Its picking up on Upper Red Lake

• cookie
    waskish minnesota on upper red lake

We have started to see a more activity here on the lake with some good fishing reports flowing in. Phil made it out for a bit thursday and landed a couple with 2 perch thrown in for good measure. I will start looking around next week after this cold snap firms things up a bit more.

cookie

I finaly wet a line for a bit tuesday eve. It was more of a scoutting the ice out then fishing but we did sit on one spot for 1/2 and hour or so.The first thing I noticed is the water looked much darker. Aftre not marking any fish I suggested to Phil to try the same spot during the day. So yesterday he headed out around 1 and caught a total of 6 fish 3 walleyes 2 perch and a small pike. So its a fishy area with a good day bite. Phil loves to fish but never has the best luck so for him to catch 6 fish he was pumped.
    The area I fished tuesday I measured 15 inch of ice with the top 4 inches of frozen slush/snow.

cookie

Quite a few fishermen this weekend and from all reports I have heard its been pretty darn good. Most are fishing close to shore at this time.
    I will be venturing out at some time today .I opened up our shorline and the next step is to mkea road to haul the houses out of the woods and onto the lake. So I would say The season is under way as of thursday for me. As I will be on the lake jst about if not everyday for the next 12 weeks or so. Its been a long wait as it always is. Gotta get to work

cookie

California to hit the ice today. Our first sleeper will be going out today. As long as we keep making ice we hope to have minnesota,montans,florida and utah out by this coming weeknd. They are heavy so the more ice the better.Idaho will have to wait closer to new years as it weighs 8700 lbs.
    The fishing was very good thursday and friday from all reports and slowed a bit on saturday.There was a lot of activity on the lake the last 3 days with most still staying within a mile or two of shore. I measured 4 spots yesterday and all were 14 1/2 inches of ice with 2 to 3 inches of frozen slush. I also ran my private road over to westwind and the ice is very rough under the snow and our plow trucks the red baron and blue thunder are in for a work out this season. I would describe it as washboard. Not sure how it will be further out for plowing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.