worthless pasture… or food plots?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Way to kick off the 08 Sturgeon season Jake!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Congrats Jake!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Awesome job!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Way to go! That is great to hear.

On a side note, what’s the boat you’re in (I’m shopping )?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Thats a River Pro you should get one…..

nick
    Lakeville, MN

We tried for a little bit this evening, we didn’t get anything, ended up calling it a night at 10pm or so, my faher was cold and we were both a little wet, not the best fishing weather.

I was using Shad, my father 3-4 fatheads on a hook, could only fish two rods under the top, so we only fish two rods.

I ended up pulling up to the first area and dropping my anchor, completely Seem like the little part of the anchor line I cut off a little while ago, ended up in the same pile as my anchor rope, , needless to say I still got the 6′ chunk, and no anchor, so if anyone finds my black anchor and red and white anchor rope… Needless to say boat control really suffured with only one smaller anchor.

I would’ve like to stay out much later, but I was OK going in.

There’s always a next time.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Good seeing you guys Nick! We ended up with 8, and had one HUGE fish break off 50 pound Stealth! Our first fish bit…came up and laid flat…upside down on the water! We saw it and remarked “Look at that dead fish!” and then it started swimming! Here is was hooked onto my son Aaron’s rod! I will post some pics when I get up…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

and had one HUGE fish break off 50 pound Stealth!

P-O-W-E-R-P-R-O

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Hey Chris what time did you get the fish? I was a bit bummed to leave so early.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Went out with Walleyehunter2 Saturday all day from 7:30 am until 7pm. Had some shad and fat heads. Touhs Mom managed two small sturgeon early. 1-24in and 1-34inch. About 1:30pm in another spot we caught another 34inch and then tried another spot. Three where all we managed. Got a few sheepies. A nice white bass by JOhnny Touh’s little bro. Tough got a 5 lb channel followed up by a 10 lb for me when I switched over before we called it a day at 7 due to rain. Seems like the night bite is the way to go for now.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Thats a River Pro you should get one…..

Doesn’t look like any River Pro I’ve been in That’d be nice, but the wife didn’t approve me for that much. I’m just happy she suggested that I buy a boat

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Well I am picking up some 80 today! Without exception, each fish rolled at hook-up….and all came straight up in a hurry! Many jumped. Two boys with their first ever sturgeons. We fished from Hudson to Stillwater. Got a fish or two in each spot. Even got a bonus channel. I went on a sheepshead tear about 2 AM…we decided then it was time to leave…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Two boys with their first ever sturgeons.

I’m thinking they will remember that trip for a long time!

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Quote:

and all came straight up in a hurry!

I know exactly what you mean. You don’t even no how big they really are til you here the splash… then hold on!
    Nice fish

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

The Owner of Ram outfitters. recently contacted me about doing a project on one of his many farms in southern MN.
    The project was to convert 6 areas that were very overgrown with everything from small trees to tangles of buck brush into food plots. Some pics below show that it can be done and will be worth while 4 of these were planted in corn and soybeans. 2 will be planted in brassicas and winter wheat in late july.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Looking Good! A Little Rain is needed.

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Bob – Looks like the 3pt disc tore that up pretty well. What do you suppose should be the minimum HP required to run that disc? Is that an 84″ or 72?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great job Bob! I can’t wait to see how those plots produce this season.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Bob – Looks like the 3pt disc tore that up pretty well. What do you suppose should be the minimum HP required to run that disc? Is that an 84″ or 72?

It’s a 96″ with 22″ notched blades front and rear. I would say that a 50HP tractor would work fine. I had it on my 100HP and played with it. It will chop standing corn into black dirt in one pass it does take a few passes to turn old pasture into a seedbed Now I just have to go and pay for it tomorrow

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Great before and after pics Bob! It’s great to see what a little bit of imagination and a lot of hard work can turn into!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Nice work, looks like you have some decent soil to work with. Did you spray before you worked it up or just mow it?

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

The soil is pretty good in that area I mowed it before it was green so no spray was needed. I will have to hit it with round up when the weeds are all germinated and growing. welcome to IDO

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.