Genz Box best Value Shuttle?

• curleytail

Have a Helix 7 that I’ll probably rig up for ice sometime.

I was looking at the new Bass Khang shuttles and they look nice, have several handy accessories for them and can be color customized. But just the bare shuttle starts at $49. With a cord winder, folding ducer hanger, and rod holder or 2 it’s around $70.

Lots of good ideas in the Helix 7 shuttle thread, but I’m wondering why not just get a Genz Blue Box for $30? Been looking at materials to make a durable shuttle myself and not finding much in materials under $30. Not that I need a bunch of lights or phone charging ports, but the Genz Box has room to add all of those things if wanted.

Is there a reason they aren’t more popular?

Tucker

Mike
    Eyota MN

I bought a flx 20 on a genz box this winter the price was awesome and I wanted to upgrade.. i would have preferred the pro pack but the sale was for the genz only. I have no complaints with mine. Was looking into ordering a ducer arm from basskhang. A couple other places offer them too that are under 20 bucks.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I bought a bare Pro Pack and made my own shuttle with a Dakota Lithium it works out awesome and you can customize any way you want with rod holders,lights,ect. With an Ice Defense on there it weighs 7.3# with and LX9

Gary

The blue box works great with a 7, is extremely lightweight with a lithium battery, and you can customize it a hundred different ways.

All you need are short screws, and a screwdriver and you can mount anything to it.

I mounted the head unit as far forward as I could on the box so I could flip it back against the handle to transport and to take the head off quickly to mount on an atv for maps then back to the box.

Karry Kyllo

I mounted my Helix 7 on a Genz Box and I think it works great too.

AnotherFisherman

If you are in the NW Metro, I have a Genz Box I would sell. I am pretty sure it has a transducer arm on it as well. Haven’t looked at it this year yet, but last checked there was no issues with it.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

The only downfall I have with the genz box is it slips easily on ice/snow. Other than that it’s a great shuttle. I have my garmin livescope setup on it and it fits perfect in a CLAM bag.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

The Norsk Brak Pack is, in my opinion, the best shuttle on the market. If you haven’t seen them look them up. The weight savings is outstanding. Not sure if it would fit a helix 7 though.

I am also selling a Genz Box, with soft pack and some LED lights. It’s on Craigslist, message me for more info

Gary

Canoebasser—If you put some sheet metal screws on the bottom of the box it will stick to the ice better.

Ive seen people mount small camera tripods to the bottom, picatinny rails with crazy mounts and all sorts of crazy homemade garage stuff that’s really one of a kind.

Thats why the blue box is so great. It’s cheap and you can literally customize it anyway you want. If you don’t like what you did silicone the screw holes up and start over.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

For the price I think so. It’s literally a hunk of plastic that you can do anything to. That’s why I like it. Totally customizable.

Attachments:
    1. 48140154-E787-4FBC-A4A6-6B74DF4C8C3A.jpeg

nu98walleye

Regular blue genz box would get my vote also. No need for a soft side bag if you have a screen cover.

curleytail

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I wasn’t too far off track in my thinking. Good call on it sliding around on frozen slush. I bet a rubber foot at every corner would help with that and give a good footing on a wheelhouse floor, snowmobile seat, etc.

Seems like a lower cost option carrying case and flexible with adding accessories if wanted.

Tucker

I’m a huge fan of the Basskhang shuttles. Super light and well designed. My Helix 7 ice setup weights less than 7lbs with the BK and a 19ah lithium. Well worth the money imo!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I used a Genz blue-box for my Helix 7… mounted a ram ball in the bottom of the box and another ball on the bow of my boat… this way, I can easily switch from the bow (connected to the MDI transducer on my terrova) to mobile in the Genz box. It gets a bit top-heavy but it is also much easier to see…

Connor Erhardt

I used a Genz blue-box for my Helix 7… mounted a ram ball in the bottom of the box and another ball on the bow of my boat… this way, I can easily switch from the bow (connected to the MDI transducer on my terrova) to mobile in the Genz box. It gets a bit top-heavy but it is also much easier to see…

How did you put the ram mount on the bottom of the genz box? Im worried the bolts through the bottom will make it rock or wobble.

Red Eye

My opinion. If it doesn’t fit in a 5 gallon bucket, it’s junk. Genz box doesn’t fit in pail=junk.

Now on a totally unrelated topic. I have a genz box for sale. whistling

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

My opinion. If it doesn’t fit in a 5 gallon bucket, it’s junk. Genz box doesn’t fit in pail=junk.

I’ve never understood that mentality. You only bring a bucket to carry your gear in or what? I have never even brought a bucket with me ice fishing. Not trying to rag on you but why does it have to fit in a bucket?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Red Eye wrote:</div>

I’ve never understood that mentality. You only bring a bucket to carry your gear in or what? I have never even brought a bucket with me ice fishing. Not trying to rag on you but why does it have to fit in a bucket?

No bucket? Then how do you transport your catch back home without making a mess. I never go ice fishing without one. I have the pro pack with a FL18. I like that it can travel in the bucket and then when I pack up my vex goes on top of my catch and away you go.

Red Eye

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Red Eye wrote:</div>

More protection in travel. 20 mile sled rides are not easy on anything, especially graphs. Another reason is when I walk out, either early or late season. The bucket holds both fish on the bottom and vex on top of fish. Frees up the other hand.
    Don’t bring a bucket? You might be the only ice fisherman I’ve ever heard say that.

travis mccolley

I have a genz with a FLX_28, I have wired it to run my lights, a USM port to charge the phone and Mounted a holder for my Aquaview.

With the Genz Box you can do quite a bit, totally custamizable.

I have a marcum transducer arm, and I mounted a nylon cleat on the back (like for a boat) to wrap the transducer cable.

I love the set up

Attachments:
    1. vex.jpg

onepine
    Elk River

I have the Basskhang shuttle for the simple reason I can use a 20volt dewalt battery to run my Helix 7, Kdrill, lights in my shelter, my hammer drill, and impact driver. I bring a 3 batteries and they run and gun me all day. I would skip all the accessories.

Newb McGee

I have the Basskhang shuttle for the simple reason I can use a 20volt dewalt battery to run my Helix 7, Kdrill, lights in my shelter, my hammer drill, and impact driver. I bring a 3 batteries and they run and gun me all day. I would skip all the accessories.

which dewalt battery adaptor did you buy? i saw those on amazon but I just wansn’t sure which looks ok to be used.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Don’t bring a bucket? You might be the only ice fisherman I’ve ever heard say that.

He’s definitely not the only one. I don’t bring one out on the ice. None of the guys I fish with bring one either.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

you must be walking deep into the backwaters to only pack a bucket

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.