Garmin Panoptix Echomap Plus 73cv Ice Fishing Bundle

• vinella

Is there a difference between these 2 units? If so, what are they? I see one is Echomap UHD and the other is Echomap Plus but I am not finding much info regarding any differences. Also hoping for feedback on the unit Cabela’s has on sale. I have a Ice Helix 7 G2 but thinking about pulling the trigger on the Garmin. These are used for ice fishing only. Thanks.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/735507/pn/010-02334-20

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/garmin-panoptix-echomap-plus-73cv-ice-fishing-bundle

Cameron white

The 73 plus has been discontinued by Garmin. I have it, works great with livescope.

vinella

The 73 plus has been discontinued by Garmin. I have it, works great with livescope.

That would explain the sale price. Any idea why they discontinued it and what’s new/better about the Echomap UHD 73cv?

B-man

The UDH has improved side/down imaging for open water and the newest maps.

For ice fishing I don’t believe it has any advantages when it comes to panoptix and/or 2D.

The UDH can run the LVS12 Livescope transducer WITHOUT the need for a black box, but I see the unit you’re looking at comes with the PS22 for standard panoptix.

With any version, you get one free map update within a year of purchase (you can update the 73 plus unit with the latest maps for free!)

vinella

Thanks for the info, B-man. Do you have this unit? I believe I’ve seen a post or 2 from you stating you prefer it (if memory serves and it’s this unit) over the Helix?

B-man

Thanks for the info, B-man. Do you have this unit? I believe I’ve seen a post or 2 from you stating you prefer it (if memory serves and it’s this unit) over the Helix?

Yes, I run a 73 plus for ice fishing with a gt-10 transducer (2D).

Absolutely love it over anything I’ve ever tried (Helix included)

I’ve contemplated getting panoptix/livescope, but I don’t chase suspended schools of panfish enough to justify it (where it really shines).

For a guy chasing bottom hugging walleyes or sitting somewhat stationary fishing for anything, panoptix or livescope doesn’t offer a big enough advantage to justify the cost/bulk/weight. If it was a $100 upgrade I’d have it just to have it, but it’s not worth 10X-15X that for my style of fishing.

vinella

My apologies as I know very little about the Garmin units. I just really hadn’t considered them before today. What’s the story with the black box you mentioned? Is this unit not really worth the price if you don’t intend to add the Livescope? And what’s the difference between the PS22 transducer for standard panoptix that this has, the Livescope, and the transducer you have (gt-10)? Again, my Garmin knowledge is next to none – sorry for the redundant questions. I do know that you can rotate with the Livescope to find roaming fish. Is that only possible with Livescope?

Edit – the one I’m looking at on the Cabela’s website has the GT10HN-IF ducer

B-man

I recommend you check out some videos before choosing for yourself, but here is the quick version.

GT-10 is a chirp capable ice transducer for 2D imaging (kind of like your Helix)

Panoptix adds another dimension to stationary fishing (you can see what direction a fish is approaching) and let’s you scan for suspended fish.

Livescope is similar to panoptix, but with much more detail. It’s like comparing 2D images to down imaging (more like a picture instead of a painting) and normally requires a “black box” (additional computer).

The new UHD units can run the new Livescope transducer (LVS12) without a black box (saves a ton of weight, wiring, and power), but from what I’ve read isn’t has good as the normal setup with the box.

I’ve never seen the LVS12 transducer in action, so I can’t make a judgement myself on it.

vinella

Awesome thanks again for the info! I’m about to do some YouTubing. I’m sure when one has spent some time researching the Garmin units the differences between them aren’t as confusing, but to a Garmin novice they are. I’m trying to learn what I can quickly – Cabela’s is offering an additional 10% off to club members until midnight.

B-man

Personally I’d skip Livescope for the time being (not worth the added weight)

I’d also skip Panoptix unless you’re using it to it’s fullest potential (run and gun for suspended fish). It’s just not worth the extra hassle of drilling an extra hole and carrying around a dedicated aluminum pole for the transducer for most other fishing.

vinella

Personally I’d skip Livescope for the time being (not worth the added weight)

I’d also skip Panoptix unless you’re using it to it’s fullest potential (run and gun for suspended fish). It’s just not worth the extra hassle of drilling an extra hole and carrying around a dedicated aluminum pole for the transducer for most other fishing.

Thanks for the sage advice. After your feedback in addition to doing some reading/watching I tend to agree. Not worth the extra $ for the panoptix (for me anyhow).

JoeMX1825
    MN

I made the jump to Panoptix (73CV+) for this ice season for the ability to drill 1 hole and scan 100’ in all directions to quickly find the fish sounds great. I couldnt justify the extra $$ for Livescope though, yes it looks better but it doesnt matter to me if its a fuzzy blob or a more defined blob, either way I know its a fish.

Henpecked

Comparing the two units In my opinion the Garmin one would be the way to go. Even though I do not see much advantage to having UHD in a CV/Downview ice unit. The UHD would be more useful with the open water transducer.
    The UHD model is not compatible with Livescope LVS 12. You would need an Ultra unit or GPSMap 8XXX model to use the Livescope LVS 12.
    Both units appear, from the pictures, to come with PS 22 Panoptix transducers, but I cannot find where it says included with the Cabelas unit. Have to make sure it’s included. I also don’t see the pole mount included in the Cabelas unit.
    The Panoptix works pretty well, but not as clear as Livescope as previously stated. I used mine mostly in Downview until I upgraded to Livescope. Both units would be compatible with Livescope LVS 32 if you would think about future upgrading.
    Again my opinion, but the Garmin package seems a better option.
    Also add the battery that comes with the unit is pretty worthless. Better plan to upgrade to Lithium.

BackwaterICE

I made the jump to Panoptix (73CV+) for this ice season for the ability to drill 1 hole and scan 100’ in all directions to quickly find the fish sounds great. I couldnt justify the extra $$ for Livescope though, yes it looks better but it doesnt matter to me if its a fuzzy blob or a more defined blob, either way I know its a fish.

what is the depth limitation to the 100′ of scan? Don’t you need to be sitting over 20 foot of water or similar to be able to angle view 100′ out? Just curious

Ripjiggen

What is the difference in the 73SV and the 73CV

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What is the difference in the 73SV and the 73CV

Sv is side view, cv is clear view ( down image

Ripjiggen

Thanks BC so if I want something for summer use in my smaller boat and use on ice what 7 inch unit gives side and down imaging/view.

B-man

Comparing the two units In my opinion the Garmin one would be the way to go. Even though I do not see much advantage to having UHD in a CV/Downview ice unit. The UHD would be more useful with the open water transducer.
    The UHD model is not compatible with Livescope LVS 12. You would need an Ultra unit or GPSMap 8XXX model to use the Livescope LVS 12.
    Both units appear, from the pictures, to come with PS 22 Panoptix transducers, but I cannot find where it says included with the Cabelas unit. Have to make sure it’s included. I also don’t see the pole mount included in the Cabelas unit.
    The Panoptix works pretty well, but not as clear as Livescope as previously stated. I used mine mostly in Downview until I upgraded to Livescope. Both units would be compatible with Livescope LVS 32 if you would think about future upgrading.
    Again my opinion, but the Garmin package seems a better option.
    Also add the battery that comes with the unit is pretty worthless. Better plan to upgrade to Lithium.

I stand corrected with the LVS ducer. You need a 10″ Echomap Ultra or higher to run it. For some reason I was thinking the UHD units could run it (wrong)

That would be a lot of graph to be carrying around, but without the need for the black box maybe it wouldn’t be too bad??

The graph is about $2,000, and the LVS12 is only $500. So about $2,500 for a 10″ livescope screen with no need for a black box.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20201013-121613.png

hnd

in shallower water its limited to like 50′ but even still. this thing basically changes the game for even the run and gun angler. we chased basin crappies in MN over the stretch of 2 side by side football fields. we drilled about 4 or 5 panoptix holes and run and gunned crappies all day long.

there are probably ice fishing scenarios where dragging aroudn the panoptix isn’t conducive to conveniences vs the cost, but most of our fishing it definitely is.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.