Go Pack Go!

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m not one to sweat the uncontrollable.

Certainly selecting a competent backup QB is within the realm of “controllable” though.

I mean even the best QB in the league, Patrick Mahomes, has an experienced super bowl winning backup QB in Carson Wentz. And yet the Packers chose someone like Malik Willis as theirs.

Bold move cotton, we’ll see if it pays off.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    Foles is THE only example I can think of where a backup came in and won multiple games to put his team into championship contention and then continued in that role carrying them to a championship.

How could you forget about Brady?

Not enough coffee today.

Brady too…so that makes 2/58 SB Champions so far. Those are great feats, but I’m not ready to call that the norm or want my favorite team planning for that route.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Bucky that is some selective Cheese memory. Rodgers got hurt in like 3-4 different seasons where he was able to come back and play yet that season, and a backup keeping them in the hunt (or not) was the deciding factor of the season. And the last SB win in GB was as a Wild Card, so you should know better than anyone that all you need to do is make the dance. And a serviceable backup can be the determining factor. It’s ok to criticize Gutey for having NO backup plan.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here’s the list of backup QB’s that WON a SB (quick google didn’t turn up how many made a SB or the playoffs):

Earl Morrall, Baltimore Colts, Super Bowl V, 1971 season
    Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys, Super Bowl VI, 1972 season
    Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl IX, 1974 season
    Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders, Super Bowl XV, 1980 season
    Doug Williams, Washington Redskins, Super Bowl XXII, 1987 season
    Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants, Super Bowl XXV, 1990 season
    Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams, Super Bowl XXXIV, 1999 season
    Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens, Super Bowl XXXV, 2000 season
    Tom Brady, New England Patriots, Super Bowl XXXVI, 2001 season
    Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles, Super Bowl LII, 2017 season

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Until the Pack lose 2 or 3 out of the next 3. I would not push the panic button. I don’t know enough about the Colts and Titans to know if the Pack has much hope in either of those games. It was tough luck for the Pack that the Colts lost yesterday, so they are going to come in hungry. Nobody wants to start 0-2 and there is blood in the water with Love injured.

JEREMY
    BP

I only watched half the game because after halftime my stupid tv woudnt stop buffering but they way people were slipping and sliding on that field im surprised more players didnt get injured.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Here’s the list of backup QB’s that WON a SB (quick google didn’t turn up how many made a SB or the playoffs):

Earl Morrall, Baltimore Colts, Super Bowl V, 1971 season
    Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys, Super Bowl VI, 1972 season
    Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl IX, 1974 season
    Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders, Super Bowl XV, 1980 season
    Doug Williams, Washington Redskins, Super Bowl XXII, 1987 season
    Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants, Super Bowl XXV, 1990 season
    Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams, Super Bowl XXXIV, 1999 season
    Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens, Super Bowl XXXV, 2000 season
    Tom Brady, New England Patriots, Super Bowl XXXVI, 2001 season
    Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles, Super Bowl LII, 2017 season

That’s a great Google search result, with completely unique scenarios in each circumstance…meaning some are definitely apples to oranges comparisons. Dilfer and Warner for sure were completely different (Warner was named the starter before Week 1 of the season due to an injury, while Dilfer took over for a benched starting QB who was bad and a known weakness on the roster). The others I wouldn’t know without looking up.

I still have no issue with how the Packers roster is built. Sure, backup QB may be a vulnerable spot that is now exposed but no roster is going to be perfect in a hard capped league. Maybe if they’d have paid someone $15 million+ to hold a clipboard they’d be in a better position? I still think in today’s league you push your chips in to win now and use the money on starting contributors when you think you have a QB1 that can lead and be at least an above average starter. If that person goes down, $**t is going to hit the fan regardless in most situations.

I don’t think very many teams in today’s NFL are SB contenders if their starting QB goes down for a significant length of time. There’s a reason backups are exactly that – backups. There may also be a veteran on the street that they bring in and slows the bleeding. If that works, that’s great and the front office makes a shrewed season saving move. It’s hard to evaluate the “backup plan” until it’s thrust into action or even made known…hence me easing on the panic button.

On a MN Fan forum it seems it’s just easier/necessary to constantly hit the panic button?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Maybe if they’d have paid someone $15 million to hold a clipboard they’d be in a better position?

That’s not even close to the market, Darnold got $10M to be a temporary starter, and the backup market is significantly less (20%+). And the argument isn’t whether the backup keeps you a SB contender, it’s whether they keep you in the playoff race while the starter recovers.

BTW did you see the Chiefs game last week? In the pregame they had a player rep from all their SB’s, and the 2022/23 SB rep was Chad Henne who led them to a 98 yard go ahead TD in the AFC Championship and closed out a playoff win the year before. You and Gutey are the only 2 people who don’t think backup QB’s are important. rotflol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It’s hard to evaluate the “backup plan” until it’s thrust into action or even made known

Cutting your offseason and preseason backup QB so you can trade a 7th rounder for a draft bust on cutdown day says pretty clearly there was no plan.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Part of the issue as well is that a good NFL QB isn’t all that common. There are 32 starting NFL QB jobs in the world and they aren’t all filled with guys who are even decent at the spot.

As we’ve seen the last few years, there are a handful of teams that start a QB knowing full well they’ll replace next year. There are others with a maybe slightly better QB situation but they’re placeholders whom the team would likely replace as soon as they get the chance.

The point of this is that there’s usually 10 or so teams (or more) without a great option at starting QB, let alone the matter of having a decent backup.

A lot of you are making very valid points, but just in my opinion the backup QB spot just isn’t where to invest much money. If anything, what’s more helpful to a team is a backup QB with a good mind who can help the starter on the sidelines and in practice. The backup QB’s who have had success in the playoffs or even SB runs are more a case of teams and those QB’s getting lucky and catching lightning in a bottle rather than a well-crafted plan B that worked out.

dirtywater

It’s not like Sean Clifford was going to be any better than Malik Willis. They cut him for good reasons and nobody has signed him. Enough said.

Packers have always done it this way. Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien, Matt Flynn, etc. I don’t have a ton of confidence in Willis but if Love’s injury is closer to 3 weeks instead of 6, it might not ruin the season.

Bass Pundit

It’s not like Sean Clifford was going to be any better than Malik Willis. They cut him for good reasons and nobody has signed him. Enough said.

Packers have always done it this way. Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien, Matt Flynn, etc. I don’t have a ton of confidence in Willis but if Love’s injury is closer to 3 weeks instead of 6, it might not ruin the season.

NFL Football is quirky and Green Bay has had a rabbit’s foot and horseshoe as far as luck goes since they acquired Favre. I’m hoping the string of good fortune has come to an end, but I’ll have to see them lose a few times before I believe the tide has turned on their luck for this year. If they go into Week 5 without a victory at 0-4. That will be a tough hole for Love to crawl out of because he is still a youngin’ and will have to shake off the rust against seasoned D’s. I wouldn’t bet that the team will hold the line in the next few games, but I wouldn’t bet against them getting a victory or two either.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

We still have Clifford on the practice squad if we decide to start him, not?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s my point tho, both Clifford and Willis are developmental QB3’s at best. And the GB front office knew that going into the season, with one of the youngest rosters and plenty of cap space they chose to not get a capable veteran backup QB. Dumb move.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Werm love your takes and purple blood. But how is it any different than the Vikings last year. MOST teams are screwed if the starting QB goes down.

CaptainMusky

Well Mullens is a heckuva lot better backup than what GB has. He can actually play.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Werm love your takes and purple blood. But how is it any different than the Vikings last year. MOST teams are screwed if the starting QB goes down.

Well the Vikings last year lost their starter for the season instead of just a few weeks, and eventually got to QB4 on the depth chart. And MOST importantly, the Vikings were still in the “competitive rebuild stage”, this Packers squad won a playoff game and gave San Fran everything they could handle last year, and were one of the youngest teams in the league. They should have been planning on a playoff run this year, and a capable backup is a part of that. For good front offices anyway whistling rotflol

big_g
    Isle, MN

Wasn’t Kurt Warner a Strike playing QB, who was stocking shelves in the super market when he got the call ?? crazy doah toast

JEREMY
    BP

Maybe 36 year old Colin Kaepernick can take a crack at it.

JEREMY
    BP

Heck they could kill two birds with one stone and have him sing the national anthem.

Tlazer

Quote from BigWerm
    The next 3-6 weeks is the easiest part of the schedule, and they will be lucky to win any of them with Willis at the helm. Going to find out quick how well that Josh Jacobs signing pays off.
    [/quote]

You are correct. The next three weeks the Pack plays Indy, Tenn and Minn. Doesn’t get much easier than that unless you would play Carolina instead of Tenn.

Joe

Will it really be that hard to find someone that can match loves 50% completion rate lol?

JEREMY
    BP

His injury must not have been to bad. Was just reading he hasnt been ruled out for Sundays game.

Bass Pundit

1-0 in a game without Love when the opposition ran for 7.8 yards per carry. Football is such a weird game. Looks like the Pack made their young QB comfortable and the Colts young QB make mistakes.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

His injury must not have been to bad. Was just reading he hasnt been ruled out for Sundays game.

he’s a faker just like I said

question now is how long will he milk it?????

CaptainMusky

1-0 in a game without Love when the opposition ran for 7.8 yards per carry. Football is such a weird game. Looks like the Pack made their young QB comfortable and the Colts young QB make mistakes.

That is pretty incredible actually.

Viewing 26 posts - 481 through 506 (of 506 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.