Geezer trivia

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

How about a topic that is non-virus and non-political.

Part of our stay at home routine is a daily walk. My wife asked why I always walk between her and the road.

Any other geezer thoughts?

Opening the door for the lady and elder folks.

Allowing others to pass through an opening then going through after them. (Todays waiters and table service people need a lesson in this because they have seemed to forget who actually funds their paycheck) !

Lynn Seiler

I watched Sputnik in 1957. Used a Cub Scout binocular. Skies are now getting crowded.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Smell of the perculator on the stove.

I fired a blank round out of my .22 in 9th grade sales class.
    Brought dad’s 12 ga to school for a sixth grade play.

Knowing personally each crack in the sidewalk all the way to school.

Putting playing cards on the frame of our bikes with clothes pins to hold the cards in the spokes.

Trapping pocket gophers.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Shooting arrows straight up in the air.

Flushing gophers out of the ground with the water hose and letting the dog finish them off when they come out.

Spearing suckers in the creeks.

Chopping 1 ice fishing hole (only one line back then) through 3 feet of ice by taking turns.

Butchering chickens.

Eating natural corn dogs. (Actually we didn’t but we did have a cattail swamp in the backyard).

Kevin Yopp

I was thinking of this just last night … how almost every day I’d head down the neighborhood street to a spring-fed creek and fish for some unknown little fishes that lived under stumps and in crevices in the creek bank. Had nothing but some old fishing line, a small hook and maybe some bologna or maybe hot dog. Some days I could catch a bucket full and other days nothing. Often would attract big ‘ol crawdads which scared me when I was little. Never worried about rules ‘n regs … licenses, wardens, etc. Just fishing in its purest form. Of course, it was always catch and release. Still don’t know what it was I was catching. This was in Kentucky …

klang

Gas under a buck
    Taking pistol to school in car because you ran your trap line after school
    Had a 69 Camaro when I was 15, drove all around on gravel checking traps. Like a fool got rid of the car.
    Grandpa got a flasher for fishing, thought we really had something.
    Paper Graphs
    Hanging up from talking to girlfriend and hearing the clicks from neighbors listening in. (on a dial phone)
    4 channels to watch on TV and actually having to get up to change channel
    First color TV we got, Wow what a picture!
    Mom taking our Gopher feet to court house for us, getting I think 5 cents a piece, 2 dollars for a pair of Red Fox ears.
    Baling Sq Bales of Hay
    Shelling Ear corn from crib
    Walking beans
    Watching the first moon landing in Grade school class room

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

BB Gun fights.

Remember these?

[/url]

Iowaboy1

walking the soybean fields and pulling weeds by hand,same with corn ground,picked corn by hand two years in a row.
    baling hay all summer long with a allis chalmers rotobaler,loading all of those bales by hand on a skid or hay rack and stacking them in a barn.
    getting up before dawn to shell corn by hand every dang day/do chores for eternity for the hogs/sheep/butcher calf.
    go to school,come home and do it all over again before doing homework,supper and a bath.
    and I wonder why my body is worn out fifteen years before everyone elses my age.
    watching a man walk on the moon on tv in grade school,opening the damn windows in the school building so that pressure could equalize during a tornado before we took shelter,nuke drills,to this day I still automatically want to duck for cover when I hear those sirens.

fun things??
    building dams in the creek that ran through our old farmstead and swimming in the pool it made after taking hours to fill,mushroom hunting in the spring,stacking all of the windfall and having bonfires,FFA hay wagon rides and the supper afterwards,vacation bible school,hunting with gramps or dad and believe it or not,mom was the best shot out of all of us.
    soaking cattails in kerosene.
    ah,the steel soda can cannon !! got bored launching tennis balls and graduated to soaking large clumps of grass in gasoline and launching fireballs.
    after a field was plowed and discked we would pretend to be in WWII and throw dirt clods at each other while ducked behind a furrow,dirt clods made good ‘bombs’ when you were a kid.

longing to be in the hundred acre woods with Christopher robin and the show always ended too soon.
    being scared to death by the tornado in the wizard of Oz,now why in the F did they have to show that when spring just got a good start?

then I learned about black powder,ah,before I get myself into more trouble,lets just say they aint kidding when they said you could move mountains.
    I can still feel that whipping and that was over forty years ago.

if its not raining tomorrow,I may go see if piglet or owl is ready to share some honey.
    hope that dang tigger stays away until we get our fill,lol

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Kinda funny. Was down in the cities working on my dads old house and found this in the attic.

Attachments:
    1. 20200326_164153.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Any St. Paul boys remember “Shooting the Loop” in the early 70’s?

Hot chick in the ‘Cuda with the bumper sticker…”you can beat me you can eat me?” (ya, it was real)

Lynn Seiler

With my little brother.

Me: Don’t put your tongue on the pump handle.
    Brother: Yer not the boss of me
    Me: Don’t do it!
    Brother: ‘m ‘tuck!!

Or

Me: Don’t urine on the electric fence.
    Brother: z%#&$!!!

Somehow he’s still alive today.

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

Our house didn’t have locks on the doors in the 40s 50s or 60s in a small Iowa town. We had one drinking glass at the kitchen sink, we all used that same glass daily. My mom often told me she was going to tell my dad when he got home but she seldom did. I was darned glad.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Hot chick in the ‘Cuda with the bumper sticker…”you can beat me you can eat me?” (ya, it was real)

Absolutely!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Damn BHM i was just going to mention real jarts metal tips and all.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m a MPLS guy, only time we went to St Paul was to get into fights. wave

What was the name of the bar in Highland Park in a bowling alley across from Lunds on the Ford Parkway that had any coin any drink on Wednesday?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

walking the soybean fields and pulling weeds by hand,same with corn ground,picked corn by hand two years in a row.
    baling hay all summer long with a allis chalmers rotobaler,loading all of those bales by hand on a skid or hay rack and stacking them in a barn.
    getting up before dawn to shell corn by hand every dang day/do chores for eternity for the hogs/sheep/butcher calf.
    go to school,come home and do it all over again before doing homework,supper and a bath.
    and I wonder why my body is worn out fifteen years before everyone elses my age.
    watching a man walk on the moon on tv in grade school,opening the damn windows in the school building so that pressure could equalize during a tornado before we took shelter,nuke drills,to this day I still automatically want to duck for cover when I hear those sirens.

fun things??
    building dams in the creek that ran through our old farmstead and swimming in the pool it made after taking hours to fill,mushroom hunting in the spring,stacking all of the windfall and having bonfires,FFA hay wagon rides and the supper afterwards,vacation bible school,hunting with gramps or dad and believe it or not,mom was the best shot out of all of us.
    soaking cattails in kerosene.
    ah,the steel soda can cannon !! got bored launching tennis balls and graduated to soaking large clumps of grass in gasoline and launching fireballs.
    after a field was plowed and discked we would pretend to be in WWII and throw dirt clods at each other while ducked behind a furrow,dirt clods made good ‘bombs’ when you were a kid.

longing to be in the hundred acre woods with Christopher robin and the show always ended too soon.
    being scared to death by the tornado in the wizard of Oz,now why in the F did they have to show that when spring just got a good start?

then I learned about black powder,ah,before I get myself into more trouble,lets just say they aint kidding when they said you could move mountains.
    I can still feel that whipping and that was over forty years ago.

if its not raining tomorrow,I may go see if piglet or owl is ready to share some honey.
    hope that dang tigger stays away until we get our fill,lol

ever blow up any wild hogs?

Iowaboy1

EPG,only the time I didnt wire the water heater correctly,sigh,that cost me five market weight hogs and in those days sixty two cents a pound was huge money.

after getting ran over by momma hog,and no,I am talking about my wife,protecting her pigs,loading them,giving shots,cutting teeth,etc I sure as heck would like to go hog hunting using tannerite.

Smoker
    Blaine, Minnesota

I’m think the name of that bar on ford parkway was called Tiffany’s Lounge.

Smoker
    Blaine, Minnesota

I think the name of that bar on ford parkway was called Tiffany’s Lounge.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Tiffany’s is still there. We actually played softball for that bar. The other place was a few blocks west.
    Man! did we get hammered there!!!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I remember riding across the high bridge from Duluth to Superior to get beer or pints of whatever we needed as Wi was 18 and Minn. was 21. I was 16.

I crashed a college party and remember the hot chick singing If you want it here it is come and get it.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Bottle rocket fights

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

What was the name of the bar in Highland Park in a bowling alley across from Lunds on the Ford Parkway that had any coin any drink on Wednesday?

Sure you aren’t thinking of the joint on West 7th? That became a Chammps years later.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I grew up a short ride from Hanover MN. Just about every day we’d hop on our bikes and ride to town and look for trouble if we didn’t wade down the river and fish for 4 lb smallies.

One distraction was the old bridge down from the Hilltop bar. We’d climb up the I beams and walk across the top of the bridge. Good times.

[/url]

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Sure you aren’t thinking of the joint on West 7th? That became a Chammps years later.

Ha, next to the Libation Station – Nope. I had to text a buddy “Pudges”

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So, would you wonder in there before or after getting your ass kicked by the St. Paul boys? jester rotflol whistling

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

LMAO –
    I would duck out and head to Casey’s tongue

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

LMAO –
    I would duck out and head to Casey’s tongue

About a zillion years ago I ran a gas station down the street from there. I think it was Caseys? Maybe not. A strip club on West 7th anyway.

FryDog62

Belletaine said: “I was in Indian Guides in the 60’s. Kinda like Cub scouts. We wore leather vests and headbands with feathers.”

Funny, I was at my off-site storage unit today. Inside is the actual Indian Guide chest that my dad “Chief White Cloud” made in 1969. Inside was storage for those vests, headbands, tomahawks and assorted camping/cooking gear. Now it’s all memorabilia from when I was a kid. Inherited it when my parents passed away a couple years ago.

Yes, we were the Kickapoo Tribe. No one knows why other than if you give second graders the choice of picking a name, anything with the word “poo” in it at that age is funny.

Obviously we were not PC in that era…

Attachments:
    1. 8C16F669-9F44-406F-A39A-B88C7A1CF46A.jpeg

bigfish2

Stopping at gas station and getting a bucks worth.

Have mom drop me miles from town and walking with shotgun, the ridges back to town.

Trout fishing the many local creeks.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.