Red Lake Report 02-15-10

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

I am going up with a group of guys this weekend so I was up on Red for a little scouting mission yesterday. Did not get as much scouting done as I would have liked, 20-30 mile per hour wind across Red Lake makes it very difficult to set up a portable and to keep it from blowing around. I caught about a dozen Walleyes no real pattern but most were caught on a jigging spoon/minnow head combo, I caught 2 on dead stick with minnow. I marked a ton of fish, I would get them 2 feet or so off the bottom and then they would go away. Nothing big mostly 12-13 inchers, did lose one nice fish at the hole.

If you are heading up I would put the extension on, there is about 8-10 inches of really hard snow on top of the ice and I was right down to the power head without an extension, I am putting mine on this week.

Sounds like the weather is going to cooperate this weekend, hoping to do some hole hopping, I did not fish much outside my portable the snow kept drifting in the holes and I had a hard time finding them again, but for the short period of time that I did hole hop (on 3 or 4 occasions) I caught 3 of my fishing doing this. They seemed to be the aggressive fish because they would hit it almost immediately upon dropping the jigging spoon down. So hopefully that will bode well for this weekend.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Sounds like you should have a successful weekend ahead of you! Make sure to post a report! RR

mnbassin
    Mpls, MN

I was up there last weekend, graphed tons of curious fish. Untill i swicthed to light weight mono and a plain red hook with either a small shiner and or a med fat head. It was on, from 9am to 5pm lots of 14-19″ fish. Set up the same thing on the tip-up and that also produced high numbers. Light rods light line and sensitive fish. Great. Good luck

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

How lightweight of a mono are you talking about, I have 3 pound on my dead stick, was also using a red hook as that has always produced for me.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Awesome.

You are hardcore for being out in that weather! I got brave and opened the door of the plow truck a couple times; and it was cold!

col._klink
    St Paul

Nice report! Heading back up in a couple weeks for some Walleye action!!! Cant wait!

Jonny P when does Pike close up there?

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

Jonny P when does Pike close up there?

Same as the rest ot MN, Feb 28th.

col._klink
    St Paul

For some reason I keep thinking its April 14th not sure where I got that idea???

Thanks

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

That’s when Walleye closes on border waters…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.