Ice Out Walleye On Rainy

• beanman
    Omaha

I’m heading to Rainy late Friday night. I’ve never been up there this early before and have no idea what general techniques to use. I’m assuming they’ll be shallow. Should I be casting rocky points? Fishing transitions into bays? Any real basic advice would be appreciated. I had planned on just doing a pike trip but now my wife tells me she’d rather fish for walleye.

Thanks!

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Find some dark bottom bays, and a creek inlet would be a plus. The water warms faster in these locations and they are more active. Toss light jigs with minnows or smaller plastics. Fish them early morning and towards evening for the bigger fish. Good luck!

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Just an fyi – your options will be limited this weekend. As of today Sand Bay still had ice. That might be gone by Friday but east of Island View is very much in doubt. The forecast for the next 3 days is cloudy with lows in the low 30’s and highs in the mid 40’s. Not good ice melting weather although we did have over .5″ of rain today and 20-30 mph nw wind forecasted tomorrow.

beanman
    Omaha

Well that sucks… I was thinking ice would be off by Thursday or Friday but looking at satellite images from 5/10 now I’m pretty worried. I guess maybe I’ll have to postpone one week. Thanks for the information.

FishingQueen
    International Falls, MN

Yup, next week is looking better for Ice Out for Rainy. Lake Kabatogama is out and you can get to Kettle Falls thru there, then from Kettle you can get on Rainy and go about to the Brule Narrows. Only bays open on Rainy. Its breaking up though.

beanman
    Omaha

Quote:

Yup, next week is looking better for Ice Out for Rainy. Lake Kabatogama is out and you can get to Kettle Falls thru there, then from Kettle you can get on Rainy and go about to the Brule Narrows. Only bays open on Rainy. Its breaking up though.

If I were to go on Kebatogoma to Kettle Falls, where would I launch from on Kebatogoma? I’ve never been to that lake, but I’d like to keep my options open. I’ve got a 10 hour drive to get up there so I’m going to need to make a decision soon.

hablew
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Ash River boat landing is where you can get on. I’m hearing reports that the walleyes are biting in the narrows between Kab and Namakan. Like really biting. Get a hotel room at Kettle Falls and explore. I’m going up Friday morning and staying till Tuesday. Should be an adventure.

beanman
    Omaha

Quote:

Ash River boat landing is where you can get on. I’m hearing reports that the walleyes are biting in the narrows between Kab and Namakan. Like really biting. Get a hotel room at Kettle Falls and explore. I’m going up Friday morning and staying till Tuesday. Should be an adventure.

Do you know what the cost is to get my boat portaged around the falls into Rainy and then back again? I’d probably go that route for a little pike fishing after I limit out on ‘Eyes

hablew
    Chippewa Falls, WI

It’s either $20 or $40 for the round trip portage.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

In addition to the public landing on the Ash River Trail there is the VNP ramp which works well.

Keep your eyes open the water is low right now. Not low to be dangerous but lower then normal. Pay attention and you will be fine.

hablew
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Sean from Kettle Falls said the ice is out on the eastern bowl of Rainy and on Namakan. He said a group of guys went out from Kettle and didn’t see any ice on the eastern bowl.

beanman
    Omaha

Quote:

Sean from Kettle Falls said the ice is out on the eastern bowl of Rainy and on Namakan. He said a group of guys went out from Kettle and didn’t see any ice on the eastern bowl.

I read the Rainy Lake Houseboats blog yesterday and sounds like this weekend should be fine. http://rainylakehouseboats.com/blog/ice-out-update/

Also Ganrud’s Facebook update indicates similar. Sounds like it’s clogged up in the Brule Narrows but probably will be out today.

This is gonna be fun

beanman
    Omaha

Quote:

Quote:

I read the Rainy Lake Houseboats blog yesterday and sounds like this weekend should be fine. http://rainylakehouseboats.com/blog/ice-out-update/

Also Ganrud’s Facebook update indicates similar. Sounds like it’s clogged up in the Brule Narrows but probably will be out today.

This is gonna be fun

Well, the ice is not close to being out on the western side of Brule Narrows. I was able to make it to Lost Bay via the back channels, but the main lake had ice from about 3/4 mile east of Bushyhead island all the way east as far as the eye could see. Further northeast it still looked pretty solid. I’m a little disappointed that I was told by a few folks that they were confident the ice would be gone. I should have listened to the folks on here at IDO. Part of my enjoyment of the lake is cruising up-lake and I’m not able to do that. This is my first trip without visiting Kettle Falls.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Those who make money off the lake are usually the most optimistic about ice out. Just sayin’.

On our way across the causeway going east of Ft Francis today there was open water then broken ice closest to the causeway, but plenty of ice to the north and east. There was open water towards Stanjikoming.

deilertson
    Rainy Lake, MN

Well I can tell you first hand that there was plenty of ice out there yesterday. I did get to the Brule Narrows and beyond, but you had to stay in and around the islands to do it. The east basin had tons of ice as well. The wind is blowing hard today and I am sure there is damage being done to the ice sheet. Travel was fairly limited as of yesterday. You could get places but if the wind pushed the ice your way you were not getting home.

That said the walleyes are going like crazy in current areas! The ice should be gone soon.

Westy57
    St.Michael MN

Headed up this Friday and hoping for some better news as far as the ice goes! We are camping just west of Brul and have stayed on that site for the last 6 years! It wouldn’t be the same if the site doesn’t work out! DO they have the run lane markers out yet!

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Officially out today, 2 days short of tying a 1950 record.

hablew
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry for the bad info on the ice. Ice appeared all out on Monday though. I didn’t see any markers out on the main lake either. The markers are out in the Kettle Channel out to 41 (Surveyors Island I think is what it’s called) Fishing was slow. I caught some fish below the Kettle Dam and some in the channel. Went to Crane Lake on Monday and finally caught fish in the mouth of the Namakan River.

hablew
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Forgot to mention – just drag the jig. Put no action on it what so ever. With a little pop on the jig they never touched it. Several times I’d simply let it sit motionless and then pick it up to find a fish.

ziggaman

Just got back from 4 days on the East side…holy smokes what great weather! Water temps were all over the place averaging low to mid 40’s. Lots of fish in prespawn. We literally caught them everywhere in all different depths, but the biggest fish we caught were very deep in the main lake areas we target. The best bite for was in the channel if you can handle the traffic. Flat raps were good with overcast and chop, but not as dynamite as this time last year. I’m dying to get back up there soon as I’m sure that area will be lights out with another warm week ahead.

Cheers!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.