Johnny P Portable Pics

• huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Say that 5 times REALLY fast. Anyhow a while back I saw a post and Johnny was going to post some pictures of the mods he did to his Otter portable. Maybe they did get posted, if they did could somebody steer me to them. I saw JJ was asking about them the other day. I am curious to see them since I am customizing an Otter at this time. (I can’t believe that Johnny would be to busy??!!) Just Kidding Johnny!!

THANX FOR THE HELP!!

If anybody else has any pics, ideas-Please post them. I have my own, but am always looking for other input. I know when I get done I will be sharing.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Nothing really fancy. Just some 1×6″s cut to fit the contour of the sled and some CLOSED cell foam that will not soak up water for padding. So far so good and nothing has broken yet.

The trick is to make sure your layout is not only very functional but “slam proof”. Make sure hard impacts from any direction do allow gear to move very far. This sled is ultra simple. I have made ones in the past with latched lids, tie downs and even fold out compartments but the weight off adding all that hardware and wood adds up fast.

As for fastening it to the sled I drill the holes through the tub over sized allowing for big pan head screws and allowing for flex of the tub. I also take and drill a small hole in each of the valleys of each runner in the very back, just enough for the water to run when its thawing out in the garage.

Best way to do it is get all the gear you will use…ever. Lay it out in front of you then figure out what you need to access setting up and what you will access when fishing. You notice my tackle box, fish bucket, rope light battery, and gadget compartment in the front are all accessible when sitting and the rod bag, skimmer, propane tank and heater all lock down under the seat. Just start packing it in and find the best pattern. That is the smallest Otter model and I have yet to not have something I need on the ice as my snomobile is also packed and rigged with a auger rack bucket carrier/rack.

PS Missing lunch box sits in the same compartment as the Marcums.

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Thanks for posting the pics Johnny. I kinda did the same thing with my 1 man Eskimo. Gonna trya nd go the same route with the Otter, but I am going to put in a bench seat that pulls up and lays down. Still doing a little ‘engineering’

Thanks again.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Best I ever seen was a custom built sled that my grandfather used when he would go to LOW Laker fishing every week. Every single item had its own padded place including the auger and even a vented compartment for a little gas jug. He also carried TWO full sized Mankato suitcase houses along with three 20lb propane cylinders. The coolest thing it fit right in his sled tracks while traveling with a flexible Teflon base. Of course those where the days before poly sleds and flip over shacks.

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

WOW!! You have got a lot of history in your family. I bet you can tell some stories.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

WOW!! You have got a lot of history in your family. I bet you can tell some stories.

We have been at this for four generations now. First trips involved sled dogs and row boats.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

A more true statement could not be made!

I’ve fished with Jon many times, and I promise, there’s never a dull moment. There’s quite a few people that rent permanents shacks from their outfit, but I’ve always felt that they’re just getting the tip of the iceberg by not hiring him for a day on the lake.

Learn something new every time, and most times it’s more than just one thing! My best two pike have come with him in open water, a 40″ and 44″, along with the 46″ we iced this December. My best numbers day for walleyes was with him too.

Seeing those old timey photos is cool! Here’s some of those fish I was talking about.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

I was thinking about this post and how it turned to the history of it all so I started digging through the archives.

1) Great Grandpa hauling hay to starving deer and caribou
    2) Your gun should always be three times your height
    3) The road less traveled
    4) Dogs and Sno-Shoes, modern travel
    5) Just another load of pulp on the minnow truck (winter work)
    6) “The Chief” my Great Grandpa’s Upper Red Lake fishing/shipping boat.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

There’s quite a few people that rent permanents shacks from their outfit, but I’ve always felt that they’re just getting the tip of the iceberg

Yes we do have a full year of fun up here in the bog.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Wow. Great stuff Johnny. When I think of dog sleds I picture them mostly in canada or Alaska. Did they get used a lot around your area back in the day.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Wow great pics Joel and Jonny

Cant wait to make a few memories of my own up there

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Quote:

I was thinking about this post and how it turned to the history of it all so I started digging through the archives.

Cool stuff, Thanks for posting them

shaky legs2

If you want to read a great book about the Waskish area and featuring Jonny’s great grandfather you can get the book “On the Trail” at the local Food and Fuel.

Johnsy
    Rochester, MN

Awesome pictures Jonny & Joel

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.