H.S trap league.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The kid starts high school trap league this evening and wants to shoot my duck gun over his mossberg sa 20. That being said I have 3 different Carlson cremator choke tubes. Long range, mod, and mid range. What chokes going to serve better for trap ? I can go out and buy another if needed but won’t have time today. It’s new shooter night and I figured it was a meeting more so then a shoot but the coach said bring guns and ear protection. He’s a 8th grader so this is his first year in trap league, he shoots my gun often for clays and now ducks but I only ever shoot the long range clays and he can always hit them. Should I stick with that, or is one of the other better.
    And a side question, he is going to need a new shot gun for duck season if he doesn’t want to shoot his sa20, any recommendations on what to buy ? I rock a rem v3 field sport that’s been flawless for years. But they obviously are not made any more.

Timmy

Full or improved mod for standard trap. My boy shot full.

Good luck Mason!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’d lean towards the modified.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I help coach HS trap. The predominant trapshooting theory now is to teach the kids to use a high hold point and to shoot the bird fast with minimal gun movement. The best shooters are demolishing the clay at about 25 yards, which is pretty interesting considering the clay has a 16 yard head start.

Most beginning shooters end up using a modified or improved cylinder.

We take every new shooter to the patterning board and test them at 35 yards, which is approximately where most new shooters will be shooting. This is a must. There is tremendous inconsistency in choke tubes AND the COP (center of pattern). I’ve seen modified chokes that shoot like super full and I’ve seen kids that have their COP 2 feet from the aim point.

New shooters miss by feet, not inches. Excessively tight chokes will just frustrate a new shooter.

Most beginners are fine shooting field shotguns as they start out. As they progress there is a tremendous advantage in a dedicated trap gun because it shoots high and has the proper swing weight and barrel length.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I used to run full for high school trap. I would say the majority of people did at that time for varsity. Good luck! Wont be long and you will be shelling out for a bt-99 toast

Jimmy Jones

I think Joe and the Grouse are on the right track for a new shooter. The trap range is way different than a hand or home thrower and he’ll want pellets in the air, not a tight mass.

Go get’m Mason! If you can hit ducks, the clay will be a breeze.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

The predominant trapshooting theory now is to teach the kids to use a high hold point and to shoot the bird fast with minimal gun movement. The best shooters are demolishing the clay at about 25 yards, which is pretty interesting considering the clay has a 16 yard head start.

This^ I was taught to hold just over the house though, and shoot quick.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated. I’ll have to swing through scheels or fleet farm and grab another choke tube. Any favorite chokes guys are running ? I been shooting the carlson cremators and have been fond of them in the woods and the slew

CaptainMusky

Modified is what my sons have used. I set my oldest up to fail his first practice and put improved cyl in and he didnt do well. Put modified in and then he got 23 out of 25.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated. I’ll have to swing through scheels or fleet farm and grab another choke tube. Any favorite chokes guys are running ? I been shooting the carlson cremators and have been fond of them in the woods and the slew

Trapshooters just aren’t the choke addicts that waterfowl and sc guys are. There’s no magic to choke tubes. I would say 95% of high school shooters are running stock choke tubes.

Personally I’d say before you buy anything get to the patterning board and figure out what you’ve already got.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>
    The predominant trapshooting theory now is to teach the kids to use a high hold point and to shoot the bird fast with minimal gun movement. The best shooters are demolishing the clay at about 25 yards, which is pretty interesting considering the clay has a 16 yard head start.

This^ I was taught to hold just over the house though, and shoot quick.

Some still teach this but this is changed in the last 5 years or so. The idea now is to hold four to five feet above the house. The theory is a smaller movement to the kill point is more precise and produces a faster reaction because you’re not chasing the bird as far to catch up.

A lot is changing in teaching theory now because we’re dealing with kids instead of old guys. As it turns out many of the shooting techniques of yesteryear were mainly in place to accommodate slow reflexes and poor eyesight. If you think your reflexes are still sharp at 30-49 something just compare yourself on the Doppler unit to the reaction time of your average 16 or 17 year old.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

That makes sense Grouse. All this trap talk makes me want to shoot again. It’s been too long!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

That makes sense Grouse. All this trap talk makes me want to shoot again. It’s been too long!

It’s been absolutely terrific watching my two sons progress in the sport. I never had the chance we never lived anywhere that had a gun club. My grandfather was a huge trapshooter and I always wanted to but just never had the opportunity so I’m trying to make up for a lot of lost time.

It is my great privilege to shoot in the summer leagues with my two sons on my team. Our team is called Those Meddling Kids.

CaptainMusky

Aside from holding over the house if you pay attention to where the birds go before you you can pretty much predict where it will go when it’s your turn.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I let him shoot the mid range and he hit 17 of 25 this evening. Good start on practice night

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Aside from holding over the house if you pay attention to where the birds go before you you can pretty much predict where it will go when it’s your turn.

ATA and USA Clay Target League require a randomized oscillation, so no you can’t predict the angle of the next target based on the last throw during sanctioned trap events. \

I let him shoot the mid range and he hit 17 of 25 this evening. Good start on practice night

Nice start.

What was your score? C’mon you can tell us.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wish I could have shot. Looked like fun. Really happy he gets to do that through school. And his coach is his favorite teacher, so that’s cool and we shoot archery leagues with the guy. So Mason went in a little more confident knowing the guy and being comfortable around him. I’m going to stop this weekend and get him a different choke and maybe brose guns. Otherwise I’m pretty sure he just took over my 12 gauge.

CaptainMusky

Grouse I’ve watched it and I can guarantee you it’s predictable. I’ve sar and watched for a ton of rounds and yes you can predict it. Just like predicting a winner on a pulltabs machine. Pretty dang good at it.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

You can’t predict where the clay will come from if the machines are set correctly.

Don’t overthink choke. Trap is a game to be on the tight side of constriction. Improved cylinder is the wrong choice for sure. Somewhere from mod to full is the sweet spot.

I also try and avoid any ported chokes or barrels, no difference in performance, but much louder on the trap line.

Stanley

2 of my boys shot trap last year and the youngest will shoot this year as well. They used modified chokes and my oldest did pretty well but unfortunately I have not patterned them yet but need to do so like grouse said.

As far as guns go they used 12g mossberg 500’s last season but 2 of them will be using their new franchi affinity 3’s in 12g this season.

Brittman

My son shot HS trap and lettered. He averaged about 21 in his Junior year. Senior year canceled with COVID.

My observations:

If you are shooting for highest score … 12 gauge. 1 1/8 ounce shot. Highest dram equivalent you can shoulder and afford … usually 3 is the max. Faster lead … fewer pellets to break the clay. Again you can do fine with lower cost 1145 fps shells, but maybe you lose a break or two if shooting is not dead on.

Modified or improved modified for most. If you are a bit slow to get on a clay then maybe full.

I am convinced that IC is too broad for most shooters on the trap range.

Brittman

Beretta Outlander A300 automatic. My son has killed a lot of birds and shot 1000s of clays … Great entry auto, reliable, and simple to take apart to clean.

Pump would be Rem 870 or Browning BPS.

Brittman

I would think “worrying” about predicting where the clay is going to go would be distracting if not detrimental in the long run. Solid technique, practice, and some inherent talent should remove the need for that.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The next gun will definitely be a autoloader and it’ll be one he uses for ducks and trap. Not sure if I go beneli or Beretta but it’ll be a nice gun either way. It’s not in my budget or want for him to have a trap only gun just because we hunt the hell out of everything so every gun will have multiple uses.

Brittman

I watched a young man win the WI sporting clays state tournament and he is on TEAM USA. Surrounded by expensive doubles and adults with decades of experience … he shot the Beretta A400 auto.

Lots of camo autoloaders on the HS Trap range …

27eyeguy

I also help with with HS Trap, agree with Joe n Grouse – modified probably best starting out. Pattern what you have and try to stay with same ammo as that can change dynamics also. I personally use a modified, even at yardage, but it’s a tighter choke. Mainly focus on safety, technique, and most important-have fun. I love helping and watching these kids grow into awesome shooters. BC, you might want another side gig, I’m guessing a dedicated trap gun is on the horizon. Best of luck to Mason, dust em buddy.

Stanley

The next gun will definitely be a autoloader and it’ll be one he uses for ducks and trap. Not sure if I go beneli or Beretta but it’ll be a nice gun either way. It’s not in my budget or want for him to have a trap only gun just because we hunt the hell out of everything so every gun will have multiple uses.

That’s why 2 of my kids got the franchi’s. They wanted an auto that they could use for everything instead of having a dedicated trap gun. My oldest likes his mossberg and is too cheap to buy something different. We bought their first shotguns when they started hunting and told them they were responsible for buying the next ones.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I also help with with HS Trap, agree with Joe n Grouse – modified probably best starting out. Pattern what you have and try to stay with same ammo as that can change dynamics also. I personally use a modified, even at yardage, but it’s a tighter choke. Mainly focus on safety, technique, and most important-have fun. I love helping and watching these kids grow into awesome shooters. BC, you might want another side gig, I’m guessing a dedicated trap gun is on the horizon. Best of luck to Mason, dust em buddy.

The boy worked for my buddy all summer long 3 days a week and made some solid cash money. He also mowed 5 lawns a week so just that was 250 bucks in income alone a week plus the gig with my buddy, So I told him I would go half on a new shotgun of his choice. And if it were me it would be a all around 12 gauge but we will see what he picks. I’m guessing it’ll be something nice either way. This should be a fun 6 or 8 weeks for trap, and see what comes after that

Denny O
    Central IOWA

How about a Winchester SX4 (or other in that line)?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How about a Winchester SX4 (or other in that line)?

Never shot a sx4, nor owned a winchester. They definitely look nice and is a more friendly budget.
    If it were my call, I’d have him look at a a400 extreme, but that’s double what I was hoping to spend. We will see what’s on his mind when we go browsing. I told him I’m willing to match what he wants to spend. So if he wants to spend 500 I’ll match that 5, or if he wants to step up to the a400 I’ll flip him a grand. The kid works harder then any 13 year old I’ve met, and helps on every side job I’ve done, so when it comes time for bigger purchases I don’t mind helping. It’s just important to me he will get a gun that fits him and is comfortable. And maybe that I can loan from time to time lol.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

This thread is making me want to get back into trap. Have always drooled over one of the browning citori 725 trap max over unders.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.