Canada side of lake

• Walleyeriz

We have a group of 7 fishing Rainy Lake for the first time; we are staying at Island View Lodge June 2nd to June 9th. Due to the application process of the RABC permit we have to make a decision pretty quick in regards to fishing the Canada side. We were going to book the IDO houseboat get together unfortunately vacation schedules conflicted with the date.

I’m looking for some incite as to whether or not fishing north is necessary. I’ve heard the smallmouth action is better up there. We are going to fish walleye, northern and smallmouth as well as croppy.

Thanks in advance for advise.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My suggestion is to process the RABC paperwork in person. Cross the border in IFalls and get the RABC permits from immigration on the CA side. Last time I did this, approximately 1 month ago, I was in and out in 30 minutes.

As for the “need” to fish Canadian waters, there really isn’t one. I’ll grant you the smallie fishing is likely a bit better in Canadian waters but the fishing on the US side, reference Granrud’s fishing reports for the last 4 years, is no slouch.

Walleyeriz

thanks James,

On the houseboat trip do you guys hit canada waters?

jc3363
    LaCrosse,WI

I wouldn’t bother with the Canadian side.
    I’ve stayed at Island View at about the same time of year your heading up. It was our groups first trip to Rainy and didn’t know what to expect. There is so much water….

I had never spent the money to hire a guide in my life, but shelled out and booked Chris Granrud for a half day. Best money I ever spent. We learned some good spots but more importantly we learned what patterns the fish were hitting on. Caught fish all week. I’ve been back 4 times since then and gone out with Chris for a half day each time.

If you want to go to the Canadian side to say you were there,I’m sure you could do well. But you sure don’t need to just to catch fish.

115Opti
    Phillips, WI

I have been to Rainy 7 different times and most of them have been the second full week of June. We have never been to the Canadian side and have never felt the need to try it. I agree on getting help from Chris to get you started in the right direction. My group is always the do it your self kind of group and we took a few lumps for a few years in trying to find fish. Now that we have learned the lake better it seems like I see Chris fishing the same areas on a regular basis. There is so much water on our side of the border, I don’t see the point/cost of going over to the Canadian side. Just my 2 cents worth.

Walleyeriz

Quote:

If you want to go to the Canadian side to say you were there,I’m sure you could do well. But you sure don’t need to just to catch fish.

We’ve been to Canada several times. My son ( 18 years old ) and I have done the same fly-in trip every year since he was 8. The reasons we are trying Rainy instead the fly-in we’ve done the past 10 years is the travel time…11 hours verse 14 hours driving, hassle at the border, 1 hour load plane, ½ hour flight…long day. Also the comfort of fishing out of our own boats is a plus. The lake we‘ve been going to has great walleye and northern fishing but no smallmouth. The only reason we are even considering crossing the border on the lake is what we’ve read about the smallmouth fishing to the north. We already plan on getting a guide our first day, I’m going to check Chris’s schedule today, I think he will be on the houseboat trip the day we need him. If we can’t get Chris, any other guide recommendations

Thanks for the input.

arklite881south

A very good question. Here is my opinion on RABC cards. Options are ALWAYS GOOD when it comes to angling. Does a fisherman “NEED” to fish Canada to catch good fish…..NO SIR. Most of the guides if not all of us will fish the bulk of the season in US water. Still as an option I’d say it is something to consider. Rainy Lake is vast (Overwhelming to newcomers at times). Learning US water on your first trip might be considered a good first trip. My guide schedule quite frankly can be a bit tough to find yourself a slot late in the game. We pre-book as much as possible and have a pretty high rate of return biz. Still we welcome new customers and do our best to put you on our schedule or steer you in the right direction to other guides I work with. I am also willing to do a Map Consultation in the evenings should my schedule not allow us to fish together. This is a nice option for many groups looking for some guidance. Again…….Options are a good thing!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

thanks James,

On the houseboat trip do you guys hit canada waters?

I never have in the 4 years I’ve attended. I have an RABC + Ontario license as will everyone in my group for the spring trip but it is unlikely that we’ll spend much if any time outside of US waters. Historically over the 4 years we’ve had the houseboat trip only 2 or 3 groups have ever gone into Canada to my knowledge.

Walleyeriz

Thanks again James, I think we’re going to play it by ear….we always have the option of driving over and getting it if we want ( didn’t realize that was an option until I read your last post) BTW excellent web site you’ve got going here . Just stumbled across it while surfing for info on Rainy Lake. Hope you all have a blast on the Houseboat trip, looking forward to joining one in the future.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks again James, I think we’re going to play it by ear….we always have the option of driving over and getting it if we want ( didn’t realize that was an option until I read your last post) BTW excellent web site you’ve got going here . Just stumbled across it while surfing for info on Rainy Lake. Hope you all have a blast on the Houseboat trip, looking forward to joining one in the future.

Well welcome to the Rainy Lake portion of IDO. I know you won’t find a better source for Rainy Lake info anywhere on the net thanks to Chris’ diligent reporting.

We’ll look forward to fishing with you on one of the future RLH trips.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Not to hijack the post or confuse you but……..

You can actually take a short 5 minute walk across the bridge. Walk into the customs on the Canadian side, grab your border crossing pass walk directly across the street and get you Canadian license. Walk back across the bridge. 1/2 hour to 45 minutes start to finish. I only mention this because at times there can be a long line of trucks looking to get into Canada. Walking is easy and fast.

Be sure you have a passport to expedite things and to return to the United States.

timmy

Just remember if you choose to go through the steps and associated costs of the RABC and plan on fishing the Ontario waters, there are several regulations you need to keep in mind that are not in effect on the MN waters. Alcohol in the boat – not even open containers – but simply in possession is not allowed. Leeches and minnows must be purchased in Canada – and a receipt needs to be on hand. Alos – limits and size requirements can also vary…

IMHO, it is not worth the cost and hassle, as there is no shortage water and fish on the MN side. 7 guys buying OIntario licenses/outdoors cards and RABC’s adds up to a lot of cash. Personally, I would rather buy more beer and gas with that amount of money.

T

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

7 guys buying OIntario licenses/outdoors cards and RABC’s adds up to a lot of cash. Personally, I would rather buy more beer and gas with that amount of money.

T

Heck that might be enough to afford a lot of Chris’s time!!! Hope he’s got an opening for ya!!

Mark

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

7 guys buying OIntario licenses/outdoors cards and RABC’s adds up to a lot of cash. Personally, I would rather buy more beer and gas with that amount of money. Heck that might be enough to afford a lot of Chris’s time!!! Hope he’s got an opening for ya!!

Mark

LOL!! There isn’t a right or wrong answer as it pertains to the Canadian side or Rainy Lake. It’s wonderful and so are the vast US waters. Big fish inhabit both sides of the border I promise. Whatever fisherman decide; The most important thing is to KICK BACK…..and thoroughly enjoy your fishing trip. Unplug from the hustle and bustle of today’s world and truly soak in the wonders of Voyageurs National Park and Rainy Lake. Each and every angler has a slightly different philosophy on what makes their trip a true success. For guys that want to fish Canada I’m licensed with work permits to fish either side (summer or winter). Makes no difference to me.

What we do see often is guys that decide to not hire a guide and spend the first half of the trip or the whole trip struggling to get on the right pattern or the right fish. They can go away with a bad taste in their mouth and nobody wants that. They often contact the resort owners and try hire a guide last minute to save a trip. Most of the sought after guides aren’t available last minute.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

There isn’t a right or wrong answer as it pertains to the Canadian side or Rainy Lake. It’s wonderful and so are the vast US waters. Big fish inhabit both sides of the border I promise.

Well said Chris.

We fish the Canadian side exclusively and have never felt the need to come south just as others don’t need to go north across the border. It speaks volumes about how great the fishery is.

As earlier noted if you do decide to cross into Canada be aware of the rules. Get a copy of the fishing regulations and leave other things back in the states. Booze was mentioned but fresh potatoes for shore lunch is another to leave behind.

Good luck! We’ll be up around the same time as you and the IDO trip. Still working out details but should be driving up the north arm on Saturday the 2nd for a week. When you get back you’ll have to post how it went.

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

There isn’t a right or wrong answer as it pertains to the Canadian side or Rainy Lake. It’s wonderful and so are the vast US waters. Big fish inhabit both sides of the border I promise.

Well said Chris.

We fish the Canadian side exclusively and have never felt the need to come south just as others don’t need to go north across the border. It speaks volumes about how great the fishery is.

As earlier noted if you do decide to cross into Canada be aware of the rules. Get a copy of the fishing regulations and leave other things back in the states. Booze was mentioned but fresh potatoes for shore lunch is another to leave behind.

Good luck! We’ll be up around the same time as you and the IDO trip. Still working out details but should be driving up the north arm on Saturday the 2nd for a week. When you get back you’ll have to post how it went.

Good reminders Pat!! We’ll be posting I’m sure!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

When you get back you’ll have to post how it went.

Count on it. And you do the same, please.

Walleyeriz

Quote:

Alcohol in the boat – not even open containers – but simply in possession is not allowed. Leeches and minnows must be purchased in Canada – T

Can’t have a beer in the boat…..thats crazy talk

3andadog

My experience has been that I don’t see as many boats on the Canadian side. Having said that the last time I was getting a crossing permit at Fort Francis they tossed my truck on a slow rainy day. Should have walked across the bridge as was pointed out. They even figured out that I didn’t have my boat with me, said they figured it because of the boat cover, straps, and spare tire.

Walleyeriz

I Think We are staying on the US side this trip, playing it by ear. first time on the lake, I think we will have plenty of exporing to do without going north

Thanks

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Booze was mentioned but fresh potatoes for shore lunch is another to leave behind.

I understand the booze , but the “fresh Potatoes”??? What up with that???

Mark

Walleyeriz

Quote:

Quote:

Booze was mentioned but fresh potatoes for shore lunch is another to leave behind.

Mark

weve had to buy our potatoes over the boarder for the last ten years…Ther first year we had to leave 15 lbs of potatoes at the boarder, cross the boarder and buy 15 lbs.one more thing I wont miss about our fly-in trip.

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Who knows Mark!! Something to do with dirt I imagine.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.