Gen2 of the Ion Auger released

• Walleyeguy34

$780 ?!?! Plus $220 for an extra battery…. Seems very over-priced to me. Never was a fan of the Ion but am excited to see how it will perform against the $550 strikemaster.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The Strikemaster is $569 this year

$780 ?!?! Plus $220 for an extra battery…. Seems very over-priced to me. Never was a fan of the Ion but am excited to see how it will perform against the $550 strikemaster.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

It’s got BIG competition when it comes to the Lithium 40v!!! I beat my auger stupid last year… Emphasis on me being stupid for doing it BUT!!!
    My buddy dropped his Ion 1 time last year and snapped the handle off!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Personally I think that Ion is crazy with this asking price, and this coming from a guy who has an Ion X. While I love my auger, the performance of the Strikemaster as well as the Ion X is so good that I have a VERY hard time believing people will pay that much more for 5 pounds of weight savings. For just $20 more than the Gen 2, a guy could get the 8″ Ion X and a spare battery.

Or, a brushless drill with 3 batteries, a spare backup tool and two different diameter augers. You could throw in a heated jacket maybe, or a radio/charger as well and still have a few bucks left for beer.

Bassn Dan

Electric vs. Gas Augers

An electric motor and a battery vs. a gasoline engine

Which do you think costs more to make?

I think they’re making a LOT of money on the electrics……..

FRS

They are in business to make money!
    I would think about Black Friday they all will have their best products
    and deals front and center.
    I predict ION will have a deal, Buy one and get a second battery free.
    Now they’re in the ball-park

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

It’s got BIG competition when it comes to the Lithium 40v!!! I beat my auger stupid last year… Emphasis on me being stupid for doing it BUT!!!
    My buddy dropped his Ion 1 time last year and snapped the handle off!

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Strikemaster Lithium 40V Ice Auger Review (The Truth)” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Jq7tmt6-nE?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Lol…let’s not start about broken handles. Strikemaster is NOTORIOUS for dropped broken handles. Sometimes they break just looking at them.

That said, I’m not sure any auger is worth $500 or more

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Wow! These electrics sure look nice, but they are spendy. Of course, on the flip-side, it’s great for the more casual, thrifty ice fisherman. I picked up a really nice Strikemaster Lazer last year for $120 from a guy going electric. waytogo

Angler II

Or, a brushless drill with 3 batteries, a spare backup tool and two different diameter augers. You could throw in a heated jacket maybe, or a radio/charger as well and still have a few bucks left for beer.

Exactly. A tool for year round use. You also forgot free blade sharpening for life for a certain brand…

vinella

If anyone has been waiting to pull the trigger on the G2 due to the price, Joe’s Sporting Goods has them for $599 and another $40 off with the code “TAKE40”, so $559. I’m out of state so no tax for me either cool

Lund4Life

Cabelas has the Strikemaster 40v on sale for $412 which is insane. Literally half the price of the ION G2.

twinkies87

If anyone has been waiting to pull the trigger on the G2 due to the price, Joe’s Sporting Goods has them for $599 and another $40 off with the code “TAKE40”, so $559. I’m out of state so no tax for me either cool

That is a great deal! I got a G2 in November for $595 and thought it was a great price but $559 is awesome.

JoeMX1825
    MN

That is a good price, i’m keeping my eye open for a G2 deal I can’t say no too, my original G1 still cuts like butter…

Ryan Overson

Just pulled the trigger on a 10″ Gen2 today, replacing my HC40 10″. Although propane has been great and I’ve never had issues, using it in my IC, especially with a 12″ extension on it is a beast, then add slush to the weight and trying to get out of the hole and house without knocking it off, well, it’s not fun. I like to drill my holes with the house up, so the extension is a must late winter and the reverse will be nice too. $700+, sure it’s spendy, but this is Pandemic relief; a decade ago, $500 was a lot for an auger. Plus, the green matches my house, very important.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m patiently waiting for my Gen1 battery to die so I can get a new 5amp replacement.

MR John

Great auger for inside your shack or nice days, but were were drilling holes with our 30+ year old Eskimo auger for some guys because their G2 battery didn’t survive the trek into no mans land on Leech (snowmobile’s only) last weekend. It was close to -20 with 30 plus MPH winds. The soft side cooler and handwarmers they had the battery in didn’t work. The G2 drilled two holes. They finally got her going after warming it up the portable for 20 minutes. If you venture off to where Ice Castles dream of going, keep your gasser around. That guy was pretty upset after spending over $800. Said he was sorry he sold his for $100, it always worked.

JoeMX1825
    MN

They must have had crappy hand warmers and cooler then or was the cooler exposed during the snowmobile trip? as long as the battery stays relatively warm, it will be fine… I put that failure squarely on the owner vs the battery failing..

3Rivers

The 10″ G2 auger is very impressive.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.