Gutter leaking from bottom

• John Batdorf

Hi All,

I got a gutter that is leaking from bottom. I am unable to find the root cause of the leak. Hired a contractor and he used some commercial grade material and patched inside the gutter. Fast forward 3 weeks later when it rained heavily saw the same issue happening again. Called the contractor he sent another guy and this guy added some silicone as he said he saw some gaps. I told him it’s not something inside the gutter that is causing it but he said the fix he did should be good. Few days later the same issue started again and its all patch work these contractors performed.

I have attached a video and a picture of the leak, if you all could provide thoughts on how to fix it I will go ahead and do it myself if it’s easy enough to do.

Thanks in advance

Attachments:
    1. 20240514_184341-scaled.jpg

1. 20240514_184304.mp4
    Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Video isn’t much help.
    Aluminum, galvanized, was gutter apron installed?

jwellsy

Do you have much of a drip edge under the shingles to keep it from running between the gutter and fascia?

Could run off from a different section of roof be running down around that gutter?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Most likely a drip edge that’s leaking. Who ever caulked that underneath deserves to give you a refund.

Go up on a ladder and pour water down the rood in that area and see if you can find the spot that leaks.

jwellsy

Get some cheap Home Depot gutter guards. They’re like $2 for a 3′ section. Do that whole section of gutter. It’ll keep leaves and helicopter seeds out of the gutter and should protect the gap between the gutter and facia.

munchy
    NULL

Looks like you need a gutter kickout.

Attachments:
    1. kickout2.jpg-nggid03964-ngg0dyn-0x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010-3089166675.jpg

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Looks like you need a gutter kickout.

Definetly this could be the solution.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just watched the video. Looks like the end cap wasn’t crimped and sealed correctly. That or it’s getting between the house and end cap and running down the edge. Either way, if that was a contractor who caulked that please call them and tell them it’s not acceptable

John Batdorf

Thanks all, I will review your suggestions and see what best fits the solution. Appreciate it.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Just watched the video. Looks like the end cap wasn’t crimped and sealed correctly. That or it’s getting between the house and end cap and running down the edge. Either way, if that was a contractor who caulked that please call them and tell them it’s not acceptable

Not saying your wrong but there is always a gap between the siding and the gutter and without kickout flashing it will leak between the gutter and the siding.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Not saying your wrong but there is always a gap between the siding and the gutter and without kickout flashing it will leak between the gutter and the siding.

I am well aware how it works, I’ve been installing gutters for over 20 years. If the end cap wasn’t secured crimped or caulked correctly it will allow water to run. Especially when that’s the way the gutter runs and looks to be that way. It could be a handful of different things. But looking at that caulk job, I would highly recommend starting at the cap.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

The caulking job is a total disaster, sloppy as all get out and who uses white all over a brown gutter/Blue house.
    I am really not surprised it is still an issue and would question anything being done by that company.

Either endcap issue or a kickout flashing that was altered by the siding crew, a KO flashing should look like the picture posted by another user. Though they do not look the best it is WAY better that getting the water behind the siding and down the wall, which is why KOs started being used.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The caulking job is a total disaster, sloppy as all get out and who uses white all over a brown gutter/Blue house.
    I am really not surprised it is still an issue and would question anything being done by that company.

Either endcap issue or a kickout flashing that was altered by the siding crew, a KO flashing should look like the picture posted by another user. Though they do not look the best it is WAY better that getting the water behind the siding and down the wall, which is why KOs started being used.

My thought exactly. The special caulk they used was probably a 10 dollar tube of r12

John Batdorf

Hello all, Apologies if I missed replying to anyone.Just wanted to give you all an update on this issue.
    I had a gutter guy come in and he put a new endcap and sealed it. However as it rained last night I see that the leak is not happening anymore from the same area(original video in the 1st post) but I do see the leak at the end of the endcap so I still suspect the end cap is not sealed correctly but need your thoughts. The contractor said its impossible its leaking from endcap but looking closely it definitely is. He did refund me the entire money back which he promised before starting the job.
    I have attached a video after the endcap was replaced and sealed.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.