Westwind report Nov 20

• russjudy
    Minnesota

November 18, 2008

WE HAVE ICE!!!!!! The lake is frozen over as far as I can see. Last night it froze over so I don’t think I’m going to go out yet but soon. Maybe by the weekend or first part of next week. If the weather stays the way it has we will continue to make ice every night. It looks like there are plenty of rough ice patches to fish and that always makes things interesting, especially for plowing roads. It won’t be long now and we’ll be pulling fish up through a hole in the ice. Man I love the ice fishing season. See you soon!!!

russjudy
    Minnesota

November 21, 2008

We still have ice. I went out yesterday to about 7 ft of water and the ice was about 5 inches. Thinest spot I found was 3-1/2″, thickest 5″. Last night was close to 0 so I would say we have a little more today. I was thinking about fishing this weekend when I get some time. From a local pilot I hear the upper part is all froze over so wind shouldn’t be too much of an issue any more. But again it still is early and it could change, but I don’t think it will. Good luck!!

Scraper

That’s great to hear! Is early ice the best time on Red in your experience? We went out last year in early January, and had some success the first day, but day number two was pretty poor. I was looking at coming up in December this year….when is truck traffic ok out there? I’m sure it changes every year, but can you drive on the ice by mid December normally, or is it all the way into January?

russjudy
    Minnesota

as the reports come in more steady they will keep you updated- usually atv and light trucks by mid to late Dec-

good old mother nature will let us know, theres 5-6 right now (not sure how far out) but the ice is shifting some leaving cracks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.