 watt Predator generator and use it when camping up at voyagers to charge my boat battery’s & have never had any issues. I should add my on board charger is not a minnkota brand.

Coletrain27

have you checked out the powerhorse brand from northern tool? about the same price and is ratted for more watts than the predator. i almost bought one but ended up spending the extra more money and got a honda. i think the powerhorse might have a better warranty also

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.