Moonlit Walleyes 9/10

• loren_keizer

I had the oppurtunity to hit the water last night with a couple of friends, Bryan and David. We were heading out to do some crankin’ for walleyes as the weather seemed to be almost perfect. The skies were clear and the lake was near glass when we got to the landing, the only thing we were hoping for was a little more ripple in the water.

Our first area we tried is normally a good area before the sun goes down, so we tried this area for around an hour until shortly after the sun went away. It didn’t yield the results it normally did, only giving up a few small walleyes and a keeper or two. Definitely not the way we were hoping the evening was going to start. Though I had already done better than last week, so that was a plus It didn’t take much for us all to decide it was time to head to another part of the lake. We then headed to our next spot in hopes that the bite would pick up otherwise we would be heading home early.

This spot proved to be a good one. It wasn’t long and fish were coming into the boat and we had good activity for an hour, putting some more fish in the livewell and releasing others as well. We were all able to get in on the catching this time, unlike my previous outing.

For the next couple hours the fish were still coming in, just not at the pace they were during our first hour. We didn’t get in as shallow as some boats did, as there appeared to be quite a few boats quite a ways up on the flat away from the breakline.

Shad Raps and Husky Jerks both produced fish for us. David had the big fish honors with a couple walleyes hitting that 20 to 20-1/2″ mark. Biggest fish for myself was 19-3/4″. There appear to be some good year classes in the lake right now, which is always nice to see.

It was a beautiful evening out on the water. The fish were biting and the company was great as well! Will have to see about getting out yet while the moon is still full.

adalinde
    Central Minnesota

Nice fish Loren!

Were you guys trolling or casting? What depths were you working?

Adam

bluegill63
    LaCrosse area, WI

nice report, I got one walleye in the 12-1PM hour on the Black R. near the LAX airport. It seems the shad were all over. Did you see any of that, too?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.