GIANT EEL POUT CAUGHT ON RAINY LAKE!!

• arklite881south

Hey Boys!!

Check out this Giant Eel Pout we pulled out of my permanent rental last night!! The night pout bite is on!! Poor mans lobster baby!! This Pout measured at 38 inches and weighed 14.5lbs!! The Fishing queen caught all the action on a hand held video recorder, so we’ll try load the clip on the site for all to enjoy. We might need to edit the audio a bit as I was unaware the Queen was taping for all to see!! Pretty cool clip!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Wholly Crap Batman !!!

Chris !!! That sucker is HUGE !!!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Wholly Crap Batman !!!

Chris !!! That sucker is HUGE !!!

I would say so

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Holy Crap! That thing is ugly!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Bet you guys where eating good that night. Are you getting many of them?

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

SWEET!!

arklite881south

We fished Pout for about 1 1/2 hours, and caught 4. Not a bad way to spend a few hours. Pretty good pout fishing for those whom spend the night in the shack. Pike and walleye in the day, and then chances at Pout like this Freak!! Yep we boiled it up. Let me tell you it had big back straps and tail meat. Yummmy!! A little 7-up boil with bayleaves and drawn butter!! Might be one of the ugliest fish up here, but certainly one of the tastiest!!

Actually truth of the matter is if most people knew what Cod and Halibut looked like or many other common fish to grace the freezers of average americans I bet there would be quite a few noses turned up. When I was a kid My grandfather always told me about how the Ling Cod, Burbout, Lawyer, Eel Pout… WHATEVER YOU’D LIKE TO CALL IT has the best tasting meat around. BUT…….Of course he had a hankering for Muskrat, Dandelion oysters…

You will flip out when you see the video clip of this BEAST coming out of the 8 inch hole. The light in the fishhouse doesn’t really illuminate the water very well, so when I saw the reflection of the fish coming up I quickly handed my fishing rod to my buddy, and reached deep for the gills!! YIKES was I suprised at the girth of this PIG!! I did look up the record pout in which was caught on LOTW weighing in at a massive 19lbs 3 oz. Soooo…. We’re still shooting for the record!!

In case anyone wonders we love to use high glow Lightning spoons with minnow heads!! Imagine that!! These fish don’t like to come far off the bottom, so only make them chase a foot up and stop. Normally it is LIGHTS OUT!! when they come into the bait!!! I have to admit I love pounding these big fish!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Looks like you crossed his eyes!

Chris, is there a steady bite going on up there?

arklite881south

Hey Brian,

Pike and Walleyes during the day with some big girls, and eel pout at night. Lots of big fish coming in right now.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

that’s a true trophy in anyone’s book.. congrats on a great catch..

and having the guts to bring that thing up through the hole..

I would be scared to death of that ugly beast..

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

They are called “Lawyers” or Burbot here in Lake Superior… Officially fresh water Ling Cod… The Finnish people here LOVE EM! Not too many others eat them…but they are YUMMY!

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

I like the second pic of that pout!A face only a mother could love. Great catch. Now wishin I was fishin ,instead of just surfin about here on the puter. Best of luck fishin! WHITETIP

riverfan
    MN

Awesome fish and ditto on the table quality. Just to prove it to myself I did fresh pout, walleye and sunfish with a torsk recipe and it was pout hands down.
    john

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I have never caught one. What do they fight like? It does look like a powerful fish!

As usual, great looking fish Chris.

FDR

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

You can throw every walleye back as far as I’m concerned, mmmmmm Pout!!!

Got that right!
    When we going Mack???

arklite881south

Pout will give you a good heavy fight much the same as a big walleye. With that long tail they can really pull. This fish had me a bit curious as when the water started pumping in the hole it gave me 3 hard drag screaming runs!! In the back of my mind I’m thinking 16lb NIGHT WALLEYE!! Nope!!!! But very huge POUT!! Have to admit it was quite a thrill!! You can bet myself the Queen and our customers will likely be trying to top that mark in the next few weeks!!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

That thing is a beast! I’ve had them wrap around my arm before, but that thing could probably get wrapped around your whole body.

willhorgan
    USA

Nice!!!!!!!!!!! Now how about cooking instructions!
    Last one we pulled in years ago smelled like a locker room and tasted like the butt hole of a dead skunk.

arklite881south

Hey Touchy!!

I boil it in 7-up and dip in melted butter!! Good Stuff!! Cut the fish directly behind the head and make an incision around the top side of the belly area and then down behind the guts. Then take a couple pliers and pull the skin off like you were skinning a bullhead when you were a kid. The backstraps are awesome, and don’t forget the tail meat. The 5-7lb fish have nice meat on them!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.