Going back to gas???

• Anonymous
    Inactive

I never left gas. Bought a 111 (1.5 hp) solo strike master about 10 years ago, put my old laser on it and it is perfect. I did add a dewalt 998 drill for my 6” hand and it’s great too. Once the ice gets about 12-14” I just use the gas. Works for me

castle-rock-clown

I run a 20volt on a 7inch, and think I always will. Can’t pull those strings anymore

Lol, that’s what compelled me to buy my ION. I had carpel tunnel surgery and I couldn’t pull my Strikemasters recoil, so to not risk ruining my surgery, I only had to push the button on a lighter unit. I was able to fish just after getting the stitches out.

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

Ahhhh yeah I don’t think I can go back to gas…I’m running the 24V strikemaster with an 8″ liteflite in my SnoBear and am very impressed with it so far. I even contemplated selling my Tanaka powerhead that I put my 8″ Nils on, but am going to keep it for the spring time when I really want to swiss cheese the ice for crappies. The Tanaka motor runs soooo smooth and just absolutely rips with the Nils on it! This reminds me I should go fire that little guy up and burn some gas through it. MMMMM cold smoke 2 stroke!

X2

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If you have a wheel house there is no way I’m using a gas auger in there, unless there is no other alternative.

castle-rock-clown

If you have a wheel house there is no way I’m using a gas auger in there, unless there is no other alternative.

Well, you could drill the holes first and then position the house over them…

KPE
    River Falls, WI

No way. I keep a 6″ mora hand auger as a backup in case my drill ever takes a dump. But realistically, when it does, I’ll go get a new drill. This one is going on 5 years of abuse now, granted I’m not a contractor but I kick the snot out of it with hobbies and on the ice. I’m happy with the value at this rate.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

Well, you could drill the holes first and then position the house over them…

jester

Have you ever tried that before? It’s a tremendous PITA and is never exactly perfect.

I don’t ever see myself going back to gas, but….

I have a gas auger sitting in the shed. It’s a German made Emak chainsaw motor Eskimo with an 8″ SM Lazer bit on it. It’s a 2.5hp and super light as far as gas powerheads go.

Eskimo themselves told me it was the best motor they ever had, and had to stop selling them because they were so expensive. Hell, 20 years ago it was $500 and the most expensive auger on the market.

All of the motors they put on afterwards were junk in comparison.

I still can’t let go of that thing. Every year I dump a little fresh gas in and let her rip!

Then I go back to 2021 and convenience of electric augers lol

Money making idea for all of us — a oil/gas mixture candle. We could do a pull starter campaign to raise funds to get it off the ground.

The biggest challenges might be figuring out how to have candle induce a headache if burn it too long and how to keep the wax liquid enough to spill in your truck when not burning it – but there are a lot of smart people out there to figure this out.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

James this is a new business venture idea. We can make up a new cologne. The smell of 2 stroke fuel will get the ladies running you down. Now we just need to book Johnny Depp and were golden.

404 ERROR
    MN

Never, ever. Sold the Tanaka about 3 years ago and I don’t miss it in the least bit. 6″ and 8″ Nils or a 6″ k-drill bit works fantastic on a Dewalt drill.

MN Z
    Stark MN

I just bought a 24V and I am now selling my Strikemaster Honda 4 stroke. No more gas for me!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d hate to be selling a gas auger now after reading all this. I bet you can hardly give one away now-a-days.

queenswake
    NULL

I’d hate to be selling a gas auger now after reading all this. I bet you can hardly give one away now-a-days.

Right, I’m curious the lowball offers guys are getting for them. Might as well just keep it as a backup or for the LOTW or Red trips where electric won’t do.

queenswake
    NULL

I’m getting very close to jumping on the Strike Master 24V bandwagon. A few years ago, I was waiting for the electric market to shake out. It felt too new with the IONs and I never wanted to miss around with the drills. But the Strike Master has me sold. Now it’s just trying to justify the expense.

I have a very heavy Eskimo power head with an 8″ bit. Punches through anything but it’s a beast to lug around and drill holes with. Especially for now when I’m walking out, any extra weight just adds to the ordeal.

Are these Strike Masters excluded when Fleet Farm has their 10% or 15% off one-day sales? If not, I might wait for that and hope that they still have some in stock. Just a hard time to be dropping $400 on something right after Christmas and all of those expenses.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’m still using my gas auger. Haven’t pulled the trigger on an electric one yet. At $650 before tax for the 40v Pro, it’s a hell of a price tag. Add another battery and you’re up to $850 before tax.

God forbid they ever go on sale…

Coletrain27

I’m still using my gas auger. Haven’t pulled the trigger on an electric one yet. At $650 before tax for the 40v Pro, it’s a hell of a price tag. Add another battery and you’re up to $850 before tax.

God forbid they ever go on sale…

If you already have a decent drill all you would need is a clam plate and use your current auger if you really wanted electric

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have and use, both a gas auger and cordless drill setup. To each their own.

B-man

I’m getting very close to jumping on the Strike Master 24V bandwagon. A few years ago, I was waiting for the electric market to shake out. It felt too new with the IONs and I never wanted to miss around with the drills. But the Strike Master has me sold. Now it’s just trying to justify the expense.

I have a very heavy Eskimo power head with an 8″ bit. Punches through anything but it’s a beast to lug around and drill holes with. Especially for now when I’m walking out, any extra weight just adds to the ordeal.

Are these Strike Masters excluded when Fleet Farm has their 10% or 15% off one-day sales? If not, I might wait for that and hope that they still have some in stock. Just a hard time to be dropping $400 on something right after Christmas and all of those expenses.

My Dad was auger shopping at Fleet Farm today and they had the 40V listed at $549 BUT with a $40 gift card with purchase…..so kinda $509…

After talking with me he walked out with a 6″ 24V at list price ($379?) He’s in his 60’s and pretty much just panfishes out of a portable behind the wheeler.

He saw the little SM and was worried the 24V wouldn’t do what he needs (drills 6 holes a day) mrgreen

tim hurley

Bought an electric and love it, so light. Hanging on to my Nihls also light, nice to have back up and it works a bit better in thick ice, used gas only once last year.

queenswake
    NULL

My gas auger is leaking gas again after just having it repaired. Enough is enough so I went to Capra’s today and got a SM 24V for 369.99.

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

electric any brand with plastic flights never going with gas

Fowldreams55398

Only use the gas late season on LOTW or when we’ve been to Lake Winnipeg in March. My gas is way faster than the 40V with a lot of ice.

Aboxy17

I got my Dewalt hammer drill last year on sale for 120 and bought a clam drill plate with it. For my bit, I used a clam hand auger that you can buy in a package with the drill plate.

My first time taking this setup out on my third hole my drill chuck came loose and I watched my brand-new $100 clam bit fall down the hole made me want to cry I will admit. This all happened because I had forgotten to put in the C ring that keeps the auger attached to the plate even when your chuck is loose.

This year I bought a 6-inch strike master hand auger bit and got the extension as well for my drill plate. This setup works great. This far into the season after about 3-4 weeks on the ice I have yet to upgrade from my underpowered 4ah battery. I would say early ice I rarely drill fewer than 30 holes and I have drilled up to 70 in a day with this setup and I have seen the battery indicator go below three bars only once. You also have to factor in my 6 inch bit and the fact that most of the ice I have fished so far has been 8 inches but still…

Overall this setup is about $300. About the same price as a new cheaper gas auger. Well worth it short term but we will have to see how much abuse these drills can take.

Adam Rempel

Put a liteFlite on my husqvarna auger and she is sub 20lbs will a tank of gas. My first gen ion is 22lbs. When I ice camp I bring the gas or when I fish late season, when we get 3’ of ice. But sure is nice to press a trigger and all you here is ice shaving.

In Canada we have a time and place for both.

LabDaddy1

Used my new 24v strikemaster yesterday and I’d carry a bucket of batteries before I ever use a gas one again. Only drilled about 10 yesterday but battery still says it’s full.

Yeah that’s really nothing. Have drilled 20+ holes through 15”+ of ice with my SM 40v 8” and still had battery reading full. Pretty impressive stuff

MagicManMn
    SE MN

Still using my propane Jiffy Lite and no regrets. 7 years old and just popped a tank on it last week in the garage and it started and ran perfect on the second pull, as always. Don’t fish as much as I’d like but probably drill 50-60 holes a season and it has never failed. Will probably go electric if I need another but won’t use gas again, not because they are bad but don’t want to mess with gas and oil.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I can’t get an electric or gas to work reliably so I said f it and am now a hand auger guy.

CaptainMusky

I sold my 3 or 4 year old Solo for $75. Probably could have gotten a bit more, but sold it to my son’s friend.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.