Gopher Traps

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Random bump from the archives…

Who here is still trapping gophers? I set 4 traps last night and nabbed 3 after work today. I’m always at a loss whether I should cover the trap, or leave them exposed to the bright light.

Are there still bounties for these suckers some places? I’d love to get my oldest nephew out at the house site and in our fields trapping.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We dabbled with that as kids. Linwood township would pay a buck or 2, the good old days. Been many years.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If anybody wants to practice first they can come and use my yard. Heck I’ll even give you five bucks a gopher. Oh wait! That would probably cost me 50,000 bucks

Deuces

Anyone wants one of those fancy traps aforementioned I have one, pay for shipping it’s yours. Never used.

catmando
    wis

The trap is called Gopher Hawk, watch a video, set it on a mainline. between mounds, NO digging is needed. The best trap I have ever used.

stout93
    Becker MN

My catch rate is probably about 40%. I don’t cover the hole after setting the trap so maybe that is my problem. When I’m unsuccessful I’ll pull the trap and it has been triggered but no gopher. Not sure what my problem is.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The dirt they are pushing to fill the opening trips the trap, need to push it in the hole abut 12-18″

My catch rate is probably about 40%. I don’t cover the hole after setting the trap so maybe that is my problem. When I’m unsuccessful I’ll pull the trap and it has been triggered but no gopher. Not sure what my problem is.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d say my success rate is probably about 75%.

I have been covering the trap with loose long grass or a piece of plywood. My biggest issue is that once I dig to the tunnel, it is often at some type of intersection with multiple paths. When I dig into the middle of a tunnel, I just set a trap facing each direction. When it’s a true intersection, it’s almost always buried by the gopher.

I’m up to 7 caught in the last week.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.