Generator issues

• KC

I have Powermate Generator that is powered by a Honda GX390 engine and my engine works fine but it is no longer is putting out electrical power by way of the outlets. One of my brushes was worn more then the other, but is not sure why that happened. I also have a AVR chip board and not a normal AVR type switch. It seemed to be a little darker on one section of the AVR board that could be a sign of the board being shorted out, but I do not see anything that was soldered on it, that looks detached. The brushes are $14 but the AVR chip board is $137. Also I noticed that the breaker button does not seat in and out any longer, as it does not seat when pushing it in. Thank you for any comments you may want to share.

With this said, I have 4 questions to ask.

1.) Does anyone know why one brush would be more worn than the other?

2.) Do you think it might just be the brushes that need to be replaced?

3.) Could the AVR board still be good from what I described and it only be the brushes?

4.) Could the breaker be bad too?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Is there a main fuse in the panel?

KC

Is there a main fuse in the panel?

Where would I look to locate the main fuse?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

It could be so many things honestly, gotta bust out your volt meter.
    A simple youtube search for me provided many videos testing this very situation.

Sometimes 1 brush wears more than another because the spring broke, the braid wire hung up or the brush is hanging up in the track, so it could be several reasons.

Pretty good explanations and things to check in this video.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I’m not even sure the Honda engine in cheap generators, pressure washer, etc, is even their overhead valve engine is it? Buyer beware.

KC

I’m not even sure the Honda engine in cheap generators, pressure washer, etc, is even their overhead valve engine is it? Buyer beware.

Almost $1,200 is anything but cheap. I will leave photos later tonight if that might help.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

He said it’s a GX390 which are OHV and always have been. The GX is the gold standard for small engines and they are the engine that all the Chonda clones are copying. For good reason.

Good video posted by MB above, nice troubleshooting step by step. No way to guess and shoot the parts cannon at generators without costing yourself a lot of money and time. Have to figure it out or at least narrow it down.

One of the greatest tools ever invented is the multimeter. Also there are probe kits available online that include little alligator clips to make taking measurements easier without having 5 hands.

KC

First I would like to say thank all of you for all of your comments.

I will be leaving photos below of my Generator and what I have taken apart for you to see. I now will address a few comments.

Glenn- I am not sure what you said is the problem, as when the power output went out is when the Generator was running, and not laid up for a while. I had used it for 5 days before this happened during a week of a power outage we had after Hurricane Ida hit here in Southeast Louisiana. I am however going today to purchase a cheap keyed Electric Drill to try the residual magnetism test if the Brushes coming in on Tuesday and is not my problem.

Bearcat89- Hopefully you or someone else can guide me to where the fuse would be located on my Generator by looking at the photos below.

Everyone take note of my AVR computer chipboard as is not like a typical AVR unit in most Generators. Also take a very close look at it, as it seems to me that the left side of it is darkened as what I might think happens went a short occurs. Maybe it is just me, so look for yourselves and tell me what you think.

All help and comments are appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1543-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_1544-scaled.jpg

3. IMG_1541-scaled.jpg

Glenn
    Eden Prairie, MN

It can still happen when the genset is running. Try the drill trick and you may be surprised.

KC

It can still happen when the genset is running. Try the drill trick and you may be surprised.

Thanks Glenn!

KC

Hi guys,

By looking at the photo below, could anyone direct me on how to remove the Electrical panel that is circled, as I tried to unscrew the screws on it and pulled out the two skinny bars below it, and it does not detach from the generator?

I thought that maybe because the 2 breaker reset buttons on it did nothing when pushing them, maybe a fuse blew out, and the fuse might be located somewhere behind that panel.

Attachments:
    1. Gererator-Elictrical-Pnel.jpg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.