Garmin Vs Humminbird Side imaging

• isu22andy

Looking for a new 10 inch unit. Garmin 10 or Helix 10 . Garmin looks like its close to the helix with the GT 56 transducer. Have a helix 7 currently but not a SI unit. Itll be primarily used for SI . Leaning helix as im familiar with them but is there something Im missing that should sway me the other way.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Do you have any plans to add Live Imaging in the future? If Yes, then the Garmin is a no brainer…

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Garmin is getting better with SI, but your Helix 7 will never compare to say a Helix 10 or above for picture quality. With all the brands, bigger screens with better quality is a must for great pics- that with clean power. Save your cash and go big as you can.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Just helped a buddy put a garmin on his boat. Went out with him to verify we had the transducer set correctly and I was surprised at how grainy the Garmin side imaging was. You could still see structure and cribs and shadows but it did not come close to what my past humminbird 1198 produced or what my current Lowrance HDS Live 12 produces. If you plan to add livescope Garmin it is. If not I’d look at humminbird or lowrance for just side imaging.

badgerbacker

Just helped a buddy put a garmin on his boat. Went out with him to verify we had the transducer set correctly and I was surprised at how grainy the Garmin side imaging was. You could still see structure and cribs and shadows but it did not come close to what my past humminbird 1198 produced or what my current Lowrance HDS Live 12 produces. If you plan to add livescope Garmin it is. If not I’d look at humminbird or lowrance for just side imaging.

I added a Garmin UHD73sv last year and feel let down by the SI images. Very grainy and difficult to see subtle bottom contours or fish. My Humminbird 999 has much better SI images, even when viewed only on a portion of the 9″ screen.

basseyes

Go with the Helix 10 if you’re looking for si. Garmin is darn near a one trick pony.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.