Good Family / Walleye Lakes / Resorts

• matthewkolden

Since we own a nicer boat now, the family and I want to start making some summertime trips to resorts and lakes. What are some resorts and lakes within a couple hours of the north metro that offer decent walleye fishing (since we are quickly becoming a walleye family it seems) but also kid friendly resorts? We will do a lot of fishing, but plan on tubing and swimming during the heat of the day. Thanks in advance. Just trying to get a list of a few places together, and I always appreciate the opinions of you seasoned vets out there.

Tony Nigon

Apparently we can’t swear on here, and it auto corrects to a nicer version that takes away the point.

Vermilion is awesome for what you described.

matthewkolden

Apparently we can’t swear on here, and it auto corrects to a nicer version that takes away the point.

LOL, I think I liked it even more as “is the poop.” I knew what you meant, but that was great for a chuckle.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

We have a lot of great lakes and resorts in the Alexandria area, but for a “walleye family” I’d recommend Lake Miltona. Great Resorts, beaches and loads of walleye. Only a couple hours from the cities ta boot waytogo

http://www.visitlakemiltona.com

If you like more recreation and restaurants on the water I’d recommend the Le Homme Dieu chain of lakes. Lots of action and good fishing.

Attachments:
    1. Fun-4.jpg

2. Fun-3.jpg

3. Fun-2.jpg

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

Bowstring Shores on Bowstring Lake near Grand Rapids.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Vermilion can be good but you’d really have to step on the gas, like go 100 mph to get there from the north Metro within a couple hours.
    Many ideal choices though around Brainerd lakes area with most catering to all kinds of options and opportunities.
    I’ll suggest this one, since I’ve been there and would be a good option, although I think it’s be about 2 1/2 hours drive.

http://littleboyresort.com/

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

All the really nice family resorts typically have waiting lists about 10 other families deep.

Once you penetrate the resort most people go year after year same time. Makes for an Awesome time meeting other families you got to know years past.

Put my name on a few resorts last year after staying for some fall fishing. Hoping for a call next year.

popcorn

Timber bay lodge is a nice place on Big Birch Lake near Babbit. They have cabins and houseboats and are very accommodating. They even have programs for the kids.

Home

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

Hey Popcorn – the link is working. WordPress is being stupid though and trying to embed the linked site.

I’ve hated their “embed everything” approach since they first created it.

matthewkolden

Thank you all for the responses thus far. This gives me an awesome list of places to check out. We’ve only had one real vacation in the last 10 years, but we are done having kids now, so we’re really, really looking forward to enjoying our time vacationing more now!

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Our family has been going to Beckers resort on Winnie for the past 4 summers. Great family place, great setting with boat security and docking. My boys look forward to going back each year (7 and 10 year olds).

Jonesy

How old are the kids? Leech lake has some nice resorts. The Anderson family resorts I have had personal experience with and would recommend but there are many other nice resorts up there.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Stayed many times at Brindley’s Harbor on Leech. It was always fantastic. Good fishing, great family atmosphere. About 6 years ago I bought my own place. The only negative of owning a lake place is that I don’t get to Brindley’s anymore.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The Woman lake / Longville area is highly family friendly. Lots of options there. Google Longville.

Also check out http://www.mcardlesresort.com up on Winni.

-J.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I would recommend Evergreen Lodge on Woman Lake. Very nice beach for kids to play on. Cabins are VERY CLEAN and have just enough in them that you’re not “roughing it” but yet you’re not going to find Wi-Fi or TV around either. Lake is clean and good for both recreational boating and hardcore fishing. Private boat pool to keep your boat off of the main lake.

http://www.evergreenlodgeonwomanlake.com/

Crappy Fisherman

Been staying at Brindleys on leech for 6 years. Great harbor, nice cabins and staff.located on Pine Point so you have access to all parts of leech no matter which way the wind is blowing. They clean and package your fish for free.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.