Scheduling your fishing trip around Hot Bites!!

• arklite881south

I’ve been receiving a lot of inquiries from Anglers looking to coordinate there fishing trip with a HOT BITE for a particular species. Here is a general outline of how I would do so keeping in mind you need to also need to be in good standings with “Ma Nature” to align the stars….

End of December through January is prime time for Monster Walleyes through the ice. This past season we ended up with just under 40 walleyes over 26 inches in that stretch.

Feb-Mid April are great for combination trips fishing Walleyes, Pike and panfish. Keep in mind here on the border we can ice walleyes through mid April!!

End of April into the first couple weeks of May are awesome for monster Pike!! This year we ended up with exactly 40 pike exceeding 10lbs with 2 over 20lbs!!

Mid May until first week or so in June can be very good timing for monster slabs!! Eyes and Pike will be had also.

First Part of June has Smallies around the beds and can produce awesome topwater action.

July-August has some of the best quality walleye fishing in the state. Big numbers of big fish plus eating fish!!

September-October is my personal favorite for Trophy walleyes and often non-stop Crappie action. Last September-October we CPR’d 11 eyes over 28 inches!!

November is for the hardcore anglers looking for Trophy fish prior to ice up!!

For Family trips in which the kids might want to dip there toes in the water I’d shoot for July and August!! Big water takes a long time to warm!!

Hope this helps a few of you boys, and remember based on Ma Natures agenda cycles can change a bit earlier or later, but this is a general timeframe that might allow you to better plan your next trip targeting your favorite species!!

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Excellent advice about the Rainy Lake area!!!!

bennyj
    sunrise mn

The funny thing is I booked a trip with you and its in June. The funny thing is that you don’t mention much about June. When were you planing on putting this out I might have changed my dates.

lol

I an’t gonna change my dates but I find it funny that june isn’t looking so good.

That’s alright I don’t need any monsters I just want some fish preferably Walleye.

matt pistorio
    Chicago, IL

Benny,

I wouldn’t fret. I have a feeling that no matter what day or month you go out with RD you will find the fish. Better yet, based on experience I think they find you when you are rollin’ in Daze’s “Fish Casket” .

z85chevy
    international falls, mn

benny,

like matt said…get there and you will be on the fish!!! i crushed the walleyes and got into some big slabs…and im a weekend warrior…he’s on the lake for a living! there are good guides and average ones…and some that truly have a passion for it! YOU WILL GET BIG FISH!

arklite881south

LOL!! This is a general guideline…. June of course is always a good month to fish. Was just trying to answer a general question I’ve received.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

There are so many options in June – where do you start? Smallmouth, crappies, walleyes, pike, shallow lake trout north of the border….decisions, decisions. So many opportunities, so much water and so little time. At least sturgeon are off the list in June.
    The main thing you hope for in June is a couple consecutive days of consistent weather.

bennyj
    sunrise mn

I am not worried at all to say the least! I will just be glad to be relaxing. I was just busting your balls Chris! Haha

I sure got everyone fired up! LOL

Weather is what it is. And its gonna be a dam good time!

arklite881south

LOL!! We’ll have a good time buddy!! Your job is to catch fish, and I’ll take care of the rest!! Quite a few nice slot walleyes today, but nothing in the eater category. Also some nice pike and a huge smallie. I chased a huge pike around I hooke up for about 5 minutes with my electric trolling motor before he spit my hook. Looked to be another 20lb fish, but just a fish story now!!

Scottie61
    Hudson, WI

Just scheduled a long weekend trip for 3rd week in June with my son, so I’m hoping we’ll do better than last year at Kabetogama in the late July heat.

I’m pretty excited — haven’t fished Rainy since I was a kid in the early 70’s, on Black Bay, and did pretty well.

Please keep your reports coming!

Thanks!

Scott

arklite881south

Hey Scott!!

You’ll fall in love with Rainy Lake all over again!! Walleyes love the heat up here!! This is a big body of water, and we take awhile to heat up. Great time for numbers of big walleyes!!

Welcome to IDO and the Rainy Lake forum!!

Scottie61
    Hudson, WI

Chris,

I’ll have to keep up on any reports as our weekend approaches, and I hope the water stays cool until then. We’ll be based out of Island View.

Years ago the main thing used in Black Bay was just trolling with the Prescott “Strip-On” minnow rig, and that was always the thing that seemed to work best. With the small resort boats we didn’t get out of the bay very much. Rainy, though, will be a new game for us, so we’ll have to listen to you and others for advice.

Thanks!

Scottie

arklite881south

Hey Scottie,

Welcome to IDO!!

When is your Rainy Trip??

Scottie61
    Hudson, WI

Chris,

June 19th – 21st, or 22nd if things go well!

Scott

bretmo06
    midwest

Gotta love rainy lake in june! been doing a week up there every year for the last 10 i cant get enough of the big smallie topwater bite in early june,great info btw thks!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.