Good line counter reel for trolling?

• Kyle Wills

Hey guys,

Need suggestion for a couple of line counter reels for trolling walleyes.

Thanks!
    Kyle

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Diawa Sealine 27 or 47 depending on what line you are using. Mono or hybrid size 27, size 47 for leadcore. There are cheaper options but the drag system on those reels are not good.

sktrwx2200

Shimano Tekota 300 or 500 lead. Had the old ones and didnt think it could get any bette…then I tried out the new model—mind was blown with the performance. and switched over everything to the new model right away. Wife didnt understand why I needed 12 new Tekotas to replace the old Tekotas..haha

Angler II

Shimano Tekota 300 or 500 lead. Had the old ones and didnt think it could get any bette…then I tried out the new model—mind was blown with the performance. and switched over everything to the new model right away. Wife didnt understand why I needed 12 new Tekotas to replace the old Tekotas..haha

Still have the old ones?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I will also agree shimano tekota’s very good reels but a little more up the price range.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have the okuma cold water low profile and regular, I don’t use them a lot, but they work pretty well.

critter 1

I just bought two Scheels outfitter coldwater line counters. They are Okuma just $20 cheaper per reel, Box is Okuma, Okums on reel Scheels even spooled on 12 pound Berkley XL free. Saved at least $55

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m with the wife on this one……….still married? I guess I have never seen a rod or reel that blew my mind. shock

sktrwx2200

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sktrwx2200 wrote:</div>

Still have the old ones?

Sorry.. dumped them to buddies pretty quickly. 12 line counter reels is not out of the ordinary for South Dakota and Erie.. 6-8 lines out at once is not uncommon out here.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I know the Shimano Tekota cost more but they are the best I have used.

mojogunter

I have used several. My favorite are the tekota’s. New models and old are really good. I have had issues with two different Sealine’s that are the rust color on the edges. Sticky releasing line. I returned the first, and the replacement does the same thing. A friend has the same reel but blue edges and says his is fine. The accudepth have been better for me than the sealine for less money, but the drag system isn’t as good as the sealine. I also picked up a Okuma last year and that has been good. If you don’t mind spending more on a LC reel I would go Tekota, if you would rather spend a little less the okuma for me would be the way to go.

OG Net_Man

The Tekotas are nice but they are a bit costly. When fishing for some thing like Salmon that can make long runs while you are fighting them might warrant a better reel like the Tekota. I have a lot of older Daiwa Sealine reels that have been good to me. I like my Okuma Convectors as well. The Okuma were my last purchase and if I needed more line counters I would purchase these again.

A Daiwa 47 would be too large for mono or braid for walleye fishing. I would suggest the size 17 for mono and braid unless you are trolling maybe 3 – 5 boards each side then the size 27 would be better. If you are planning on using lead core in the mix the size 17 would not be the right size choice.

But if you have the cash then buy the Tekota and you won’t have any regrets.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.