Getting a seasonal spot for camper.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So I picked up a camper a while back and am looking at getting a seasonal spot.
    Questions for the guys who keep there campers at a seasonal spot.
    Obviously it’s going to be place specific, but what are the turn arounds in these places. I’m guessing our first time in we will get the least desirable spot, how often are you offered to move to a better spot. What are some places to look for a seasonal. We are going to talk to the lady while we are on vermillion this week in hopes we can get in there but if not we would like some where with good fishing and great up north scenery and feeling.
    And what are your seasonal lots costing ?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Depends where you are. I had checked on Pike Bay on Vermilion a few years ago and he was $3,500+ which I thought was high. He also wanted to charge extra for a dock.

I pay $2,450 plus electric right now In Brainerd. A covered pontoon lift is an extra $550.

The Ash River Trail is mostly $3500+ also.

The place on Rainy is $3500.

Generally when you park it you stay there although there is no saying you can’t move. In your situation I would consider a barter for a portion. You seem able and willing to do a lot of stuff and the further North you go the harder it is for resort people to get skilled labor.

You have my number, give me a call if you want to know anything else.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There is a guy on here that runs a camp ground toward Ottertail, any one know who I’m talking about and could lead me to him ?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

there can be alot of turnaround at times. the place we had a seasonal had a long list back then but heard thats not the case anymore.

when we left i think it was 2 grand…………but they werent the type that only opened on memorial weekend and closed 2 weeks after labor day. he went by frost out and when water lines would freeze. not sure what they charge now. and you paid the electric bill.

as far as spots…..probably least desirable……depends on how many openings. IF you find a place, make sure you let them know you’d like to move if an opening occurred.

also depends how far you want to travel. we have the cabin, and when we had the seasonal….it definitely took cabin time away…..i mean you spend that kind of money on a seasonal lot……ya kinds want to get your monies worth.

if you can find one that has some space between campers…..some are parked like sardine cans!!!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I forgot to add….the number 1 best thing about a seasonal is it’s set up and waiting for you. No setting up a tent in a rainstorm in the middle of the night.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I forgot to add….the number 1 best thing about a seasonal is it’s set up and waiting for you. No setting up a tent in a rainstorm in the middle of the night.

That’s why we picked it up. I have no desire to move the things as weekend warriors but I want a seasonal. Leave it there and have it ready for us.
    Do you keep it there all winter ? Is that a extra fee ? Do they allow you to access these on the winter as a base camp if I’m ice fishing ?

DFP
    Haverhill Iowa

There is a guy on here that runs a camp ground toward Ottertail, any one know who I’m talking about and could lead me to him ?

Are you talking about Trevor at Vacationland Resort on Ottertail?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Glen, my goal is 3 hours from the driveway. Maybe 3.5. That way a Friday after work to Sunday will be doable every weekend we want to go. Which for the kid and I will be every weekend I imagine.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Are you talking about Trevor at Vacationland Resort on Ottertail?

Yes thank you. I couldn’t remember if his was a resort or a camp ground.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

ours stayed parked 12 months a year. some campgrounds are fully closed during off season……not sure if they would allow that. depends on where your parked……you may not get to it, they typically dont plow the roads to the campers.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glen, my goal is 3 hours from the driveway. Maybe 3.5. That way a Friday after work to Sunday will be doable every weekend we want to go. Which for the kid and I will be every weekend I imagine.

just curious …..would a google search in that perimeter help?? lotz of campgrounds in the willmar/glenwood area…depends on the type of fishing and lake you desire!!!!!!

Nodakk

I know some people that have seasonal spots at Beckers Resort on Winnie. I stay there a few times a year in the cabins. Great place, great owners, great fishing. It’s on the Mississippi with a very short run to the lake so the boat docks don’t see waves hardly ever. They also have a pool for the kids

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Most do not allow winter use. The water gets shut off and they do their vacations in the winter. If you wanted to do Mille Lacs I think Fishers allows winter access but you would need to call them.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

waytogo i agree but dam thats alot of money for a seasonal. doah

between my brother and I we each throw in about $1800.00 a year in the cabin account.

B-man

They’re fun short term, but $800+ a month around the Duluth area (that was the going rate a couple years ago).

If you have an area that you love, I’d look for a small lot out in the rhubarb.

For $5,000-$20,000 you could have an acre or 10 that’s your’s forever. Keep it simple and do an off-the-grid lifestyle for a few years before you completely commit to running power/well/sewer (that’s even if you ever do). Dig an outhouse hole, and load up some gas and water for the weekend. Mow or weed whip an area big enough to park and stretch your legs around a fire and you’re golden.

Virtually zero maintenance needed, just knock the weeds down a few times a summer. For even less maintenance, you could put down class five in a big area and spray for weeds once a summer.

With cash to the right seller you could get a hell of a deal right now, and have unlimited privacy compared to a campground.

Put some wanted ads up in the local bars/restaurants in the area you’re looking at and you could possibly find a place without having to deal with a realtor. But it could be worth your time to ask a local realtor if they know of anything for sale or coming up.

Most of the small vacant parcels listed online are way overpriced compared to what they sell in the real world.

Driving the countryside and looking for signs doesn’t hurt either if you have the time.

In the long run you’ll be a ton of money ahead and have an asset to pass down and/or get your money back (likely more) at almost any time. Taxes are typically dirt cheap on small vacant lots.

Here’s a picture of Ben and Hank around the fire last night on our land. It’s almost like Ben is talking you into it mrgreen

We got lucky and have a quiet public access across the street from our land, and the neighbors let us use a spare dock of theirs if we want to leave a boat/kayaks in for the weekend!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240811-204931.png

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thats because you have the cabin. Lots of people can’t afford a cabin hence the seasonal route. Besides if my country school math is correct you and your brother are paying $3600 a year for taxes and maintenance. Another positive is if the lake you are on changes you can pick up and move a camper. You are a bit more nailed down with a cabin.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

B-Man is on the right track.

It’s amazing how cheap you can get an off the water piece of land (small parcel) in some of the northern wooded areas that have no ag value.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Thats because you have the cabin. Lots of people can’t afford a cabin hence the seasonal route. Besides if my country school math is correct you and your brother are paying $3600 a year for taxes and maintenance. Another positive is if the lake you are on changes you can pick up and move a camper. You are a bit more nailed down with a cabin.

I can’t afford a cabin. I never will be able to either. But I might eventually like to have an RV/camper or park model at a resort on a lake. I have zero interest in maintaining a second property either. I have enough issues with one. I just want to pay a 5 or 6 month seasonal rate, show up, and use it. No work and no property taxes.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The counties are onto the camper thing. I know St. Louis county requires all seasonals to have currant license plates even though some haven’t moved in 20 years.

To get this back on track, BC check with your gal on Vermilion next time up. Let her know you and the kid can do concrete.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

granted the cabin was handed down yo us by our parents. But that 3600 we invest, at the end of the day it’s still all ours.

Gim, I hear what your saying but we take pride in taking care of it .

Deuces

I haven’t checked alot, but over the course of the last couple years staying at quite a few campgrounds, inquiring about those w seasonal lots every one was years on a wait list.

Id start inquiring, nicer resorts have less turnover bc, well they’re nice and people stay put. Grand Marais municipal 2 yrs ago waitlist was pushing 200 doah

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

B-Man is on the right track.

It’s amazing how cheap you can get an off the water piece of land (small parcel) in some of the northern wooded areas that have no ag value.

No interest in a small random parcel to keep a camper on. If I did that it would be hunting land. I want to be on the water and am more then happy to rent the spot.

Ice Cap

Most campgrounds have a much higher percentage of seasonal sites than rentals. This started to happen during Covid when everyone was buying campers. If you are looking for a destination lake like Vermillion you will pay dearly and it won’t be easy to get your foot in the door. Both my boys have their campers on seasonal sites one is in Barnum he gets a discounted rate because he knows the owner and helps him cut trees and clear new sites. The other is in Sturgeon Lake and I think he is paying close to 3 grand and is not on the lake.

We purchased three acres five years ago and while not directly on the lake it is right across the road from us and we can still see it. We have deeded access a half mile down the road where our dock and pontoon are. we put a 40 foot destination camper on it and my daughter and son in law put their camper on it as well. Works out great for us. Low taxes because we have no lake shore but we still get most of the benefits of being on the lake. We are on a reservoir of nearly 5000 acres so lots of water to play on, great scenery and good fishing. We have lots of elbow room with the three acres which was the most important part for me. I can’t stand having people 50 feet outside my door when I go out for my morning coffee. And we are exactly an hour and ten minutes from our front door at home to the front door of the camper.

Unless you are singularly focused on a destination lake like Vermillion I would search out some of these properties they are out there. You could cut your drive time way down. Or if you are not ready to take that leap there are a number of campgrounds on lakes north of Hinckley and south of Duluth. Less driving means more time at your camper.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Less driving means more people and more BS.

If a guy is looking for a certain thing in life he shouldn’t settle for less. For 15 years I made the drive to the Ash River Trail, 4 1/2 hours one way. I don’t regret any of those hours or trips. The drive to Vermilion and North is so easy it’s ridiculous.

Tom schmitt

Find an area in your drive time and start looking for a resort. Get your name on the list of as many as you can. One will have an opening and you can always wait for the resort you really want to open up. Some will want you to remove your camper at season end, some will open the gate at the start of the season and close at the end.
    Some will let you use your lot in the winter. North Star resort Mille Lacs lake.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

And we are exactly an hour and ten minutes from our front door at home to the front door of the camper.

Less driving means more time at your camper.

I’m on board with this one. Driving 3 or 4 hours on a Friday while fighting cabin traffic and then again on Sunday coming home has no appeal to me. I could do 1 hour 10 mins. Heck that’s close enough to visit without even spending the night.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

BC works construction and lives in North Branch. Traffic won’t be a issue.

Ice Cap

Any resort or campground = more people and more bs and usually in close quarters. Vermillion is as busy with people as you could want. Some campgrounds/resorts have some pretty specific and stringent rules that can cramp your style. If you get an a$$ hole neighbor around you your time there can be miserable.

CaptainMusky

I understand you already have the camper, but what about buying a seasonal or park model at a resort that someone is selling? THat is what I plan to do next year. There are TONS of them on Marketplace and some are really cheap at least I think they are.

Stanley

We have been casually looking at seasonal’s or buying a lot as well. There are pros and cons to both just need to find what works for you. My FIL had a place in blackduck and it was a 3 1/2 hour drive for us one way. We would hurry and try to get there on Fri before 10pm then come Sunday everyone wanted to hurry and leave to beat the traffic or wanted to get things done at home or whatever so most trips we only really had Saturday to do things. That gets old quick. Just something to think about when you consider drive time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.