Group 27 vs 31 batteries for 24V trolling motor

• rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I’m installing a new 24V trolling motor. I have room to put in either group 27 or 31 batteries (it’s an older boat so yes, this was a concern).

Anyone have an opinion on weather the added expense of group 31 batteries is worth the upgrade over 27s?

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Bigger is always better if you can afford it and have the space.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I will just say this I have never heard someone say I wish I would of put in smaller batteries.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I will just say this I have never heard someone say I wish I would of put in smaller batteries.

100% agree

robby
    Quad Cities

Bigger is always better if you can afford it and have the space.

Righto!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Golly gee will-a-kers, I wish I would of put in smaller batteries. jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have been running 27s in my boat for many years. Never have had a issue. But if I found the right priced 31s when mine die I will buy them. If not I wouldn’t stress about it. And my motor guide xi5 take a beating

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just picked up a pair of intersate 27efb today. Suposed to be a little better quality than the 27dc you find at fleetfarm, costco, ect. Thought for about $150 each I would give yhem a try.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I run 27s and have no regrets. Sure, 31s would offer more run time…but for my style of fishing it hasn’t been an issue. If I replace mine soon I’d save the $ and weight and go with 27s again, but everyone’s situation is different.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ve got Interstate 31AGM
    But only 4 of them. shock I don’t run out of bunny drum beating power. rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve got Interstate 31AGM
    But only 4 of them. shock I don’t run out of bunny drum beating power. rotflol

I will happily keep running my 27s before ever paying that much for batteries

Smellson

I’m installing a new 24V trolling motor. I have room to put in either group 27 or 31 batteries (it’s an older boat so yes, this was a concern).

Anyone have an opinion on weather the added expense of group 31 batteries is worth the upgrade over 27s?

Depends on many factors. Do you find yourself running out of juice with your current setup? Do you always have access to electricicy on multiple day trips? Do you have battery trays that will secure a bigger battery? I run size 29 batteries and never run out of juice on a 36v trolling motor (pushing a 19′ glass boat) I wouldn’t hesitate to drop down to 27’s if they were significantly cheaper or if my battery trays didn’t fit a bigger battery. Think I paid roughly $100/ battery and didn’t see much savings going with a smaller size 27. Everyone always shouts to get the biggest trolling motor and the biggest batteries you can…there is a limit lol…I find my 36v ulterra to be overkill 99% of the time.

ted-merdan

[/quote]

Depends on many factors. Do you find yourself running out of juice with your current setup? Do you always have access to electricicy on multiple day trips? Do you have battery trays that will secure a bigger battery? I run size 29 batteries and never run out of juice on a 36v trolling motor (pushing a 19′ glass boat) I wouldn’t hesitate to drop down to 27’s if they were significantly cheaper or if my battery trays didn’t fit a bigger battery. Think I paid roughly $100/ battery and didn’t see much savings going with a smaller size 27. Everyone always shouts to get the biggest trolling motor and the biggest batteries you can…there is a limit lol…I find my 36v ulterra to be overkill 99% of the time.
    [/quote]

Completely agree, I have always used group 29’s with trolling motor setups. Consider if you use your trolling motor for the majority of the positioning portion of your fishing, then having the most power and reserve in your batteries is key to your success each outing.

Good luck with your investment!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.