Gotta be a dandy….

• Jimmy Jones

Moose are not uncommon at the cabin, but however made this track is certainly not of the caliber we’re accustomed seeing there.

Well, the picture may or may not show up yet tonight…. or never. Hard telling with this site. But its a dandy paw print.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1793-scaled.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

The nephew has a trail cam right near where we found the tracks and here’s the bad boy that made them. A little short on the head.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1794.jpeg

Dan
    Southeast MN

That’s cool as hell JJ.

CaptainMusky

Saweet! Did you follow “Rutt” at all in his journeys last Fall? That was pretty fun. Then a lot of people were posting other moose they were seeing which was really cool. There was another Moose down in Iowa that was heading NOrth, but that one fell through the ice and drowned.

dirtywater

The nephew has a trail cam right near where we found the tracks and here’s the bad boy that made them. A little short on the head.

Looks more like a bad girl toast

Sharon
    SE Metro

Holy buckets that is a huge hoof print!!

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Talk about a moose knuckle

Jimmy Jones

Looks more like a bad girl

Nada…. bull. Look closely and the antler and base can be seen ahead of the ear.

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirtywater wrote:</div>
    Looks more like a bad girl

Nada…. bull. Look closely and the antler and base can be seen ahead of the ear.

I am no expert but what I see looks like an ear and an eye. The rack should be between them? I’d expect the bull that made those prints to have a large rack and just don’t see that here. Think it’s possible the print and the trail cam shot are 2 different animals but that’s just me. Either way, cool animals for sure.

CaptainMusky

I think moose antlers come out behind the ear dont they? No they dont I looked up a pic and they come out in front but are not between the ears.

Jimmy Jones

If you look straight up from the eye, the first thing you’ll see is the antler’s base and the beam laying flat out from the head. The ear is behind it pointing up. You can see the very back edge of the ear and the very front edge of the ear with the beam covering the center of the ear.

dirtywater

If you look straight up from the eye, the first thing you’ll see is the antler’s base and the beam laying flat out from the head. The ear is behind it pointing up. You can see the very back edge of the ear and the very front edge of the ear with the beam covering the center of the ear.

You have probably studied these animals a lot more than me so I’ll take your word for it! Honestly I just see an ear.

Jimmy Jones

Every antlered animal in N America has antlers that grow UP and between the ears, except the moose. Moos antlers grow to the side, think of it as growing more out of the temples that the top of the skull plate.

Do a picture search for moose and you’ll see what I am talking about. In the picture above the antler splits the ear that’s well being the horn.

CaptainMusky

Jimmy that is exactly what I saw too. Very cool hopefully you get to see him in person.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.