1/15 – 1/18 URL Report

• E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

11 buddies and I made the 5 hour trip up to URL on Thurday morning. We arrived at the West Wind Resort at 12:00 and were excited to hit the ice. Quickly we dropped off our bags and drove to the access. We had read many reports from the lake prior to the trip but didn’t really use much of what we have heard because the roads were not plowed to the Center Bar or Rock Pile Reef. Using the Lowrance XOG we found a spot we liked near Big Reef in about 12 feet of water. The frist two hours between 9 guys, we had 9 eater Walleyes. From what we heard from other groups on the lake we seemed to have the better luck. The temps were extremely cold, and in my experience that means a crappy bite. We went back to the cabins with reason to celebrate.

Friday and Saturday also prooved to be fishy days. Again using the XOG we marked our spot we liked. The Vexilar said we were right. The next two days we caught over 60 Walleyes. All were caught in the afternoon after 11 am and before 6:00 pm. The bite really slowed anytime after 6:30 pm. The West Wind Resort was great. I booked for next year during check out. Just would like to thank them.

russjudy
    Minnesota

sounds like you went portables- if so how was the snow and slush conditions while drilling,? i bet you guys just loved the wind and whiteouts?
    any great jigs you used on those tiny rods, to hoist those baby’s in–my guess is the spools squealed a bit on some of them?

did you use a camera, vex,?

you faired very well

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

the snow and slush was not bad at all at any time. We drove out in 4×4 trucks and parked where we could and then pulled our portables 50 feet to fish. The white outs on Sunday made us just stay in longer. We used Marcums, Vexilars, cameras, and GPS. We used bro bug jigs and spoons. A red hook and a minnow worked well. Red, white and green were the hot colors. Go glow.

russjudy
    Minnesota

sounds like you brought everything but the kitchen sink along and it paid off–
    now for the final ?

did you paint a big white “x” ON THE SNOW SO ALL OF US CAN FIND THAT SPOT?

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

The spot location was weird where we fished most of the time. It held fish but they bit in waves. Sometimes 40 minutes would go buy with no bite and then bam! Fish on. They were also rather aggressive coming up to eat and hitting it on the way down. We went out of West Wind’s access and stayed left when the road forked. When we had gone as far as the road would let us we went left and were actually driving back to shore to our holes. Felt funny but it worked.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great trip.

russjudy
    Minnesota

C-C Couple saw you guys- they were out just a bit further–flurries also–no set times

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Thanks for the trip report!!!!
    Jack

lakepepinfisher
    wi

WALTERS!!! Nice report brostein. Congrats on the successful trip! Hopefully it’s as good next year as it was this year. Let’s head over to Chippewa Falls when you have a chance. You in?

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

absolutely. I love these little Graemlins. Yeah I am for sure in.

masemlin
    Fountain City, WI

Way to go guys!! Looks like you had an awesome few days up there. Sounds like you did better then we did. We went off the landing at Rodger’s resort. We were 4 to 5 miles from shore. The roads were great and there was little to no slush. All in all it was a good weekend even if the fishing was slow for us.

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

you guys going up any more this year?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.