Great year for blueberries

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thicker than I have ever seen them. Northwest Wisconsin. I just picked more than I’ve ever picked because I just don’t have the patience for it. Looks like they will be around at least a couple more weeks. I’ll probably get out a couple more times this week since I am on vacation. I have half a Cool Whip container but my dad would pick enough for a pie and a couple of bowls with milk and sugar.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

When I was young, Blueberry picking was a big thing in the area I grew up in. I always hated doing it. Wild Blueberries are rather small and its takes a ton to fill a ice cream bucket. The mosquito’s and deer fly’s use to eat you up rather bad as well. I asked a buddy who still lives in that area if anyone still picks blueberries. He said none he knew of.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Same here. I would always get in trouble for stripping plants and having more leaves and green berries than ripe ones. The deer flies are still there and ticks. I sure could go for my mom’s blueberry pie. It was literally the best.

B-man

“My” blueberry patch got mowed down this summer by the power company roll

This year there’s hardly any, but next year should be great!

The mowing is a good thing though and keeps the cycle going. Without it, they would be outcompeted by faster/taller growing vegetation.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Drove past a family out picking near the ATV trail north of McGregor this weekend. I’ve never done it but it got me thinking. Huge fan of wild blueberry pie and in buttermilk pancakes!

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I was up in the Cook area this last weekend and it seemed the blueberries had a long ways to go. Anyone else can confirm that from up there.

The forager in me would love to go check it out sometime.

picklerick
    Central WI

Good to know. I’ll be at our RV site in NW WI for a long weekend. We’ve had so much going on that this is our first trip there this year. I’m hoping to get into some thimbleberries to be honest. I’ll have to battle the ticks and skeeters, but at least they don’t have thorns like blackberry and raspberry.

walleyesforme

I can’t speak for the cook area but up at Rainy Lake the other day when we were at an island it was covered with small unripe berries. That was last week so they must be getting close by now I’d think.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Raspberries had a good year too… all the rain helps the berries

B-man

Good to know. I’ll be at our RV site in NW WI for a long weekend. We’ve had so much going on that this is our first trip there this year. I’m hoping to get into some thimbleberries to be honest. I’ll have to battle the ticks and skeeters, but at least they don’t have thorns like blackberry and raspberry.

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen thimble berries in NW Wisconsin before??

Not saying they aren’t there, but I’m guessing the only place they might be would be along the shore of Lake Superior.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I’ll have to go check this weekend around the farm. Last year was terrible.

shefland
    Walker

My mom was a world class berry picker, me a blueberry eater. This photo was taken in the 50’s, our blueberry patch was just south of highway 2 near Bemidji, un fortunately it was leveled by the big Potlatch plant. Pies, muffins, pancakes, wow great it was

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6163-scaled.jpeg

picklerick
    Central WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>picklerick wrote:</div>

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen thimble berries in NW Wisconsin before??

Not saying they aren’t there, but I’m guessing the only place they might be would be along the shore of Lake Superior.

We find them at the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, so not too far south from the big lake.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

We found a ton of them last week too! Right along our road by the cabin. I picked enough to fill 2 Chinese carryout containers. They are small and it takes forever to pick that much, but man you just can’t beat the flavor.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.