Red Lake Rookie

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I have relatives in the Park Rapids area and was thinking of heading to Red this summer. What time of year is best and what could a guy expect on his 1st outing?

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

I usally make a couple of trips every year with the best results in may and june fishing the first break from shore in 6 to 8 feet of water somtimes shallower pulling spinners or raps tell i find a good school of fish.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

For the easiest fishing of the season you would want to be there in may or very early June. Just like MCREW said, the first breakline and shallow as a couple feet. jigs, lindys, spinners, raps, all work. after opener, the walleyes disperse from the rivers and creeks/other spawning sites and set up along the first breakline that circles the fishable portion of URL. many people sit outside the Tamarack River and anchor with 200 other boats but really can catch them easlily throughout the whole north and south shores on the breakline.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

Like was said it’s one on the easiest lakes to find fish from the opener until they disperse in mid June. If you go there, once you are on the lake you will see the line of boats a set distance from the shoreline. They are fishing the first break line where it drops from 5-10 fow. The lake is very shallow a long way out, especially on the south or east side of the lake portion open to sportfishermen. Eventually you will hit the drop off. It seems anything with a minnow on it will catch fish in that early season. It’s a wonderfull place to bring people with out a lot of experience. You can set them up with Lindy Rigs with 1/2 oz sinkers in that shallow water and not worry about them getting snagged on the bottom as it is sandy. Slip bobber rigs and casting jig/minnows also work well if you prefer to anchor. Not very many resorts on the lake though and you may have a tough time getting a cabin. I go to the Big Bog State park on the Tamarack river and made reservations last May. I have not checked this year but usually by now there will be no weekend openings there from the opener until late June.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Opener in 4 feet of water just north of the river by the reeds. 40 walleyes in a little over a hour in 4 feet and a 15 inch crappie to boot. Or pull raps in 8 feet of water no problem geting 50 fish in half a day doing that too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.