Early ice out on Rainy lake

• arklite881south

Early ice out in itself won’t directly effect fish movements. Many anglers have felt that our historic early open water playground might also change fish movements as it pertains to the calender. Most anglers fish the Calendar and not present conditions. June will fish like June…….July like July and so on. The state even tried to move up our fishing opener leaving guides/resorts left fielding hundreds of calls and emails of how this might effect scheduled trips. Eventually our governing brain power decided giving one week notice to an early opener wasn’t likely wise, and sets a precedent for the future. 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other. Local anglers would get one more week at Walleyes and tourist traffic likely would miss out on Opening day hoopla. Slice it and dice it however you like.

As we discuss the early ice out; This thinking of fish movement/activity being ahead of last year could have been partially correct. The departure of ice can promote water temperature increases with the right warming factors. This hasn’t been the case this season here in “Borderland”. In fact many local residents have prayed our March temps would be brought back here in April!! LOL!! Snow has covered the Kab/Rainy Peninsula in the last few days. That cold water has been flushed into the lake. If we’re ahead of a “Normal” year I’d estimate it to be quite minimal as it directly translates to water temperatures and fish movement.

Expect Water temperatures to warm slightly this week, but remember that the sustained wind directions can greatly inhabit warming when blowing in main basin water. Strong East winds will cool down East facing bays leaving West facing bays a few degrees warmer. Strong North winds will have bays on the south side of the lake (US WATER) shivering.

Though it seems a bit trivial……Beyond the obvious warming factors of sunshine it is the wind direction over the past week that can play the critical role in determining fish holding locations. A few degrees can be the difference between violent striking fish or you and your buddy saying pondering “TOO EARLY I GUESS”.

Learn it….Understand it….Use it. You’ll catch MORE fish.

On a side note; Our Rainy Lake Houseboat excursion is coming up fast boys!! Still have a few openings!! Get that kitchen pass punched today. Single anglers, You and a buddy…….WE WANT YOU!! Fishing is going to be CRAZY GOOD!!

I’ll be on the water DAILY until that trip. I’ll let you drink from the fire hydrant on my Pre-Launch seminar.

Walleyeriz

Good report, heading up the first week of june I will start watching the weather patterns a week before.

Thanks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.