Woves-n-Walleyes

• arklite881south

When you sit positioned on your sled watching a Gray wolf on a deer kill you know your officially working “Wilderness Walleyes”. It’s the kind of fishing that those who experience it will rarely trade for Brat burning/Football throwing trips.

Good friend and fellow guide Ryan and I ripped through fresh powder snow in a recent adventure coming upon a fresh kill site while kicking a Gray Wolf off a 4 legged meal. About 2 hours later the wolf returned seemingly lacking concern as we fished a mere 1/4 mile away.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I’d pass on brats and footballs to see something like that. That’s awesome Chris!!

arklite881south

Quote:

I’d pass on brats and footballs to see something like that. That’s awesome Chris!!

It truly was neat. I can honestly say I have the best office space in the world, and never lose sight of that.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

So wolves really do kill deer

I would have loved to see that

arklite881south

I’ll give those wolves credit Jeff. The deer was picked clean and it was a fresh kill probably from the previous night. That morning we watched a big doe or buck walk the edge of the lake very cautiously. Absolutely did NOT want to climb the ridge……Can’t say I blame it yet that is where the food is. We figure at least the one wolf was watching us from the steep ridges before it finally said heck with it and came back out for another snack with us clearly in view.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

That is a cool wilderness experience!

Joel

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Chris,

I look forward to the day that you will finally be able to put that Bigfoot rumor to rest or all of us.

On a serious note, what else makes a person feel more alive and alert when that hair stands up on the back of your neck, and your instincs are telling you to be wary of your present situation.

I have to admit there is a bit of jealousy here :rotflmao

arklite881south

Quote:

That is a cool wilderness experience!

Joel

No doubt about it. Whichever side of the wolf debacle a guy finds himself aligning with a wolf sighted in natural surroundings is still very cool.

arklite881south

Quote:

Chris,

I look forward to the day that you will finally be able to put that Bigfoot rumor to rest or all of us.

On a serious note, what else makes a person feel more alive and alert when that hair stands up on the back of your neck, and your instincs are telling you to be wary of your present situation.

I have to admit there is a bit of jealousy here :rotflmao

LOL!! I still think if a boot manufacturer were to put a big foot print on the bottom of a boot it could get really fun out there.

starvin pilgrim

When I first read the headline, I thought Elmer Fudd would be the poster.

arklite881south

Quote:

When I first read the headline, I thought Elmer Fudd would be the poster.

LOL!! I have been known to wear an Elmer Fudd hunting cap.

wally1992
    Evansville MN

Those wolves are clean eaters! Will they come and get the bones also?

arklite881south

Quote:

Those wolves are clean eaters! Will they come and get the bones also?

The wolves are indeed very clean eaters. They will make very quick work of a kill, and I’ve personally rarely seen waste. Though our beloved deer get the press other animals such as Beaver, rabbits, otters and even mice make up a big part of the Gray wolves diet.

The bone structure of deer kills will litter the ice while serving as a brutal reminder of the harsh realities of the predator vs prey battlefield.

hermit

Not at all suprised that the Bearcat and the owner/operater in question you were on the water with was’nt offering photo opps any more than the wolves in question! Ryan definetly knows more than he’d let most onto with ol’ Rainy! What many don’t realize is that even though Rainy is’nt hyped up quite like Red or LOTW’s for an ice fishing destination because the fish don’t come “easy” in random locals such as there!

You show me a guy that has a “in the blood kinda passion” to be on the water, any water, and even more so throughout all four seasons, and I’ll show you a hardcore with an in the know knowledge that any outsider’s single time on the water simply can’t match up against!

Rainy Lake, during winter at least,for some reason somehow easily seperates greenhorns from those in the know like any other water body I’ve ever known…………period!

Between yourself Chris, and Ryan, I’m certain you two could humbly, single handedly sell a lot of lake maps and mouthpiece transition/seasonal localities on maps that would put anglers catching fish for years and years;before the “honeyholes” eventually dried up or withered of their overall quality; that being 40 inch class pike, 26 plus inch walleye, a few jumbo perch, slabasourus crappie, pout and whitefish and world class smallies)………….and yet given any one season, fish move so as one spot is’nt always red hot; but given the knowledge of the entire season year in and out like the Alpha wolf…….when, where and why to capitalize on the prey…………..it’d be priceless info to the public!

Rainy is special for many reasons I suppose, cetainly her reluctance to give up easy meals to just anyone, anytime is also a blessing!

arklite881south

Very well said and well written. I thoroughly enjoyed that read!! Yes Ryan and I are good friends and truly enjoy fishing together when we get the chance. Beyond that I think both of us hold a true passion for the woods and funny enough while we’re fishing we’re regularly talking sheds, Deer Hunting and wolves. SO VERY TRUE….The ole Rainy Lake has her secrets and though produces elite caliber fishing………certainly can have anglers scratching heads as well!! I’m often humbled by Rainy Lake and it is just that humbling every so often that makes me love it that much more.

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

chris I have enjoyed the couple of trips I have up there and I must say you get to see some of the best things I can wish to see fish on bud and I hope we can meet up in the futher so I can see more of that great wilderness you get to enjoy every day

arklite881south

Quote:

chris I have enjoyed the couple of trips I have up there and I must say you get to see some of the best things I can wish to see fish on bud and I hope we can meet up in the futher so I can see more of that great wilderness you get to enjoy every day

Thanks Bud!! I must admit we feel quite fortunate to have both this fishing and wildlife at our doorstep. Love to fish with you team again in the near future!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.