Gloves for dexterity

• Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

you know when you finally find something to solve a problem that has bugged you for a long time and you just think “Man, this is what i have been looking for the entire time”. Well i have NOT found that in the glove department for myself. My needs are fairly simple: i want a THIN pair of water proof gloves that provide a small amount of warmth but a LOT of dexterity that will hold up for at least a couple seasons.

I have purchased all kinds of different gloves over the years and they all have been very very disappointing, not even really very close. I recently purchased the frabil “task” glove per the advice of some users on an older thread and it was far from what i expected, the only task i will be doing with this glove is pulling my shack and running my gas auger, that’s it.

I’m talking about a dedicated fishing glove, if its cold as heck out i’m in my portable with the heat on and gloves off or i’m dragging my shack in which case i can wear boxing gloves (frabil task gloves). Does the glove that fits my needs not exist? Help me out

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

They look alot like the task gloves i got. I was thinking about these next…

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

I requested a pair of Simms Exstream Flex Gloves for my birthday and I’ve been very happy with them so far but I’ve only had them out fishing a couple times. I haven’t iced fished so I don’t know what kind of gear that requires, but I did use them on a recent trip to the river with air temps below freezing. I brought along a pair of carhart insulated mittens to slip over if needed, but I never needed to.

I don’t think they are waterproof though, just water resistant.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

What about the Striker 2nd skin gloves?
    I’ve been thinking about a pair of these but haven’t pulled the trigger yet

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Striker makes a pair of completely immersible gloves called the Second Skin glove. I have a pair and they are decent. They aren’t as warm as the task glove, but they are not nearly as stiff either.

They offer a fair amount of dexterity, the only thing is they are a bit loose. So if you are looking for something that you can tie knots in fishing line with then this isn’t the one.

In my experience, the perfect ice fishing glove does not exist and probably will never exist. You will always have to sacrifice one of the following three things:
    1. dexterity
    2. warmth
    3. waterproofing

You will be making a compromise somewhere in there, it’s up to you where that compromise is. I have a pair of ‘Head’ smartphone gloves from costco that are nice and thin and I can almost tie knots in my 3 lb panfish line with them, but they offer just a tiny bit of relief from the wind and have no waterproof capabilities.

My biggest complaint with the Task gloves from Frabill is that they are too hard to get on and off. The opening for your hand is way too tight.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I have been using the Kast Steelhead gloves for over a year now and am impressed. I wouldn’t say they are extremely warm but I can jig, bait a hook, insert pins and cotter pins on my otter sled etc when wearing them. I’m not sure I would buy them just for ice fishing necessarily. Mine pull double duty as spring/fall open water gloves, which is where they really shine. They are certainly waterproof.

Matt S
    Wisconsin

Yes, the Kast Steelhead gloves are the real deal. I have them, and they are awesome. Absolutely waterproof, and quite warm for how thin they are. They are pricey, but after running the gamut on disappointing gloves, they are well worth it. I ordered them right from the Kast website. I don’t think you would be disappointed.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Striker makes a pair of completely immersible gloves called the Second Skin glove. I have a pair and they are decent. They aren’t as warm as the task glove, but they are not nearly as stiff either.

They offer a fair amount of dexterity, the only thing is they are a bit loose. So if you are looking for something that you can tie knots in fishing line with then this isn’t the one.

In my experience, the perfect ice fishing glove does not exist and probably will never exist. You will always have to sacrifice one of the following three things:
    1. dexterity
    2. warmth
    3. waterproofing

You will be making a compromise somewhere in there, it’s up to you where that compromise is. I have a pair of ‘Head’ smartphone gloves from costco that are nice and thin and I can almost tie knots in my 3 lb panfish line with them, but they offer just a tiny bit of relief from the wind and have no waterproof capabilities.

My biggest complaint with the Task gloves from Frabill is that they are too hard to get on and off. The opening for your hand is way too tight.

I picked up a pair of the second skins and they are pretty good so far, the fit is right for my hand and it is the right mix of warmth and dexterity for me. If they hold up to some usage they will be what i have been looking for.

AndRo

Try these Clam Dry Skinz maybe. I tried to buy a pair when they were on sale at FF a couple weeks ago and they were completely sold out in my size. Buddy that has them seems to like them so far.
    http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/icearmor/dry-skinz-gloves.html

I second these Clam Dry Skinz. They do a very good job at keeping my hands dry, they fit well inside the FXE Gauntlets as well.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I use a pair of thin winter gloves (the kind little kids typically wear) underneath a pair of those rapala gloves that have the rubber palm side to them. it keeps my hands quite warm, is a small amount of fabric and is relatively dexterous. Also, aside from the top part of the glove, its waterproof. Best of all the overall cost is around 6$. I don’t know if that’s what you are looking for, sounds like you have an inkling for the perfect glove, but its a cheap and effective option

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Not exactly what you are looking for, but sometimes you just need to have bare fingers. I like these: http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Guide-Series-Mens-DynaStretch-Fleece-Glomitt&i=794528&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=373934353238424c41434b4d2f4c&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlae1BRCU2qaz2__t9IIBEiQAKRGDVRAVqLxHA0qg5BpPXtNr4R6xH-IVSULu_cYNl-cg1VwaAmiI8P8HAQ

They are one of a few pairs that have a thumb free version. I’ve beaten these things for two seasons now. No visible wear.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

These open finger glacier gloves have been awesome so far. Wind proof layer on top and a neoprene layer on Palm. I hate wearing gloves but when I have to I wear these.

Attachments:
    1. image75.jpeg

2. image74.jpeg

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.