Gear ratio

• Ryan

Let’s talk gear ratio. What does everyone prefer? I know it depends on what your fishing so please list the type of fishing and gear ratio you prefer for that specific kind of fishing. I know it also comes down to personal preference but there are some out there that have their preferences.

thanks,
    R

JEREMY
    BP

I prefer whatever can get the big one in the fastest and safest so I can gently take him off the hook before I accidentally slam his head in the livewell door.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

8.1.1 or 7.3.1 for flipping or pitching to shallow cover, docks, or frog fishing. You want that fast reel to be able to pick up line fast to get the fish out of the cover fast. Also nice to have when you’re casting to targets and reeling up and casting again and again.

Cranking I like a slower gear ratio like a 6.3.1 or 5.5.1. I have ADD so I find that sometimes I reel too fast when I’m throwing a crankbait. However if it’s a deep crankbait I’ll use a faster reel.

Here’s a chart from the Daiwa Fuego baitcaster but the gear ratios and line per turn are pretty similar to most reels so it should give everyone a feel for what they do.

Attachments:
    1. 59B0BBCB-1F8C-41CA-A13B-DC24F1CF12B1.png

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

1:1, as I feel any other gear ratio is cheating. That’s like using man-made materials for your rod or line, I don’t know how you people call yourself sportsmen/sportswomen while you deploy those contraptions!

Ryan

1:1, as I feel any other gear ratio is cheating. That’s like using man-made materials for your rod or line, I don’t know how you people call yourself sportsmen/sportswomen while you deploy those contraptions!

what??????

patk
    Nisswa, MN

We really need sarcasm font. My hunch is that was Phil’s response.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>philtickelson wrote:</div>

what??????

My fly rod/reel is 1:1 Seems to work just fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.