Game Camera Security Boxes?

• Jason

I currently have 2 Tactacams out but these guys have me worried. Im thinking about getting some metal boxes before the cameras get ruined but I’m open for suggestions??

Let me know your thoughts or what has worked for you in the past.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20211025-192402_Gallery.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I never ran any boxes. I should’ve. I used $100 cameras and lost 1-2 every year to bears. They’re always curious, and can’t seem to leave them alone. If I ever start buying spendy cams, I will be putting them in a box of some kind. Sorry, I don’t have any suggestions.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Bears were getting hard on cams on my farm, I had 3 cams torn down in a single year. You can see, whatever it is about the sound cams make, bears hear it better than other animals and they a curious.

Going to lockboxes was impractical with the number of cams I have, so I just started mounting the cams up out of easy bear reach. I can access most of my cams with the 4 wheeler, so I stand on the back rack and put the cam about 9-10 feet off the ground.

Haven’t had a single issue since I started doing this. Not sure if the bears don’t see the camera that high up, or if they just won’t climb to get at them, but even on bear baits, the cams have been fine.

I don’t find the higher angle makes any difference to the quality of the trail cam pics of other animals. Just a slightly different view.

Tim Conroy Jr.

I have not lost a camera to a bear yet, although that might be partly because they are preoccupied by the bait. I like to put them up as high as I can, and angle them down. A bear could easily climb up, but I haven’t had one do it yet. Just don’t get good smelling food on the camera, keep it out of their normal standing height, and they don’t seem to bother them.

I don’t get a lot of bears on camera when not over a bait, so I like to run my cameras lower for deer. You could run them high all the time, but it seems like it does cut down on the range they will take a picture slightly, but it isn’t a huge difference.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.