Gulf Shores/Perdido Key – Anyone been?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Looking at vacation spots to the east of Gulf Shores, so the Orange Beach to Perdido Key area on the Gulf Coast.

Seems like endless resort/condo rental options down there and it looks really nice.

We’re going in mid-April, so questions:

1. Weather and water temp? Can anyone share what the weather is like down there that time of year for high temps? Online info is vague, seems like 74 is the average high, but that can feel either warm or cool depending on wind direction, humidity, etc. What’s it like?

Also is the Gulf or bay side water warm enough to swim in that time of year? Kids and I are semi-serious skin divers so would like it if the water was warm enough. Kids don’t enjoy it when we need wetsuits, so has to be warm enough.

2. Cool stuff to do/family activities and awesome restaurants? I retired from golf, so looking for other stuff to do and fun stuff for the 2 Grouselets ages 10 and 13.

3. Fishing options in mid-April? Would love to bring the fly rods and target reds, but is this the right time/place for that species? Guides?

Thanks for any advice.

stevenoak

I will be there first week in March. Never been there before. Looking forward to Cajun cooking.

Alagnak1

If you’re from here you’ll probably be in the outdoor pool or saltwater and people from the south will be in puffy jackets and hats and think you are crazy- at least that’s the way it is with my kids and I. I’ve been down 4 times the last few years over christmas week and one week mid march. Even if it’s ‘cool’ down there it’s nicer than here and I usually only bring one pair of pants, a sweatshirt, and light rain gear with normal summer clothing and if usually wear flip flops and shorts the whole time. I can’t help you with fly fishing reds I haven’t brought the long rods with yet. I usually bring the kids out with Gulf Rebel charters for bottom fish action and bring some nice fish to the condo to eat and bring plenty home as well. They do a great overnight tuna trip if the seas work out and you have the time. I get dry ice the morning I plan to leave and hit up Joe Patti’s seafood market in Pensecola for a cooler of shrimp to bring back to get me through the year to go along with my fish. Cobalt’s, Cosmos, and Tacky Jacks are our favorite places to sit outside for happy hour and good food and very close by. There are fancier places but these have been my most consistent and reasonable for us. Everything is pretty fair priced down there and nice people. Unfortunately, just like a good little honey hole ice bite nothing lasts long without the word getting out and it’s crazy how much growth there has been in the area in the years I have been going. There still isn’t crazy annoying ‘spring break’ action/crowds because they don’t market for that down there, no beach bars, no bs allowed on beach areas so it’s still very calm and family friendly even when I was there in March.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Mid April should be warmer. I know in March the panhandle can still be quite cool at times with occasional warmer days.

Krh129

Stay in Orange Beach, the buildings are newer and have more amenities. I would definitely stay on the ocean, we prefer the 3-6 floor when we rent. Lately we have been staying just west of the Florabama (iconic bar)and east of the Perdido Pass and have liked it as it is quieter but you are still close to groceries etc.

I can email you a sheet I put together for some friends for the trip down if you are driving and of a few restaurants, things to do etc. It is not tropical but plenty of people are using the water I actually will buy a cheap bodyboard and do that. The beaches are beautiful and very walkable.

If you fly Pensacola is 45 minutes away, Mobile is 75 minutes Gulfport is about 2 hours New Orleans 3 and some change.

I usually just fish from a pier or at the Perdido Pass. I will treat myself to a guide on occasion and use Capt Dave Brown In Shore Guide Service. If you are going to use a guide or private charter I would book early.

Shoot me a Message if you want that info.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Appreciate the replies so far.

KRH, sent you a private message. Appreciate the offer.

Probably going to book everything today, flying into Pensacola seems to be the most logical. Getting a rental car at a reasonable price is challenging.

Thanks again.

amlavold
    Wisconsin

I have a fairly lengthy write up that I’m trying to paste in but I’m not able to submit. I hope it doesn’t finally post many times.

amlavold
    Wisconsin

We’ve been going there for years but has generally been in March for spring break. Weather in March can be hit or miss, but overall I’d say it’s been good. I think March is the turning point and April should be pretty nice. The gulf will still be chilly, but we always swim, the locals not so much. If you have a warm week, the water feels that much better. It is generally breezy in the spring.

Cool activities: The National Naval Aviation Museum is awesome (www.navalaviationmuseum.org/) located between Perdido Key and Pensacola. The base where the museum is located is also home to the Blue Angels and you can get out onto the airfield and watch them practice which is really cool. Their schedule isn’t released yet, but I think they generally return to FL from CA in April, will have to check back (www.navalaviationmuseum.org/blueangels/). Although I see both those are restricted to individuals with valid DoD ID cards. Maybe that will change by April. Alligator Alley is always a hit with the kids (gatoralleyfarm.com/). As mentioned, Joe Patti’s seafood market in Pensacola is cool, load up and take back to the condo. Or Billy’s Seafood in Bon Secour (www.billys-seafood.com/). Nice trips to burn a couple hours if the weather isn’t great. Have to hit up the Flora-Bama (www.florabama.com/). The Pensacola Blue Wahoo baseball games are a good time if you enjoy baseball. I guess we did a dolphin cruise once as well, I think the kids enjoyed more than I did but wasn’t bad. I don’t remember who that was with other then we boarded near Cobalt’s restaurant.

Alagnake1 provided some good restaurant recommendations to check out. I would add Sea N Suds, The Gulf (right at the pass) and LuLu’s as other good options with kids. Also, Lillian’s Pizza and Fisherman’s Corner in Perdido Key.

We have only done offshore fishing while down there. Once we went on a big party boat out of SanRoc Cay Marina, I think it was Reel Surprise Charters; it was cheap but on a boat with 50+ people and a lot of tangled lines. The second time we went on a private charter with Fairwater II Charters (https://www.orangebeachfish.com/) out of Zeke’s landing which was a much better experience since it was just our family of 4 (2 young boys). Our boat was the Water Dog for a 6-hour trip. I know both SanRoc Cay and Zeke’s have multiple charters running out of them including inshore options.

I would also agree with staying in Orange Beach or even Perdido Key over Gulf Shores, they seem less busy or more spread out. Also, the sun reflection off the beautiful white sand creates pretty bad sun burns without you feeling it happen due to the breezes. Coming from experience, don’t forget the sunscreen or be afraid to lather it on good.

rwestb

Appreciate the replies so far.

KRH, sent you a private message. Appreciate the offer.

Probably going to book everything today, flying into Pensacola seems to be the most logical. Getting a rental car at a reasonable price is challenging.

Thanks again.

My wife and I booked everything last night and are flying from Msp to Mobile with a layover in Charlotte. Car from Dollar Rental at the Mobile airport is less than $300 for a week for a full-sized car.

stevenoak

We booked Gulf Shores. Later heard from a few people Orange beach in a little more affordable and less crowded. But we have a house rented, a little away from things. Good call flying. We drive to Florida every year. All except the last 6 or 8 hours. Looks like Iowa.

David Bollig

This will be our 4th year renting a condo on the beach on Perdido Key. I like it because I can surf fish whenever I want. I bring two travel rods. See Bama Beach Bum on youtube if you want an idea of what you can catch, how to bait etc. I have caught lots of whiting (sauger size fish very similar to walleye eating quality), Pompano, Redfish, Black Drum, and of course the occasional catfish. Went to Joe Pattis in Pensacola until I found Perdido Seafood which actually sources Joe Patti’s shrimp. Fishermans Corner is a true cajun restaurant, not inexpensive but excellent, the first time I pulled up I thought this is a dump as it looks rundown shack, it is, however, a first-class restaurant as far as the food is concerned. I know it is warmer south and I go to Sanibel Island for a week in Jan for more warmth but what is nice in Perdido are the beaches, surf fishing, and lack of crowds. Come to think it sucks there I would recommend Orange Beach.

stevenoak

I’ll be there the first week in March. I’ll have my kayak. But never tried surf fishing. What setup do you use for it. I have a couple 3000 reels along, but 7’6 inshore rods are the longest rods I have with me. Fair amount of saltwater stuff. $500 to $700 is a little stiff for half a day guide trip, and no one to split with. May look for a kayak guide they are often $250 to $350. any suggestions?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Appreciate all the replies. Booking everything today. Looks like we’re flying to Pensacola as Mrs Grouse only flys on 2 airlines and the schedules look better go via Atlanta to Pensacola.

We’re going to do a condo at Orange Beach as the complex looks like it has everything the kids could ever want which is basically down to nice pools. Location looks good, close to restaurants, etc.

Rental car, I’m going to finally make good on my threat and try car off of Turo. I may regret this, but this rental car situation is such a bleep show with the old school players and what they want to charge these days. Also, we’re going back to the UK this summer and rentals at LHR are just terrible and always have been, so I want to try another direction and see how it works out.

David Bollig

I have a 9.5 MH surf rod and a 7 med heavy. I use a 3000 reel on on 9.5 and a 2500 on 7. I started going with a 6500, never use it. Went out on one charter he had 3000 reels on med rods we caught big reds, snapper, a blast. Anything caught on surf can be handled with 3000 reel and 20 lb braid managing your drag and walking the beach.

stevenoak

Thanks. I have a couple 7’6 inshore rods with me and some 3000 reels. Only one with 20#, 10# on all the rest. We will be stopping on our way home from Florida. Wish I had brought my 2- 8’6 steelhead rods. May pick up a surf rod.

buschman
    Pool 2

We stayed in Gulf Shores for 5 days last August. Surf fishing was a blast!!! I brought two surf rods (9 ft) with okuma 4500 reels. I do agree that 3500s on MH weight rods would be just fine. I ran 20-30 lb test and just set out Pompano rigs most the time till I seen fish breaking in the surf. I caught mostly Lady fish and Blues casting spoons or spooks in the surf. We had a house on the beach with a big group of our family (21 of us). Fishing was great!! I dont know what it is like in April but I do know that West Gulf Shores in August is a blast from shore. I would say 200 fish over the 5 days and 8-9 species. Every kid was able to reel in their share. I spent 2-3 hours per day fishing. Sun up and sun down were best. I would use shrimp and fishbites for bait and then upgrade to cutbait when we wanted. You will catch Ladyfish or others that work well for cutbait when surf fishing. The blues were all over that cutbait.

stevenoak

We just got back about a week ago. Spent a week on Ft. Morgan peninsula. It was nice the week we were there. But cold prior to that. The fishing was just starting to pick up. But by the time you get there it should be good. Talked to a guy surf fishing that lives not far from me at home. Next year I will take a 8’6” steelhead rod I have w/3000. Buy a 10 or 11’surf rod, then a Penn or Diawa combo with a 4500 or 5000. Surf rod for long cast, switch to 8′ combo rod for shark fishing. Along with one of my 7’6” inshore rods w/3000 for casting lures. 20# power pro slick 20# on all. 20 to 50# floro leaders. Pier fishing doesn’t appeal to me. Kinda like bumper boats on the river. If your willing to walk. You should get a spot to yourself surf fishing. Defiantly spend some time on UTube watching Bamma beach bum. If you look. Gulf Shores tourism uses his video’s on their website.
    Water should be warm enough by then. Were a few up north kids in the water 2 weeks ago. We stayed on the bay. The water is seemed warmer. But the gulf clearer. Docs seafood shack in Orange Beach claims “the best fried shrimp in the universe”. First time I’ve see it actually be true. Don’t look at the menu, order the shrimp. O.B. is the original. There’s a new one in G.S.,but I always pick the good old spot. Brick and Spoon has a great breakfast, just a little pricy. But you get what you pay for. I found Tacky Jacks more of a novelty, or college kids spot food was very so-so. I would eat at Cosmos again. We went to Ft. Morgan. Would have been neat to see, had they not scrapped all the armament for WW2.

stevenoak

Not sure if by skin diving you mean scuba. There are several near shore dive sites/wrecks and scuba shops in town with trips daily. I found most fishing charters $600+ But the guy I talked to had found some guys that would take a couple guys out to the rigs for a hundred or so a piece. Also saw a shrimp boat. You pay to go with a group of people. Get to watch them net the shrimp. Then you get a share of the fresh shrimp. Saw that the last day. May look into that next time. Side note on fishing pier. It was wiped out in the last hurricane. Only rebuilt halfway back out.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Hi, I’d like to tailgate on this thread. Anyone tow their rig down and bass fish? Could anyone name some condos or rental opportunities that they liked?

stevenoak

I catch bass and crappies all year at home. When I drive 1200 miles to the gulf it’s all about the saltwater for me. I’ve bought fresh water license the last 3 years and never used it. That said Mississippi and Alabama have famous bass lakes. Not sure how good the rivers are running into the gulf. They do catch bass but not sure how good it is. Sure like anyplace, there are small sleeper lakes. There are a army of property managers in that area. Usually cheaper than VRBO etc. One less mouth to feed. But a middleman if things go sideways.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.